6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Wed Sep 25, 2024 12:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Idea for a 65xx IDE
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:24 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
I have, countless times, printed out confusing routines on fanfold paper to spread on out the floor and draw the arrows just as you're saying, from the various branch instructions to the labels they branch to. My ideas of structure improved dramatically in Forth, but it was only recently that I realized there's a way to do this and be able to nest structures in assembly with common assemblers. It becomes much more clear what you're doing, reduces bugs, makes the code more maintainable, gets rid of most of the local labels, and in most cases there's absolutely no penalty in program length or execution speed.

I hesitate to criticize but... :)

I would argue that the before and after code are equally well structured
and that structuring is much more than meaningful labels and indenting.

True, the structure is more obvious but (for example) how much of that is indenting?

I think it's misleading to suggest that one is spaghetti code and one is not.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:40 pm 

Explicit structure, using higher level macros such as FOR and WHILE, must be an advantage?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:44 pm 

BigEd wrote:
Explicit structure, using higher level macros such as FOR and WHILE, must be an advantage?

I'm not disputing that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:01 pm 

Quote:

Agreed. With an IF...ELSE...END_IF for example (or most of the others), the resulting machine code will be the same, because you already had the structure before using the structure macros-- they just make it much more clear. I had been using indenting most of my 6502 years (decades), and white space to visually group the various actions. The structure macros didn't change that either, but they do eliminate the need for a lot of the labels, and they use clearer structure-control words. It's very difficult to come up with meaningful, unique branch label names that are short enough to fit in the left margin and not interfere visually with the program body.

And of course the program structure macro set doesn't need to be limiting. If you need a structure that's not there, you can write it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:27 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
Quote:

Agreed. With an IF...ELSE...END_IF for example (or most of the others), the resulting machine code will be the same, because you already had the structure before using the structure macros-- they just make it much more clear. I had been using indenting most of my 6502 years (decades), and white space to visually group the various actions. The structure macros didn't change that either, but they do eliminate the need for a lot of the labels, and they use clearer structure-control words. It's very difficult to come up with meaningful, unique branch label names that are short enough to fit in the left margin and not interfere visually with the program body.

And of course the program structure macro set doesn't need to be limiting. If you need a structure that's not there, you can write it.

I suppose if you hadn't mentioned spaghetti code
I'd call it a semantic quibble, the source does have
a better structure.

I'd still argue that's misleading.

You refer to the "original version" as unstructured
then give a "structured version" even though the
stucture of the underlying code is exactly the same.
you're implying that making the structure more explicit
is the same as structuring the code better.

If you took actual spaghetti code and prettyed it up
in a similar fashion it wouldn't improve the structure.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:02 pm 

Quote:
you're implying that making the structure more explicit
is the same as structuring the code better.

If you took actual spaghetti code and prettyed it up
in a similar fashion it wouldn't improve the structure.

You have a point, and it may lead me to give the article some needed improvement. Besides making the structure more obvious however, part of the goal is to make the programmer think in terms of structures early in the process and develop better programming habits. In that situation, the machine code produced probably won't be the same. I emphasized the "sameness" (is that a word?) to mean that the macros don't make you give up the performance you use assembly language for, or any tightness of code.

It was not the point of the article to do a lengthy treatise on structured programming philosophies, but perhaps more should be said about it, or at least I should find a good article that's already on the web to link to. (Can you recommend some good ones?) In the article on large 16-bit look-up tables for superfast, accurate trig, log, and other functions, I did explain what makes scaled-integer math quite well suited for most technical applications, since I myself had to be convinced early on.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:12 pm 

Clearly there is a huge element of taste here.

My personal preference is to have clean uniform columns (and I like the uniform 3-letter mnemonics for 6502). It makes for compact reading and lets me quickly hunt down what I am looking for without having to use search. Sometimes paper printout is the best way of analysing the program.

Having then a set of coloured lines in the left margin would then be a quick guide yet unobtrusive to the eye.

Much of the work I did was on old embedded system where new hardware was completely out of the question and the customer, who is always right, wanted more functionality and faster performance. Structure was the first to suffer and all ugly tricks were used to shoehorn in new code. I can still remember some truly horrific code that was a scary as it was fast. Indentations would simply implode for such code.

It is from this background that I proposed a tool in the IDE that visualises zeropage pressure.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:23 pm 

Quote:
and I like the uniform 3-letter mnemonics for 6502

I like the 3-letter ones too, as opposed to other processors' varying-length mnemonics. I give macros names that are not three characters long, making them an instant give-away that they're macros.

