6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 2:22 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:06 pm 

Though this topic probably has been beaten to death, I thought I would point out that this Algorythm is called bucket sort, not JeffSort. It has a run time of O(m+n) where m is the number of buckets and n is the number of input items.

Rex.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:05 am 

No, it's not a bucket sort. Bucket sorts are useful.

With a bucket sort, you first do a coarse sort of elements based on part of the key (or all, if the key is short enough and you have enough buckets). Then, if necessary, you sort each bucket.

Jeffsort is related, but simplified to the point of near uselesness (as Thowllly points out). For it to work, the number of buckets must be at least equal to the number of keys, and there must be nothing else to the elements than the key. I've never come across a practical situation that satisfies those requirements.

However, it is the first part of the counting sort [url]http://www.nist.gov/dads/HTML/countingsort.html[/url], which is useful if you have relatively few keys (and sometimes you do).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:51 pm 

John West wrote:
No, it's not a bucket sort. Bucket sorts are useful.

With a bucket sort, you first do a coarse sort of elements based on part of the key (or all, if the key is short enough and you have enough buckets). Then, if necessary, you sort each bucket.

Jeffsort is related, but simplified to the point of near uselesness (as Thowllly points out). For it to work, the number of buckets must be at least equal to the number of keys, and there must be nothing else to the elements than the key. I've never come across a practical situation that satisfies those requirements.

However, it is the first part of the counting sort http://www.nist.gov/dads/HTML/countingsort.html, which is useful if you have relatively few keys (and sometimes you do).

Oh, the thread is still going! :) After I made the claim that it was pretty much useless, I realised I was totally wrong, and with just a little more work could actually be used to sort objects. I thought I was quite clever, but what I came up with was identical to the stuff in your link. I guess it's no surprise that I'm not the first one to think of something so simple and obvious. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:54 pm 

I've now corrected my code for ShellSort and sent it to Mike, so it should reappear on the site shortly.

The code now also provides an InsertionSort since it only takes a few extra bytes of code to do so. InsertionSort is faster than ShellSort if only a few values are out of place or if no values are far from where they should be. For large quantities of unsorted data, InsertionSort is useless, but sometimes you know the data is almost in order and then it comes in handy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:42 pm 

Mike seems busy at the moment. Here's the ShellSort code available until it pops up on 6502.org:

http://microheaven.com/6502/16bitShellSort.html

/Fredrik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:01 pm 
Site Admin

FredrikR wrote:
Mike seems busy at the moment. Here's the ShellSort code available until it pops up on 6502.org:

http://microheaven.com/6502/16bitShellSort.html

/Fredrik

Hi,

The new routine has been added to the Source Code Repository:
http://www.6502.org/source/sorting/shell.html

Thanks,
Mike

Post subject: Re: JeffSort on the 6502
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:52 pm 

Hi, very late to the party here, but thought I would mention my post http://www.retrosoftware.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Linear_time_bucket_sort which I did use in the 80s for sorting sprites to race the scan line. It cheats even more that the other posts here as it uses ZP for the "buckets" but is very fast ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:38 am 

Wow, this is a blast from the past. I knew Mr. Sketch back when he came up with this algo, and suggested that he call this a "Histogram Sort" which I still think is a good name. Of course, he went with the eponymous "JeffSort". ;) He fully acknowledged the wackiness of the algorithm.

Here's an archived link of the page from the OP, and shows the somewhat sketchy derivation of the O(1) claim: http://www.reocities.com/Athens/Academy/7874/sketch/algo.html#JeffSort

edit:

Richard, how do you use it for sprite sorting? All that the output would appear to contain would be "There is a sprite on line 15. There is a sprite on line 30." etc, and not which software sprite was actually intended to be on that line.

That's the problem with histogram sort, you lose the value linkage to each of the keys that you sort. You can only sort the presence of keys.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:15 pm 

White Flame wrote:
Richard, how do you use it for sprite sorting? All that the output would appear to contain would be "There is a sprite on line 15. There is a sprite on line 30." etc, and not which software sprite was actually intended to be on that line.

I believe it outputs a list of indices, rather than a list of sorted data. Therefore you then access the original data, in the order supplied by the output from the routine. Quite a nice solution, and I'm guessing far more efficient than a simple insertion sort for a set of data greater than about 8 items.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:46 am 

Thanks RichTW, that is exactly what it does.
Since it only uses the high byte, or high byte >> N, the effective range is usually 12..32. The range can be further reduced to save space and setup cost while still getting good enough sorting for racing the raster beam.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:45 am 

Since RetroSoftware is down and has been for a while, here is a copy of my original article:
Quote:
Linear time bucket sort

