6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 7:24 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:59 pm 

floobydust wrote:
Michael wrote:
Here's a good one... Please check out the decoder logic for Daryl's SBC2.5 project using a 74LS00 and a 74LS30 to map I/O into the $7F page and to provide PHI2 qualified /RD and /WR signals for RAM and EEPROM... It's a work of art!
Yes, a very nice, simple and effective decode for an I/O page. I would hesitate to call it a "work of art" but would consider it a classic and elegant reference for the 6502. I used the same 3 chips (in HCT versions) for a 65C02 SBC setup back in the 80's... and I'm still using it now. I put the I/O page at $FE00 and use the 74HCT138 decode for 8- I/O selects where each is 32 bytes wide. I do consider Daryl's projects as excellent examples of building up 65xx systems however, and a great resource for anyone starting out... and also must call out Garth's site as well.

Hi flooby',

I agree Daryl's and Garth's sites, and others, are a wonderful resource...

I admit that decoding I/O to a single page in 6502 address space to maximize RAM and ROM is very appealing. Recently I've been trying to figure out the best way to decode four selects of 16 bytes each into a 64 byte block within a single page while leaving RAM or ROM active in the remaining 192 bytes of that same page. Basically I'd like to be able to assign I/O to any page, including $00 page or the $FF page. My new 28-pin PIC "decoder" IC provides selects for a single page but I think I'm going to need a couple additional ICs to to decode sub-page selects.

Regards, Mike

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:47 pm 

While I wait until pay day ( :mrgreen: ) so that I can purchase a GAL/PAL programmer, I've put the following together. It represents what I have in mind for expansion. If you have some time and patience (or are bored enough :lol: ) please feel free to take a look.

NOTES:

Memory
$0000 to $1FFF .. 8KB .. non-swap RAM
$2000 to $7FFF .. 24KB .. swap RAM
$8000 to $9FFF .. 8KB .. I/O space
$A000 to $FFFF .. 24KB .. ROM

The address decoding is done by IC4 (a 74AC138) which splits the map into 8KB segments. I've used AND gates to merge the '138s Y1,Y2,Y3 together and Y5,Y6,Y7 together.
Swap RAM is a memory area which can be swapped around within the 128KB SRAM IC (U3 - yep, I'll retag this later :P ). This is controlled by bit 7 of Latch 1 (IC5) which is attached to VIA #2 (IC3). This line is linked directly to bit 16 of the 128KB SRAM, making the 65C02 memory area $2000-$7FFF mapped to either $02000-$07FFF (bit7=low) or $12000-$17FFF (bit7=high). This should give 8KB + 24KB+24KB = 56KB of RAM but also allow the I/O space and 24KB ROM. The reason why the first 8KB ($0000-$1FFF) is not included is to avoid swapping out zero page and the stack (will cause issues+crashes). It also would store any user code which requests the swap - otherwise such code would swap itself out(!).
The above arrangement may well (and probably will) be replaced with a GAL to hopefully make things faster & simpler.

IC9A truth table
A = line from IC4 Y0 (non swap RAM select, 0=selected, 1=deselected), B = swap RAM line (0=low RAM area used, 1=high RAM area used)
A B Output
0 0 1 (A16=high, high RAM area selected)
0 1 1 (A16=high, high RAM area selected)
0 1 1 (A16=high, high RAM area selected)
1 1 0 (A16=low, low RAM area selected)
It doesn't matter if swap RAM is initially in the high or low part of the 128KB SRAM - as long as it stays consistent. By default it will be in the high area. if I used an AND instead of NAND here it will be the reverse.

VIA
I've got a concern that the VIA's will be addressed too quickly and that they need some delay included to slow there selection down. Got to look into this.

Keyboard
Initially, I'll have a numeric keypad hooked up to an AVR which does the scanning and interrupts the CPU when a key is pressed. This will eventually be replaced with a PS2 keyboard connection

Latches
Two addressable latches are provided. Only one is used and of that only bit 7 which controls memory swapping. The rest are provided for future peripheral or memory control. Ordinarily I would have just left the one latch on there, but as I can control two with one VIA port - why not put in two? I supposed I could add something else instead of the second one...

All logic is CMOS AC where possible (for speed), although I might swap to HC if I get too much ringing, although hopefully that wont be needed as I'll be wire wrapping this project. The reset & power circuitry is not included (will use a DS1813+ and an LM7805 as usual).

Well, that's about it for now. Things will probably change as I discover things I mucked up no-doubt(!).

[EDIT] corrected a few bits

Attachments:
65C02b1_rev0.png
65C02b1_rev0.png [ 412.39 KiB | Viewed 335 times ]

Last edited by banedon on Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:59 pm 

banedon wrote:
VIA
I've got a concern that the VIA's will be addressed too quickly and that they need some delay included to slow there selection down. Got to look into this.

I can't think of any way it would be possible for it to be too quick.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:25 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
banedon wrote:
VIA

I can't think of any way it would be possible for it to be too quick.

I know that this will not be the fastest decoding ever, but I'm experimenting with ideas at the moment. With regard to the VIAs I though that the address/data buses had to be set before the chips select/enable...?

BTW I plan to run this at 8 or 10MHz if possible.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:36 am 

No-- The chip selects, register selects, and R/W\ need to be valid and stable before phase 2 rises. As long as they're in place the minimum amount of time before the rise of phase 2, it doesn't matter what order they go in.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:15 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
No-- The chip selects, register selects, and R/W\ need to be valid and stable before phase 2 rises. As long as they're in place the minimum amount of time before the rise of phase 2, it doesn't matter what order they go in.

Okey dokey. Many thanks.