6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 7:25 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:22 am 

The saga of poor vision continues for me and has put a sizable crimp in my activities. About a year ago, I underwent a procedure called pars plana vitrectomy, which was done on the left eye, the one giving me all the grief. I was told this was a preventative procedure to forestall more serious problems that might eventually developed. In other words, the surgery was intended to fix something that had not yet broken.

It didn't quite work out as expected. In less than a year, I went from okay vision in the left eye to incipient blindness, due to something called cystoid macular edema. The cause is unknown, but could be related to the vitrectomy. The edema has virtually stopped me in my tracks, insofar as doing any electronic work is concerned. To give you an idea as to how bad this has gotten, two years ago I was 20/30 in the left eye without correction. It is now 20/200 uncorrected and continues to deteriorate. Compounding the problem, objects seen with the left eye are wavy and distorted in shape. For example, a utility pole appears to have several kinks in it. A ball looks elliptical and watching television has become an exercise in figuring out what it is I'm seeing. The distortion and lack of focus in the left eye is so great I have almost no close-up depth perception and can't read anything smaller than 14 point type without magnification.

Anyhow, thanks to some persistence on the part of my primary doctor, I am now in a clinical trial for a new drug that may be able to reverse this problem. There is currently a drug on the market called bevacizumab that has been used off-label to treat macular edema.¹ I was treated with it and after a three month period, showed no response, and treatment was discontinued. Ergo my doctor suggested that I consider a clinical trial.

The drug being studied in the trial supposedly will be more likely to work in advances cases. However, that is an unknown at this time, as only the first phase of the trial has been completed. I will be in the second phase of the trial, which is the phase in which efficacy is determined, while carefully monitoring for side-effects. Test subjects will be randomly assigned to one of three groups, treated as follows:

1. Treatment with the study drug at the middle of the dosing range.

2. Treatment with the study drug at the highest safe dosage, "safe" having been determine in phase one of the trial.

3. Treatment at standard dosage with an existing product called Lucentis, which is considered the "gold standard" for macular edema treatment at this point in time. The "gold" part is apt: a single injection of Lucentis costs 1500-1600 USD.

Injections are directly into the "study eye" and are spaced at 28 day intervals. In between injections, monitoring of the study eye and general health will be frequently conducted. A total of 210 test subjects in the USA (including me) will in this part of the trial. Studies are also being conducted in the UK and Switzerland, Switzerland being the home of the drug manufacturer. Only the manufacturer will know into which of the three groups test subjects are assigned, with an equal number in each group. Subjects who are treated with the study drug and fail to respond will be treated with Lucentis after the trial has concluded, using the standard treatment protocol. No placebo is used—everyone in the trial will receive an active agent. They just won't know what they are getting and how much.

The study runs six months, after which a two month followup period with no medication occurs. In the event an adverse effect that has been caused by the study drug occurs, the subject will receive as much medical care as necessary to treat the effect. Reported side-effects during the first phase of the trial were generally mild, so I'm not overly concerned at this time. I've already received the first treatment and so far, nothing whatsoever has happened. I was told that if I do respond it will become evident in about three months.

So, now that it really is broke we're going to try to fix it again. We'll see!

—————————————————————————
¹There currently is a fierce battle going on in the UK and parts of the EU over the used of bevacizumab to treat macular edema. As it is an off-label use, national health care services are balking at paying for the drug, since no trials have been conducted on its use as an intravitreal medication. The manufacturer of the drug isn't willing to conduct a trial, since a newer drug (Lucentis) has been approved for treating macular edema. The catch is the huge cost difference between Lucentis and bevacizumab, on the order of 32 to 1 at current prices. Hence the national health care services are "rationing" use of these drugs, in a few cases, causing some patients with macular edema to lose their eyesight due to lack of treatment or delayed treatment.

In the USA, the use of bevacizumab or Lucentis is controlled if the patient is on Medicare (that would be me). Medicare generally requires the use of "step therapy" to determine if the less expensive drug will work well enough before authorizing the use of the more costly alternative. The problem is the injection process has some risk of causing serious eye infection or internal damage to the eye, resulting in irreversible blindness. Needless to say, there is a lot of resistance to step therapy where vision is involved. If the patient fails to respond to bevacizumab he or she then has to undergo the treatment regimen a second time with Lucentis, with a marked increase in risk exposure.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:05 pm 

My mother has been on the UK trail of Lucentis for a few years. She has wet macular degeneration in both eyes.

Whilst the drug may have slowed her rate of degeneration it has not improved her vision. She has gradually lost the ability to see objects clearly using normal vision and has to use perpherial vision and large type to read. Faces are just pink fuzzes to her.

One of the stranger side effects of this gradual loss is that she sees hallucinations where her brain takes the limited data coming from her eyes and decides that its something else. She often says she sees people in old style clothing and on bicycles when there is really nothing there at all.

Open Source Projects - https://github.com/andrew-jacobs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:04 pm 

BitWise wrote:
My mother has been on the UK trail of Lucentis for a few years. She has wet macular degeneration in both eyes.

Whilst the drug may have slowed her rate of degeneration it has not improved her vision. She has gradually lost the ability to see objects clearly using normal vision and has to use perpherial vision and large type to read. Faces are just pink fuzzes to her.

One of the stranger side effects of this gradual loss is that she sees hallucinations where her brain takes the limited data coming from her eyes and decides that its something else. She often says she sees people in old style clothing and on bicycles when there is really nothing there at all.

Apparently, some cases of wet macular degeneration (WMD) may have a genetic aspect to them. The study drug in the trial I am in targets that genetic aspect. It's related to the process of angiogenesis.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:04 am 

I hope you will get some good effect out of the trial. I'm intensely interested in everything about vision, due to my own, mostly lens-related issues (but now with more age-related focus issues). And some other potential problems running in my family. So far the retina is good, fortunately. But my doctor retired, and the replacement doctor decided to stop the bi-yearly checkups because everything has been good until now. But my father, grandfather, great-grandfather, and grand-uncle had those issues so I'm not happy about my doctor's decision. It feels like the one about the guy falling from a skyscraper, yelling to bystanders on his way down: "No worries, it's going great so far!"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:45 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
The saga of poor vision continues for me...

Incidentally, during the numerous vision exams I have undergone, it was positively confirmed that I have tritanomaly, which causes some degree of color blindness at the upper end of the spectrum. I've long had problems distinguishing blue from green from yellow, enough so that during military service I was disqualified for some assignments. Only recently did I undergo sufficient diagnostics to determine why.

It is thought that tritanomaly is due to reduced sensitivity of the blue cones of the retina relative to the other cones that sense red and green. The problem is genetically acquired and can affect both men and women to the same degree, unlike deuteranomaly, (red/green color blindness), which mostly affects men and is the most common form of reduced color perception. My maternal grandmother had tritanomaly and I suspect I inherited it from her via my biological mother—along with my good looks, stunning intelligence and lack of tolerance of fools. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:49 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
... it was positively confirmed that I have tritanomaly ...

At least you now have a medical explanation and excuse for the source of your triteness ... I'm still searching for mine ... :roll:

Mike B.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:17 am 

barrym95838 wrote:
BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
... it was positively confirmed that I have tritanomaly ...

At least you now have a medical explanation and excuse for the source of your triteness ... I'm still searching for mine ... :roll:

Me trite? Why I'm just a bit curmudgeonly, that's all.

BTW, last week I underwent the second of the six treatments I will receive during the trial. So far, nothing has gotten worse, but there has also been no perceptible improvement. :?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:15 am 

Always hoping for the best BDD.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:18 am 

whartung wrote:
Always hoping for the best BDD.

Me too! :D Thanks for the wishes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:46 pm 

Same here. Best wishes.

At least it sounds like you have good doctors. Which makes all the difference.

My grandmother went to an eye doctor that suggested she wear an eye patch on one eye and walk around with a magnifying glass on the other eye the rest of her life.

She obviously got a second opinion that resulted in cataract surgery. While it didn't fix all of her problems seeing, she did get to live a "normal" life with just glasses and not eye patches.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:38 pm 

cbmeeks wrote:
Same here. Best wishes.

Thanks!

Quote:
At least it sounds like you have good doctors. Which makes all the difference.

My grandmother went to an eye doctor that suggested she wear an eye patch on one eye and walk around with a magnifying glass on the other eye the rest of her life.

She obviously got a second opinion that resulted in cataract surgery. While it didn't fix all of her problems seeing, she did get to live a "normal" life with just glasses and not eye patches.

As is the case in other fields, medical personnel run the gamut from mediocre to miracle worker. When my left eye vision begin to rapidly deteriorate my previous ophthalmologist said there wasn't anything more that was medically possible. I wasn't convinced that I had reached the end of the line. Just on a lark, I threw a dart at the yellow pages and made an appointment to see another ophthalmologist, Dr. Sam Multack. He said he couldn't directly help me—he doesn't do retinas—but knew "some Harvard guys" who might be able to do something. I went to see these "Harvard guys" and here I am. :D

Last edited by BigDumbDinosaur on Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:52 pm 

Quote:
As is the case in other fields, medical personal run the gamut from mediocre to miracle worker.

How do you call a doctor who graduated bottom of the class in med school ?

doctor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:43 pm 

An ophthalmologist, a minister and an engineer are out playing golf, but they are exasperated by the slow progress of the game. This is owing to the party of players ahead of them, whose skills are such that they take an inordinately long time. "I've never seen anyone so slow," remarks the minister.

"That's true," the caddy interjects, "but you don't know the whole story. You see, those men are ex-firefighters. Years ago there was a fire at the clubhouse here, and those men were part of the crew that fought the blaze. But there was an explosion, and those men lost their sight -- they are blind! Out of respect for their heroic service, management granted them free use of the golf course for life."

"Oh, no -- poor souls!" exclaims the minister."I will definitely be sure to mention them in my prayers!"

"Hmm, there's been some new research lately," muses the ophthalmologist. "I'm going to read up and see if there's something can be done to help them."

The engineer also seems thoughtful. After a moment he says, "Y'know, the club could just schedule those guys to play at night!"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:05 pm 

Dr Jefyll wrote:
The engineer also seems thoughtful. After a moment he says, "Y'know, the club could just schedule those guys to play at night!"

Clearly, this engineer hasn't heard of "night golf". (-:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:20 pm 

Dr Jefyll wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: