6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 6:26 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:35 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
Simon wrote:
BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
Simon wrote:
I should switch to a 573 with input all on one side and output on the other. Less likely to cock that up!

Also, better to use 74AC logic...

Oh, why is that? I get confused about the differences between all the logic families sometimes. Wikipedia in this case just says AC is better. Faster, less power?

Aside from the much shorter prop time, as Garth noted, 74AC has better fanout. The only thing to watch out for, as Garth also noted, is the fast switching speed may cause some ringing. You're not likely to run into this on a properly laid-out PCB, but might with wire-wrap and most likely will with perf board construction. I built my POC unit with 74AC and it's able to boot at 15 MHz if no I/O is expected (I/O devices can't handler that speed).

Properly laid out PCB might be a bit tricky since this will be the first one I have ever tried doing (apart from hand etched simple things). I will be happy if it works to be honest! My last machine was perf board with lots of wires on the bottom but it was also running very slowly and was only doing one specific task. I did check my local easy to get to electronics place and they don't do AC at all (and barely know what ICs are to be honest!).