6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:05 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:43 am 

Hi,

recently I was reading in the Retro Brew https://www.retrobrewcomputers.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=46&start=0& forum about people building their CP/M systems based on Grant's 9-chip CP/M system. So seeing Grant's system mentioned I started reading the thread. Ok, this has nothing to do with 6502 but one if these SBCs rebuilds used a IDE to SD/SDHC/SDXC adapter. I did not even know such a thing would exist. I think this is a very cool idea. The IDE is 5V compatible and much easier to implement on a 6502 based system than a SD Card, not to mention a SDHC/SDXC card interface. Just search for "SD SDHC SDXC MMC Memory Card to IDE" in your favorite search engine, ebay or amazon. So I thought I drop a note here.

Cheers

Peter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:54 pm 

SD to CF to IDE also works, if you happen to already have a CF to IDE adaptor.

Attachment:
File comment: 2 Gig SD card, in a SD to CF adaptor, fitted to a CF to IDE adaptor.
SD in CF.jpg
SD in CF.jpg [ 56.94 KiB | Viewed 1310 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:06 pm 

Right, clever combination. However looking at the prices the single SD to IDE is more economic and if I understand it correctly it supports hot swapping of the SD card.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:39 pm 

All the SD/IDE-adapters I looked at especially mentioned that hot-swapping was not supported (although they called it 'CF card' everywhere, including on Amazon - it's just the same text copied everywhere: All sellers on ebay, aliexpress, and Amazon).
Quote:
Makes SD/MMC flash memory card be a super compact, cost efficient, anti-shock, low power consumption, no acoustic noise and fast access time HDD.
Enables IT engineers and embedded technology enthusiasts to use SD/MMC card as a normal IDE 2.5" hard disk.
Provides an alternative for data storage and transfer or test for motherboard, sound/audio/memory card, etc.
Ideal for some devices that required a fast and easy bootable device such as POS.
Be a SD/MMC card reader/writer.
Compatible for SD, SDHC, SDXC & MMC specification.
One 2.5" IDE hard disk driver 44pin male connector and one standard SD socket.
Supports PIO, Multi-Word DMA and Ultra DMA data transfer mode.
Supports boot function.
No external power required and powered from IDE interface.
Easy installation and no driver required.
Mini board design and no space wasted.
Dimensions: 36mm x 52mm.
Attention: This adapter does not support hot-swap of CF cards, so please turn off power when changing cards.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:16 pm 

I use an SD-to-IDE adapter on my DOS machine that has no SD card interface. It's not hot-swappable, so I have to re-boot every time I take it out, but that's super fast in DOS on a newish computer. I've been using it to transfer files to this Linux computer with internet access, something I don't need to do very often. I think I got the adapter for something like $10 on eBay. The solder connecting the SD card socket on the first one didn't last at all, cracking because there was no lead in the solder, so I re-soldered with leaded solder, then a year later something else went out. I bought another brand, and after verifying that it worked, bought an identical one to keep as a spare, so I'm not left unable to work for a while if the one goes out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:06 pm 

(Thanks for the pointer to the retro brew computers forum and wiki - looks like a lot of interesting projects and activity over there.)