I have been going through some of the old stuff on my BBC disks and found this - I used it for some demos to sort sprites to allow them to be rendered top-down to chase/run ahead of the raster.
It is a linear time bucket sort 53 bytes (60 if buckets is not in ZP) that takes <2k cycles for 32 sprites indexed by character line and <6k cycles for 128 sprites. I am happy to discuss it on the forums.
I have tidied the code and added a few lines of basic to help see how it works. This is the generic version, I tailored it for each demo by changing the way each bucket index is calculated eg ignoring hidden sprites when iterating the two src lists.
The algorithm is very simple and probably has a great explanation on the web now!
The fast version here only supports up to 255 numbers in up to 255 buckets - I think - anyway 32 buckets fits nicely even for BASIC use and sorting over 100 items doesn't happen very often in real time.
I would be happy to hear comments / improvements etc on the forums. [1]
Richard (tricky) Broadhurst.
Code:
  10 src_count = &F8 : REM contains num to sort - 1
  20 bkt_count = &F9 : REM contains num buckets - 1
  30 buckets   = &70 : REM address in zp of buckets
  40 REM B=buckets, N=numbers (20.5B + 41N + ~22) (B=32 N=128 ~ 5926)
  50 REM (32/32) RESET 250 + SIZE 482 + OFFSET 422 + WRITE 772 + RTS 6 = 1990
  60 DIM linear_sort 200, src 255, dst 255
  70 FOR pass = 0 TO 3 STEP 2
  80 P% = linear_sort
  90 [OPT pass
 100 .sort                    \\ call with X = number of buckets and Y = number of numbers to sort
 110   LDX bkt_count          \\ change to STX bkt_count if X is passed in (count = 1 based)
 120   TXA
 130   LSR A
 140   LDA #0                 \\ zero the count of each valid number's bucket
 150   BCS odd                \\ unroll loop in pairs, odd total, jump to second half - break even B=4 faster B=6+
 160 .reset_buckets
 170   STA buckets-1,X
 180   DEX
 190 .odd
 200   STA buckets-1,X
 210   DEX
 220   BNE reset_buckets
 230                          \\ A=0 X=0 Y=? Z=1 N=0 C=?
 240   LDY src_count          \\ remove this line if passed in in Y
 250 .size_buckets
 260   LDX src-1,Y            \\ get value to be sorting by [0..bkt_count)
 270   INC buckets,X          \\ increment how many of this buckets number we have
 280   DEY
 290   BNE size_buckets
 300                          \\ A=0 X=? Y=0 Z=1 N=0 C=?
 310   CLC
 320   LDX bkt_count          \\ making X 1 based
 330 .accumulate_buckets      \\ offset bucket base by total of previous entries
 340   ADC buckets-1,X
 350   STA buckets-1,X
 360   DEX
 370   BNE accumulate_buckets
 380                          \\ A=src_count X=0 Y=0 C=0 Z=1 N=0
 390   SEC
 400 .write_results           \\ this is where you would make changes to save another pass over the generated indices
 410   TAY                    \\ A = Y = original index of value (1 based)
 420   LDX src-1,Y            \\ X = original value to sort on
 430   DEC buckets,X          \\ bucket value needs pre decrementing to give a zero based index
 440   LDY buckets,X          \\ Y = final index of original value
 450   SBC #1
 460   STA dst,Y              \\ store original index in dst[final index]
 470   BNE write_results
 480                          \\ A=0 X=? Y=? Z=1 N=0 C=1
 490   RTS
 500 ]
 510 PRINT "sort &";~sort;" [";P%-linear_sort;"] src &";~src;" dst &";~dst
 520 NEXT pass
 530 :
 540 ?bkt_count = 32
 550 FOR m = 1 TO 200
 560 ?src_count = m
 570 FOR n = 0 TO m-1 : src?n = RND AND 31 : NEXT
 580 PRINT
 590 PRINT "src: "; : FOR n = 0 TO m-1 : PRINT ;src?n;" "; : NEXT : PRINT
 600 CALL sort
 610 PRINT "bkt: "; : FOR B = 0 TO 31 : PRINT ;buckets?B;" "; : NEXT : PRINT
 620 PRINT "dst: "; : FOR n = 0 TO m-1 : PRINT ;dst?n;" "; : NEXT : PRINT
 630 PRINT "ord: "; : FOR n = 0 TO m-1 : PRINT ;?(src+dst?n);" "; : NEXT : PRINT
 640 NEXT
 650 REM with buckets in ZeroPage sort is 53 bytes, otherwise 60 bytes, but no code changes are required
 660 REM could use N based indices by offsetting lookups (try not to cross page boundaries)
 670 REM could also easily unroll the size_buckets loop in pairs (would need to set A=0 before .accumulate_buckets)
 680 REM if you just wanted a sorted list of numbers, you can replace accumulate_buckets and write_results with a loop over the buckets printing each index the number of times in each bucket

In the context of a BBC Micro, that is less than 16 scan lines to sort and get indices for 32 sprites or 48 scan lines to sort and get indices for 128 sprites sorted by character row.

src is the original index of the sprite.
bkt is how many entries landed in each bucket.
dst is the sorted index of the sprite.
ord is the sorted value or in this case, the sprite's character row.