Quote:
It is from this background that I proposed a tool in the IDE that visualises zeropage pressure.

That would be a good tool, but if we can ever get our 65Org32, the whole 4 gigaword address space will be in zero page (or whould I say direct page). :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:38 pm 
Site Admin

GARTHWILSON wrote:
I like the 3-letter ones too, as opposed to other processors' varying-length mnemonics.

Some of the 65C02 mnemonics are four characters where the fourth is a bit number: SMB0, RMB1, BBS2.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:02 pm 

Quote:
Some of the 65C02 mnemonics are four characters where the fourth is a bit number: SMB0, RMB1, BBS2.

I almost mentioned those, but I've never actually had occasion to use those instructions. They are attractive, but I would mostly want to use them in I/O, but I've never had the I/O in ZP. The 816's ZP (direct page) can be moved anywhere in the first 64K of memory space, but it doesn't have RMB, SMB, BBS, or BBR. It does have BIT and TSB and TRB like the 65c02 does which although not quite as slick, have more addressing modes.

For RMB, SMB, BBR, and BBS, I think I would prefer that the assembler take the bit number from the operand list (which you could do with a macro). Then if you decide you have to swap a couple of bits in the hardware before going to production for example, only the constants used in the operand list change, and only where they are defined. You would not have to go through and search for and change the mnemonics.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:45 pm 

Quote:
For RMB, SMB, BBR, and BBS, I think I would prefer that the assembler take the bit number from the operand list (which you could do with a macro). Then if you decide you have to swap a couple of bits in the hardware before going to production for example, only the constants used in the operand list change, and only where they are defined. You would not have to go through and search for and change the mnemonics.

A reasonable position, but I've just been wrestling with this in connection with developing an alternate set of "instruction" macros for the 65Org16b (EE's effort is formidable - 750K worth of macros so far! I'm aiming for something a little more compact :) )

The issue for me came up with that barrel shifter. Is it better to have an instruction like:

Code:
ASL B,#4

or one like:

Code:
ASL4 B

A problem with the first form is that because the value "#4" really isn't a separate byte in the assembled code but part of the opcode itself, its value has to be known before the opcode can be stored. But users would expect "#4" to act like all other immediate mode instructions, eg., allow forward reference (it might not be common, but it should be possible).

There's also the issue of what to do if "#x" turns out to be outside the range 0-15. Silently truncate? Declare an error?

The second form eliminates both those problems. The mnemonic itself declares what the opcode bits should be, and it becomes impossible to use an out-of-range value (at least not without causing an easily-diagnosed complaint from the assembler).

I decided to go with the second form after thinking about it for a few days. It occurs to me now that it would be possible (at least with some assemblers *ahem*) to write yet another macro that looked like the first form and expanded to the second, for those that wanted to do so.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:59 pm 

These links may help some not previously familiar with my monkeyworks:
65Org16.b Core Intro & Credit's
65Org16.b Core v2 Spec's

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:12 pm 
Site Admin

GARTHWILSON wrote:
I almost mentioned those, but I've never actually had occasion to use those instructions. They are attractive, but I would mostly want to use them in I/O, but I've never had the I/O in ZP.

Same here.

GARTHWILSON wrote:
For RMB, SMB, BBR, and BBS, I think I would prefer that the assembler take the bit number from the operand list (which you could do with a macro).

I recently added support for these to the simple assembler included in Py65:

Code:
Py65 Monitor

PC  AC XR YR SP NV-BDIZC
65C02: 0000 00 00 00 ff 00110000
.a 0
$0000  07 12     RMB0 $12     
$0002            _

It includes the bit number in the mnemonic as shown above. I figured this was the most straightforward thing to do since that's how they are listed in the W6502S datasheet (Table 5-2 "W65C02S OpCode Matrix") and it didn't introduce a new operand syntax. Many assemblers don't support these instructions at all.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:08 am 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
Quote:
They are attractive, but I would mostly want to use them in I/O, but I've never had the I/O in ZP.

The Rockwell microcontroller chips like the R6501 and R6541 have built in VIA/ACIA modules that have their control registers on zero page which makes these instructions very useful. Also by default these chips can only access a 4K ROM memory space so using them would keep code compact.

Open Source Projects - https://github.com/andrew-jacobs