6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:08 pm 

HC is the CMOs version. And if the reset is pulsing, that means that the watchdog (on my boards I call it the MPS: Million Pound Shithammer).

the 74HC123 is doing its job correctly as it is stretching out the reset pulses.

the program is not running because one of the program functions is to keep resetting the watchdog timer at regular intervals.

http://www.pinrepair.com/sys3/#cpu

What happens with your jumper in?

also, I dont see any issue about testing on a bench. unless you have a system 3 test fixture, you canot give a FULL test, but since you are on a frozen CPU situation, you can defintiely get it rolling with power applied to the point of seeing things roll.

by the way, where are you lcated? If you are around southern california, I can help out in person, I have access to 2 System 3 pinballs we can plug in and see what happs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:40 am 

Well i will take a look at the rest of the cpu.
It is a realy shot pulse. But just to be sure i ordered one.
As Clay mentioned you need a 74HC123AN. I got the 74HC123N. The AN is very specific.

I live in Weesp in the Netherlands, so going to your place is not an option at the moment ;)

I had a Sega Baywatch with an outgassed dotmatrix display. I traded that one for a fully working and nice looking Cactus Jack's. So i have a System 3 that works. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:52 pm 

Cactus Jacks is an interesting pinball in that it was designed outside of Premier and licensed in. from one of their customers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:12 am 

Benboogaard wrote:
I live in Weesp in the Netherlands, so going to your place is not an option at the moment ;)

Fun! Thats the place where I live!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:53 pm 

Your m ission, should you decide to accept it is to obtain the original source code in Turbo Pascal that operates Droomvlucht :D

Post subject: Re: 65C02 and 65SC02
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:17 pm 

I would like to confirm my understanding of the differences in the various 6502 instruction sets. I am currently using the Kingswood AS65 assembler, and it distinguishes between the 6502 instruction set, and an extended instruction set which it refers to as the 65SC02 instruction set. I've been unable to locate an original or scanned copy of user's or programmer's guide for the 65SC02. I've assumed, from information gathered on various sites (including this one), that the 65SC02 instruction set is the instruction set of the first WDC 65C02. I've always thought of that original processor as the W65C02, whose instruction set does not include the four zero page bit instructions introduced by Rockwell. Furthermore, the original W65C02 did not include the WAI and STP instructions introduced by WDC on the W65C816/W65C802 processors. In contrast, the current 65C02 instruction set is generally accepted to be the instruction set of the WDC W65C02S. Thus, the 65C02 instruction set is essentially the Rockwell R65C02 plus the WAI and STP instructions.

In the two figures below, I have tabulated the instruction set implemented by my FPGA core (on GitHUB). It is not cycle compatible with any of the existing processors, but it also differs in that unimplemented instructions are all treated as single cycle NOPs. In other words, it does not implement multi-cycle NOPs and skip over bytes in the instruction stream like a current 65C02, i.e. the W65C02S. Because of its microprogrammed instruction decoder and sequencer, it is easy to extend the core to support this mode of operation, but it was not intended to do so. Further, the core has additional logic for address computations so it does not incur additional memory cycles when indexed memory address calculations cross a page boundary.

In the two figures, each half of the full instruction set map, instructions in a black font indicate an instruction and addressing mode supported by the original 6502. Instructions and addressing modes I believe were added by WDC in the original 65C02 are shown in a red font. Instructions and addressing modes added to the original 65C02 by Rockwell and WDC are shown in a blue font.

If anyone sees an error in these tables, I would appreciate a reply or PM.

