6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 3:16 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:23 am 

scotws, very nice! What do you plan to do with that much storage? When I was still doing everything in DOS, I had a 32MB hard disc, and I never got it more than about 20MB full. That included DOS 6.22, my CAD and a few very dense PC board designs with up to 500 parts on a board plus smaller boards, my assemblers plus code for embedded processor and microcontroller work projects, tons of text-only email (the email being on an early online service in the 90's before everything had graphics, and going through a 2400bps modem), several manuals for our products, and other stuff. Yep, 20MB total usage. Then came Windows 3.1 along with a much bigger hard disc which suddenly had ten times as much on it. Then came Win95, 98, etc., and then Linux for the last 8 years and the disc requirements kept going up and up. Now just a few pictures would blow 20MB, but I don't anticipate ever doing photos, let alone videos, on a 6502/816 home-made computer, although I could see doing digitized audio that would eat up 20MB pretty quickly.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:39 am 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
scotws, very nice! What do you plan to do with that much storage?

Well, uh, there are the bragging rights ... :D

Seriously, I have no idea. It probably makes more sense to limit it to 256 MB, and then use the other SPI lines for a RTC/CAL, SD card, and possibly even drive a 20x4 LCD display, with one of the eight lines left for expansion. That way, I only use one 65SPI and the board can be smaller.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:19 pm 

I remember buying an incredibly expensive 286 AT clone in 1987 or 1988 ('87 I think), I wouldn't have used that kind of money for anything (almost) even today, not adjusting for inflation.. but that's how it was back then. It had a 40MB harddisk. This was long before the time of storing photos and videos, so I just used the PC for programming. There were some data files, but mostly programming. This was with DOS (I never moved to Windows. The next OS I used on a PC was OS/2, and after that it was Linux). Even so, I filled up that 40MB harddisk in two or three months. That's how long it took for the PC to become basically useless. I ended up giving it away to Russia or something only a few years later. What a waste. Wish I had kept it though, because that machine was a really high quality Taiwan AT clone, better than just about anything.
I guess the point is that even back then 40MB was not enough for everyone.. ;)

-Tor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:05 pm 

You know, the ROM thing isn't that big of a deal if you're going to use a 65816 anyways... because you can select to disable the internal ROM and/or RAM and use external (unless we're reading the datasheet wrong over here). The ROM contains some useful stuff too, and we'd like to use it, but.. it seems like it might disable some of those generous offerings of GPIOs that we need (so we might end up disabling ROM and using an MRAM for external RAM+ROM).
Just need to know a few things, such as: does the 65C51 xmit bit bug affect this MCU?
<SolraBizna> we need to know two things that don't appear to be in either datasheet for this chip
<SolraBizna> 1. what stable clockrates can we achieve at 3.3V?
<SolraBizna> 2. does the monitor require PIBER0=1, or does it just refer to P50 and P51 as PID0 and PID1?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:53 pm 

I mistakenly bought one to play with last year, or the year before.

It looks really, really good on paper. But without having your own mask ROM in it, it's very unimpressive.

You can have it for the price of shipping if I can find it. I'd be happy to get rid of it.