6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:18 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:33 pm 

I have been into GEOS OS for my C64's and C128's for 16 years, about 4 years ago I finally decided to try to start learning the
6502 ML, and then try to learn the CBM GEOS programming. GEOS uses its own "unique" routines which are a little hard to understand.

I dont know if anybody here for the CBM64 or CBM128 back in 1998 there was a much needed upgrade of GEOS 2.0 named:
Wheels OS for both the C64 and C128. Wheels was really improved with a lot better drivers and routines, but works better with the
later GEOS V2.0 upgrades (mainly to Geowrite and Geopaint etc). Wheels was written by a mechanic (hence the creative name). But I am
witholding the Authors name, hes rather grumpy:P

Some may have heard of the late: Creative Micro Design's, their last project in both 1996 and 1997 was the:
CMD Super CPU, this is a processor acceleration cartridge that uses the WDC 65C816S 16-bit processor, in the CBM cirucuit this runs at
20 MHZ, kind of comparable to a 386 PC, but for an old Commodore that is not bad.

The Super CPU is really good with GEOS/Wheels beings this is a graphical OS, the SCPU really breathed a new life into using GEOS and Wheels,
as far as displaying graphics faster, typing on the keyboard is faster etc.

There was the original Geo Programmer package that was written in about 1987 or so, but the Assembler had bugs with the Opp codes in
some way, so in about 1999 the Writer of Wheels OS, rewrote a better upgrade to fix all of the GeoProgrammer bugs called:

Concept at least fixed every single bug in GeoProgrammer, then this programmer went one step further because of the CMD Super CPU
and wrote: Concept+ that is compatible with the Super CPU and will support both:
8-bit code and 16-bit code.
Of course this upgrade still uses the same assembler and linker, but has no debugger, (yet).

My Wheels application Im only using 8-bit code
In both GEOS/Wheels programming, you are only allowed a minimum of 20K System Ram to code any application etc.
My project which is at Beta 1.0 has used up all of this system Ram. In GEOS/Wheels there is a way to pack all routines using
these 2 GEOS macros:

LoadW and LoadB (GEOS/Wheels specific routines NOT standard ML routines)

I was hoping there may be a veteran GEOS programmer here that might be able to help me to learn how to pack code, I assume
the LoadW and LoadB macros are used and what I barely understand about this procedure, I guess you have to shorten the routines etc,
something Im really green with using ML and GEOS code.

Wheels also has more upgraded up to date routines than GEOS did, but the author of Wheels never did release the needed routines. :(

So if there are any suggestions or someone that has done any GEOS programming I sure could use some help.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:03 pm 

traymond wrote:
I have been into GEOS OS for my C64's and C128's for 16 years, about 4 years ago I finally decided to try to start learning the
6502 ML, and then try to learn the CBM GEOS programming. GEOS uses its own "unique" routines which are a little hard to understand.

I dont know if anybody here for the CBM64 or CBM128 back in 1998 there was a much needed upgrade of GEOS 2.0 named:
Wheels OS for both the C64 and C128. Wheels was really improved with a lot better drivers and routines, but works better with the
later GEOS V2.0 upgrades (mainly to Geowrite and Geopaint etc). Wheels was written by a mechanic (hence the creative name). But I am
witholding the Authors name, hes rather grumpy:P

Some may have heard of the late: Creative Micro Design's, their last project in both 1996 and 1997 was the:
CMD Super CPU, this is a processor acceleration cartridge that uses the WDC 65C816S 16-bit processor, in the CBM cirucuit this runs at
20 MHZ, kind of comparable to a 386 PC, but for an old Commodore that is not bad.

The Super CPU is really good with GEOS/Wheels beings this is a graphical OS, the SCPU really breathed a new life into using GEOS and Wheels,
as far as displaying graphics faster, typing on the keyboard is faster etc.

There was the original Geo Programmer package that was written in about 1987 or so, but the Assembler had bugs with the Opp codes in
some way, so in about 1999 the Writer of Wheels OS, rewrote a better upgrade to fix all of the GeoProgrammer bugs called:

Concept at least fixed every single bug in GeoProgrammer, then this programmer went one step further because of the CMD Super CPU
and wrote: Concept+ that is compatible with the Super CPU and will support both:
8-bit code and 16-bit code.
Of course this upgrade still uses the same assembler and linker, but has no debugger, (yet).

My Wheels application Im only using 8-bit code
In both GEOS/Wheels programming, you are only allowed a minimum of 20K System Ram to code any application etc.
My project which is at Beta 1.0 has used up all of this system Ram. In GEOS/Wheels there is a way to pack all routines using
these 2 GEOS macros:

LoadW and LoadB (GEOS/Wheels specific routines NOT standard ML routines)

I was hoping there may be a veteran GEOS programmer here that might be able to help me to learn how to pack code, I assume
the LoadW and LoadB macros are used and what I barely understand about this procedure, I guess you have to shorten the routines etc,
something Im really green with using ML and GEOS code.

Wheels also has more upgraded up to date routines than GEOS did, but the author of Wheels never did release the needed routines. :(

So if there are any suggestions or someone that has done any GEOS programming I sure could use some help.

Wheels64 and Wheels 128 is available on: www.pokefinder.org as CBM image files for emulators.
The best emulator is VICE emulator, as of late there is a new Super CPU emulator too.
Wheels will run in this emulator.
If there are any interested individuals I do have Concept and Concept+ and there are other books that get you started with coding
GEOS apps, Desk accessories etc.

This is an older way of coding for this OS but has been popular for a long time.

BTW Concept does not need a CMD Super CPU, but Concept+ does take advantage of the SCPU.

I do believe (I havent tried it yet) but the SCPU Vice emulator should be able to work with Concept+.

I just wish there were more GEOS/Wheels programmers out there, I know of about 4 and 1 of them has written a few good
16-bit apps for Wheels OS.

There is one in Denmark that has been helping me with my Wheels application, but that application is only beta and hasnt been released to the
public yet, but just barely does accomplish the task I was wanting to perform, to that stage I was a happy camper to see this finally work.

Well the one GEOS/Wheels/MP3 programmer in Denmark is Werner Weicht, a very good GEOS/Wheels/MP3 coder.

MP3 BTW is the German update of GEOS2.0, Werner has been bug fixing this update for a long time, but has helped me extensively and
Im greatful for his coding help on my app.

Take care all.

The Wave128 V1.0

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:06 pm 

Have you visited http://www.commodore128.org? I seem to recall that they have a GEOS subsection.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:04 pm 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
Have you visited http://www.commodore128.org? I seem to recall that they have a GEOS subsection.

I think that he may already have a presence over there, but that forum doesn't seem to be responding sufficiently to his needs.

http://www.commodore128.org/index.php?topic=4848.0

http://www.commodore128.org/index.php?a ... sts;u=2640

Mike

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:19 pm 

I certainly wish you success, although the only one I can think of on this forum who might know quite a bit about this is Samuel Falvo, screen name kc5tja, who has been inactive here for a while.

Quote:
I finally decided to try to start learning the 6502 ML, and then try to learn the CBM GEOS programming. GEOS uses its own "unique" routines which are a little hard to understand.

I understand GEOS for the C64 used the undocumented op codes a lot, which in itself might make it pretty hard to understand. It also prevents using the 65c02, which if they had had from the beginning, might have done better than the NMOS '02 with undocumented op codes. The '816 has a lot of extra instructions and addressing modes that could make the code denser, in addition to improving performance of course.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 7:34 pm 

GEOS for the c-64 runs very reasonably on the 65816 with very little modification: New drivers to switch the cpu to 1mhz during disk I/O. I suspect it doesn't use many, if any at all when it comes to undocumented instructions.

It wouldn't make sense to have a separate codebase from the apple2 version, given they both operate on the same official ISA. Considering geos runs well on unenhanced as well as enhanced //e's (and the IIgs), I'd say there's no undocumented instructions in use.

Berkeley however are well known for making undocumented calls into the geos kernel, after advising that nobody do so.