6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 1:25 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:08 am 

It's so preliminary, it's not even finished. :) But you can check it out at http://www.falvotech.com/datasheets/fts1002.pdf .

Some things to note: the K_IRQn_I inputs are marked as being level-sensitive. This actually will result in slightly erroneous operation, as the semantics of the ...CTL registers are documented. This is due to their not being an explicit acknowledgement output for each one, combined with the general futility of clearing out the interrupt pending register when, in the next cycle, it'll only get re-set again because the IPR of, say, the VIA or whatever hasn't yet been cleared. This isn't much of an issue as long as you code your software right, but it's confusing enough for me to warrent discarding the whole interrupt controller functionality all-together.

What are your thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:45 am 

I finally had a chance to glance over your datasheet (been wanting to since you posted about it) - I do have a question that I didn't notice (granted, I haven't read it in detail yet and have just skimmed it) - what size IC are you talking about here (pin count) and what type of final package? It looks quite interesting so far, and I'm looking forward to getting a chance to really read about it this weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:37 am 

Tancor wrote:
I finally had a chance to glance over your datasheet (been wanting to since you posted about it) - I do have a question that I didn't notice (granted, I haven't read it in detail yet and have just skimmed it) - what size IC are you talking about here (pin count) and what type of final package? It looks quite interesting so far, and I'm looking forward to getting a chance to really read about it this weekend.

It's called a preliminary datasheet for a reason. :-)

These things have not yet been determined. It's going to be at least an 84-pin PLCC though. I'm aiming for the 84-pin package. I might not be able to fit it into such a small package though. We'll see.

Also, I'm really thinking of getting rid of its integrated interrupt controller logic. It really doesn't make any sense unless you have edge-triggered interrupts, which most devices for the 6502/65816 don't use anyway. That'll free up some logic and pins, for sure.

That being said, I didn't want to persue production of this chip design without knowing what kind of interest there would be in the design. Hence, I posted the preliminary specifications on my website, for commenting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:01 am 

Since Samuel mentions the 84-pin package, before everyone turns away in disinterest because it's not a DIP, I should mention that Berg Electronics, McKenzie Socket Division, makes wire-wrap PLCC sockets. They're not cheap, but to me it's well worth the $12 (approximate cost) considering the scores of hours of construction and programming that might go into a project that would use it. Aries and others also make other kinds of adapters to plug surface-mount ICs into DIP sockets for your wire-wrapped boards. IOW, don't just discount something that won't plug directly into a DIP socket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:42 am 

KC5TJA: No, I understand that it's preliminary, I was just wondering what package you might be looking at, I was originally figuring on a 100+ pin package due to what I skimmed over, but if able to fit in an 84 pin package, that'd be even better.

Garth: I'm actually enjoying using PLCC's in my current design, but the proto-sockets I have are meant for breadboards so I'm having to solder wires between it and a set of loose WW pins - I would be most interested in those sockets you mentioned. I noticed that Berg is a division of FCI - I was checking out FCI's product list and I didn't notice any WW sockets in their inventory - do you happen to know if digikey carries what you are talking about? unfortunately I won't be able to search until tonight, but if I know who does/doesn't carry these things, it would make it a lot easer ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:02 am 

I E-mailed Berg/McKenzie an they got back to me a couple of days ago and said they don't make them anymore. So I did a Yahoo search for "wire-wrap AND PLCC-socket" and got the following:
www.cgntech.com/sockets.htm (20 to 68 pins, and bigger than Berg's. around $10 each.
http://www.e-tec.ch/v2/IC_Products/PLCC ... ection.htm .89" square for 44-pin, 1.39" square for 84-pin
http://www.fischerelektronik.de/_2002/P ... F/E_22.pdf ( http://www.fischerelektronik.de/fischer/index_e.html is the front page)
JDR has adapters that put a PLCC socket on a large DIP-type package http://www.jdr.com/interact/item.asp?itemno=gr-pl-20
http://smt-adapter.com/perl/site.pl/sel ... tm?zero=2#

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:46 am 

That JDR one appears to be the same as what I already have, which is the bread board version, although it would appear that their 44 pin ones are cheaper then what I paid, but then again they seem to have the "call for availability" instead of in stock... - but all the others looked quite interesting.

I think my favorites were the sockets from CGNTech - I like the pins around the outter edge, much easier to work with test equipment on during prototyping.

I actually didn't expect you to go thru all that trouble lol - I only wondered if you knew of a place that carried those sockets, if not off hand, I woulda been happy to do the rest - but it was more info then I could have even wished for - thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:09 pm 

Tancor wrote:
I actually didn't expect you to go thru all that trouble lol - I only wondered if you knew of a place that carried those sockets, if not off hand, I woulda been happy to do the rest - but it was more info then I could have even wished for - thanks again!

That's OK -- due to lack of interest here and changing (mostly economic) demands on my side, the FTS10xx series of parts have been repurposed. For example, the FTS1001 is now a stack-architecture microprocessor that I'm working on (details available via private e-mail request; it is off-topic to the 65816 forum), which replaces the 65816 in my original Kestrel design. I have no further plans to develop an FTS1002 as documented by that datasheet.

Sorry. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:26 pm 

I'd be interested in what kind of a replacement for the 65816 you're talking about, feel free to email me on that, I'm really curious. If you don't have my email address, pm me and I'll send it.

I thought your FTS1002 was interesting, but for replacement parts - aside from my curiosity of your 65816 deal, my biggest interest is the 6551 ACIA, I want one that is faster speed then the ones I can get my hands on and something that would support higher speed datarates, it'd even be nice if it had some built in stack buffer, just more capable then the 6551.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:32 am 

Tancor wrote:
...I thought your FTS1002 was interesting, but for replacement parts - aside from my curiosity of your 65816 deal, my biggest interest is the 6551 ACIA, I want one that is faster speed then the ones I can get my hands on and something that would support higher speed datarates, it'd even be nice if it had some built in stack buffer, just more capable then the 6551.

WDC has announced that it will start making a 65C51 later this year. I don't have any specs but I would bet it will have a faster clock speed to match their 14MHz CPU's.

Daryl