6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 11:17 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:38 pm 

BigEd wrote:
... if the PIC controls the clock (maybe by toggling an output pin) then surely it's fast enough to control everything it needs to - it just needs to sort everything out between each clock toggle.

That's one of the things I'm curious about. If I drive the PIC with a 64-MHz clock then I have sixteen PIC instruction cycles to produce a 1-MHz clock signal with seven or eight instruction cycles to read and qualify the address. Can the PIC produce an uninterrupted 1-MHz clock and simply slow down the clock when necessary to handle one or two simple memory mapped I/O functions assigned to the PIC?

I think Garth is correct that the PIC simply is not fast enough to replace hardware I/O decode logic.

Chuck wrote:
... It sounds like this project I posted about. They use the PIC as ROM.

Those are some of the articles I read, too, Chuck.

Cheerful regards, Mike

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:32 pm 

Michael wrote:
BigEd wrote:
... if the PIC controls the clock (maybe by toggling an output pin) then surely it's fast enough to control everything it needs to - it just needs to sort everything out between each clock toggle.

That's one of the things I'm curious about. If I drive the PIC with a 64-MHz clock then I have sixteen PIC instruction cycles to produce a 1-MHz clock signal with seven or eight instruction cycles to read and qualify the address. Can the PIC produce an uninterrupted 1-MHz clock and simply slow down the clock when necessary to handle one or two simple memory mapped I/O functions assigned to the PIC?

I think Garth is correct that the PIC simply is not fast enough to replace hardware I/O decode logic.

Chuck wrote:
... It sounds like this project I posted about. They use the PIC as ROM.

Those are some of the articles I read, too, Chuck.

Cheerful regards, Mike

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:38 pm 

The fastest ADC on a PIC is 1 MHZ:
http://www.microchip.com/forums/m565767.aspx

PIC32 drives SID audio chip
http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/vi ... =56&t=2197
http://dangerousprototypes.com/2011/04/ ... udio-chip/

My friend Brad over at bradsprojects.com/forum would help answer your questions because Microchip Pics are his thing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:42 pm 

Hi Mike
if you want to hit exactly 1MHz or make every clock cycle the same time, it will be more difficult. But if most of the time you're just checking that the address bus is not one of a few values, you're probably OK: clock low, wait, clock high, wait, check high byte of address bus, goto top of loop. Only if the top byte matches your special-case range do you need to do further checking.

Cheers
Ed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:09 pm 

If the point is just to see it work and not necessarily to get any speed out of it, then sure it will work.  I've thought about making (emulating) a 65Org32 with a PIC just so I could experiment with the instruction set and new assembler and try writing a multitasker and a Forth kernel for it, but I don't expect more than a small fraction of a MHz equivalent speed.

In your case, you're not emulating the 6502 itself, but there are still a lot of operations that must take place in every half cycle of the 6502.  There will be a tradeoff of course, with the fastest operation being if all you do is toggle the clock and do basic memory decoding (watching only the high address byte).  Additional jobs like having the PIC be the ROM and looking up bytes, or doing I/O operations (which also require looking at the low address byte and the R/W bit, or generating interrupts based on timers and I/O, will come at the expense of a lot of PIC instruction cycles.  And so far, we're not talking about keeping a constant phase-2 clock rate, as that would eat up a lot more cycles.

It sounds like a fun experiment though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:49 pm 

Garth (and gang),

I agree with your assessment. Some things however, like generating a 1-MHz clock output, can be handled quite easily in the background by the PIC PWM module.

I just read about another chap who used a propeller chip for video and keyboard but the 'overhead' reduces the actual clock speed of the 65C02 to around 100 kHz (yuch!).

I'm still looking forward to experimenting, though.

Regards, Mike

Last edited by Michael on Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:10 am 

ChuckT wrote:
My friend Brad over at bradsprojects.com/forum would help answer your questions because Microchip Pics are his thing.

I just ran across Brad's site in December. I redesigned his old 8x8 LED "Great Race" game to run on a single PIC 16F1828 which I posted here, with his kind permission, of course.

Regards, Mike