6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 6:26 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:27 pm 

Quote:
Transistor (as switch) can be "on" or "off". Gate (as door) can be "open" or "closed".

In this context, the usage of words meaning "open" and "closed" varies between languages -- with contradictory interpretations! For example, a switch that is "closed" to a French speaking person will be described as "open" by an English speaker. Most of our multi-lingual members will be aware of the issue. In case of any doubt, here's a diagram for clarification and as a mnemonic.

-- Jeff

Attachments:
terminology.gif
terminology.gif [ 4.17 KiB | Viewed 845 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:01 pm 

Avoid the doors!

(I still sometimes have a little difficulty because of the way poly crosses over active. The eye is drawn to follow the poly. But the conductive channel underneath the gate crosses from one area of active to the other. So, the transistor's "length" is the width of the poly, and the transistor's "width" is the direction along the length of the poly. I just have to think about it. The width and length are sufficient to figure out the strength of the transistor, but for purely digital purposes the strength is irrelevant. It affects timing and it affects some circuits which are not strictly digital.)

Cheers
Ed

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:02 pm 

(I had no idea about that French usage, Jeff!)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:12 am 

I think I'm sticking to the door analogy for now. Posted this on the talk page:

Quote:
So for something like "the diffusion area from which current will flow when the gate is <?> is called the source", <?> could be
  • "open" - Door analogy.
  • "closed" - Switch analogy. Kinda confusing (at least for me) given that "gate" is a door analogy.
  • "on" - Easier to confuse as part of the sentence - "on top of what?". Could use italics, but that's kinda ugly to have to do in lots of places.
  • "conducting" - Pretty long and specific word to use all over the place. "Open" feels better there.
  • "made" (?) - Sounds a bit weird. :P
  • "high" - Works decently, but you still need another form for stuff like "when the gate is opened".
I might be giving this too much thought, but I still kinda like "open". Could just mention the terminology caveat I guess. Can't find a clear winner on the Googles. -Ulfalizer (talk) 23:22, 31 May 2013 (MDT)

I also added the following disclaimer to the article:

Quote:
(This article will use "open gate" to mean that the gate is conducting, using a door analogy. You sometimes see this switched around so that the gate being "closed" means that it is conducting, using a switch analogy. More specific terms could be used to avoid this ambiguity, but here we pick a short word that is easy to turn into a verb.)

I hope that's satisfactory. :)

BigEd wrote:
(I still sometimes have a little difficulty because of the way poly crosses over active. The eye is drawn to follow the poly. But the conductive channel underneath the gate crosses from one area of active to the other. So, the transistor's "length" is the width of the poly, and the transistor's "width" is the direction along the length of the poly. I just have to think about it. The width and length are sufficient to figure out the strength of the transistor, but for purely digital purposes the strength is irrelevant. It affects timing and it affects some circuits which are not strictly digital.)

If the "door" is aligned to let things through the gate, won't these correspond to the width and length (depth) of the door though?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:59 am 

Hmm. If you were making up your own terminology and analogy to explain something, then anything which helps comprehension is fair game. But in a technical field with pre-existing terminology you're addressing a near-term puzzle at the expense of the longer term: your local conventions cause confusion when talking to someone with experience.

Because "gate" is already an overloaded term - boolean logic gate versus gate terminal on a FET - I advise against using it also to mean a transistor. It's transistors that we have here. We can call them FETs if that helps, but it probably doesn't.

"The channel forms and the transistor conducts when the gate is high." That's unambiguous and terminologically correct. "The switch is closed to make the circuit, it's open to break the circuit." That's good too.

Speaking of a transistor as "on" seems forgiveable to me (I'm sure I've said that many times) and it matches everyday experience when we speak of a lightswitch being either on or off.

I really do advise avoiding the door analogy: it's unique, and is leading you away from common practice.

Cheers
Ed

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:06 pm 

Ok, I'll see what I can come up with.

Just added a section on adders btw. :)

By the way, if you think there's some terminology I ought to cover in any of the sections and might be unaware of, then please tell me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:21 am 

What's a good verb form if using on/off terminology, for e.g. "...a new value can be copied into the latch by opening the w400e gate"? Does "enabled" work, or will it need some rephrasing?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:08 am 

Is w400e a gate, or is it in fact signal, which drives the gate of an (unnamed) transistor? The single-transistor dynamic latch is an absolute staple of design in NMOS, so it would be best to describe a latch (which has an "enable" input) and then to say that this is an example of a latch. I think I'd say "a new value is loaded into the latch when the enable signal is high", or something like that.)

When describing the latch, one might say that the input signal is gated by the pass transistor. A new value is loaded when the pass transistor is on. Again, pass transistors are a staple of NMOS design, and as they can be bidirectional it might be wise to describe them separately. It may be that outside the CPU core there are no examples of bidirectional pass gates on this chip. [Hmm, I said gates to mean transistors]

In any event, IMNSHO "opening" a gate is forbidden terminology!

Cheers
Ed

p.s. FWIW, Wikipedia contains the phrase "the enhancement-mode device is equivalent to a normally open (off) switch" which perhaps shows the need for disambiguation.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:04 pm 

I've now rewritten the article to avoid the door analogy. The relevant diff is at http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php?titl ... oldid=6623 . w400e is indeed a signal, and I made things a bit clearer by not equating it with the gate.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:17 pm 

And you guys think I'm pedantic! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:05 am 

I've now added shift registers and rephrased the PLA section in terms of decoders and mask ROMs after feedback from lidnariq and Quietust (who made the Visual 2A03 and 2C02 sims).

The user's guide would probably be a good place to link the article (as anyone who wants to do more than look at the colors is bound to go there), and maybe from some other place on the wiki where it's easy to find too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:51 pm 

That sounds like very useful feedback! I wasn't aware of the visual 2c02.

I've added a sentence to introduce your link, on the visual 6502 user guide which as you note is a landing page. And again on the front page.

Cheers
Ed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:04 pm 

Great, thanks!