6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 2:21 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:31 pm 

Hello,
What is Peersoft? Peersoft is an attempt to extend Autostart ROM Applesoft BASIC by trying to introduce some integer arithmetic within a FP calculus only software package.
What is currently provided by the software :
a) DEFINT, DEFSTR and DEFSNG new instructions (considered more as a commodity than as an essential feature);
b) New syntax schemes as <variable>+= <expression>, <variable>-= <expression>, <variable>*= <expression> and <variable>/= <expression> in addition to <variable> = <expression> for setting variables' values; variables can be either integer, real (FP) or string (only += is allowed in this case); integer arithmetic enforced if variable is of type integer; also the new schemes allowed for less variable name based lookups which can prove costly in term of performance penalties for lengthy programs with many variables.
c) New instructions and syntax schemes are listed exactly as original instructions with the LIST Applesoft instruction;
d) Peersoft does'nt use a copy of Applesoft from ROM to RAM: it can run on a 48K Apple II (w/o language card) in addition to a //e, //c, //gs ...
e) Peersoft is currently only compatible with DOS 3.3. Please contact me in case you would like to put your hand on a ProDOS version.
f) From Peersoft source code, you can build one executable version for 65C02, and another (a bit less optimized) for plain vanilla 6502. Please contact me in case a 65802/65816 version is suitable for you..
A word of advice:
Peersoft is a work in progress and currently does not support the /= scheme with integer variables (currently behaves like a No Operation, syntax error does not raise upon occurrence and it is correctly listed); also please do not try to INIT a DOS disk with Peersoft installed.
I've attached to this message a .do (DOS 3.3 order version) of a disk image containing source code; a disk image (.dsk) containing the two executable binaries (just BRUN either one after a DOS 3.3 boot); a PDF file giving the listing of assembly and a RTF file (in french language.. please contact me if english version desired) giving some directions about what the software will look like as I'll spend more time resources on it.
BTW the source disk image also contain the DOS 3.3 Merlin 8 assembler published by RWP and and written by Glen Bredon which I understand is now free and open source (see http://www.apple2.org.za/gswv/USA2WUG/Glen.Bredon.In.Memoriam/ for details).

Attachments:
File comment: Archive for the Peersoft v1.0 software
Peersoftv10.zip [146.83 KiB]
Downloaded 101 times
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:46 pm 

This message just to advise interested parties that Peersoft is now 1.4 and that, as part of new features implemented, an Applesoft concurrent subroutines mechanism has been included.
Root URL is http://bgilon.free.fr/apple2 and the archive name is Peersoftv1.4.zip.

Have fun with your Apple // real or virtual computer,
BenoƮt