Attachment:
File comment: M65C02 Instruction Set Map: $00..$7F.
M65C02_Instruction_Set_Map_Lo.JPG
M65C02_Instruction_Set_Map_Lo.JPG [ 165.29 KiB | Viewed 2012 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: M65C02 Instruction Set Map: $80..$FF.
M65C02_Instruction_Set_Map_Hi.JPG
M65C02_Instruction_Set_Map_Hi.JPG [ 162.69 KiB | Viewed 2012 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:09 pm 

GTE Microcircuits, which later became California Micro Devices (CMD, not to be confused with Creative Micro Designs which designed and sold software and hardware for C64), used "SC" in their part numbers; so their CMOS 6502 was the G65SC02. They had 17 other similar numbers in my Jan '87 data book for variations on the CMOS 6502. These do not have BBR, BBS, SMB, RMB, STP, or WAI. Through some range of time that I'm not sure of, WDC put a "B" in their part numbers for the ones having the bit instructions, so the number was W65C02SB, but then I remember Deb Lamoree (sp?) at WDC telling me on the phone that they were dropping the "B" and all the 65c02's will automatically have the bit instructions. The bit instructions and STP and WAI are in my Aug '92 W65C02S data sheet though.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:46 pm 

Bet you kept those data books. :mrgreen: Bet you won't part with them if you do have them. :) I've been looking high and low for the California Micro Devices/GTE data books that you posted about.

Thanks for the confirmation of the timeline for these instructions. That's the way I understood it, and it agrees with the fact that in testing the Rockwell bit instructions and WDC WAI/STP instructions with the Kingswood assembler, I had to write macros for these six instructions.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:51 pm 

Yep, I don't throw away those old books. I've thrown away a few data books of companies I never bought from or used, but not the important stuff. A lot of it is not available online, or at least not easy to find when you need it. The sad story for others will be like National Semiconductor which was taken over by TI and their online data sheets were replaced with TI's which don't have nearly as much helpful info. I'm so glad I kept my four shelf-feet of National books. I still have 60 shelf-feet of books, mostly data books, (plus more in the garage, and more data sheets and ads in the file cabinets) and I would sure like to whittle that waaaaaay down, but I know that as soon as I do, I'll be sorry, because there will be just one book--I have no idea which one--that I'll need and wish I had kept. When I called Synertek to get the '85 data book, the woman on the phone told me Synertek was about to close its doors permanently-- but she still sent me the book. I still use that one frequently for reference on the '22 and '51, because I have my notes in it. My '87 Rockwell book has more info in it though.

Years ago, I did send Mike copies of things in the Rockwell and Synertek books that he didn't have in the documents archive yet, and he posted them. If there's something else you want, let me know, and I'll see if I have it and can either scan and email it to you, or to Mike to post here.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:19 pm 

Thanks for the pointer. I wonder why I can't seem to find any of the material in that archive with a google search.

I've bookmarked the index page.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:40 pm 

You've been here hardly over a year. That's not long enough to have found everything that's on this website! :wink:

I suppose a web search (we use ixquick.com [Edit, later: I've switched to duckduckgo.com], which works the same as Google but doesn't have the political and privacy issues) will fail to find a lot of things that are in the scans without OCR; so it would only find what's in the name that the file is linked to, like "1981-1982 Data Catalog (All Chips)".

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:58 pm 

That's an understatement. :D I found this thread through a google search. Perhaps I should have tried a search in the forum first.

I have gmail, yahoo mail, and a lot of other similar services on my blocked senders list. Since I did that the number of viruses, trojans, etc. that I receive have fallen off dramatically. Instead of one or two per week, it now down to one or two in 6 months. This year I've only had two attempts that have been reported by my anti-virus SW.

Will give that search service a try, but don't let BDD know.

Looking at this post, the four words the built-in spelling checker is notifying me as misspelled are: google, gmail, trojans, and BDD. :D Wonder if there is a message in that?

Sorry - back to business.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:47 pm 
Site Admin

MichaelM wrote:
I've been looking high and low for the California Micro Devices/GTE data books that you posted about.

I don't have the 1987 edition that Garth mentioned, but I recently scanned the GTE data book for 1984. The PDF is available with the other CMD/GTE datasheets.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:59 am 

Nice one Mike, thanks! (I scanned a few magazine articles recently - it's quite labour-intensive.)