6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 5:25 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:35 pm 

I wondered if anyone knows anything about the CPU in MOS' videogame chips? They made the MPS-7600 (NTSC) and 7601 (PAL), in several variants depending on the game type (pong, pinball)

I posted here about it, with many links to various pages each with only a line or two of relevant info (a few describing the chip as MOSTek's.) From here we get:
Quote:
Telstar Arcade is therefore of the earliest system to use cartridges containing a dedicated game chip. Each cartridge contains a chip made by MOS Technology: the MPS-7600. The four versions of this chip contain customised circuits because of the types of games, but they all use the same technology: a basic frame processor that controls the circuits, driven by a small program in ROM (the 8 PONG games chip has a 512-word program). Therefore, the MPS-7600 chips are not like the other PONG chips: they are customized microcontrollers.

From here we get:
Quote:
The graphic display of this system is very good for the era and is in color.

It seems the MPS (plastic) part number was preceded by the MCS part (presumably ceramic and presumably much the same design). The chips were used by many companies making cheap pong-style TV games.

It would be easy to guess that it's a 6502 core, but I've seen nothing to say so. The ROM is on-chip and seems not to have been recovered by anyone.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:34 am 

I bet, they used the same CPU as in their MPS75xx series of calculator ICs, probably a 4 bit CPU like the 4004. Unfortunately, there is no information on the CPU used in the MPS75xx either.

http://www.rskey.org/~mwsebastian/calcw ... s_tech.htm

Quote:
1969 -- Busicom (Japan) asks Intel (USA) and Mostek (USA) to develop ICs for an electronic calculator. Intel completes the task with a single microprocessor chip, the 4004, which is used by Busicom for a desktop electronic calculator. Intel eventually buys back the rights to the 4004 for use in other devices. ... Mostek develops a complete "calculator-on-a-chip" which is used in Busicom's first handheld model, the Handy LE-120. Sold in 1971, it is the world's smallest handheld calculator for at least a year.
from: http://www.mindspring.com/~mary.hall/mo ... istory.htm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:50 am 

Good thought! (Your first link confirms these are MOS devices, but the second seems to be about Mostek - a mistake I've made myself before now)

Here's an appropriate calculator from mycalcdb.free.fr (click through for this huge image) - contains an MPS7541-007

And here's an older one using a two-chip set with 1974 datecodes (the MCS2525 and MCS2526.)

Cheers
Ed

Last edited by BigEd on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:00 pm 

Oops! Mostek != MOS technology :oops: