6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 11:26 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Beginner needs help
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:48 pm 

(ah yes, I forgot mouser - I haven't used them but they have a UK operation.)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:04 pm 

whartung wrote:
BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
Seriously, building around an ARM, 65C134 or other microcontroller is too much like building a PC, where, as another member put it, you are assembling (not building) macroscopic components. That's screwdriver work, which isn't at all the same as taking some chips, capacitors, RAM, etc., scratch-designing a circuit, and then soldering the mess together and seeing if it goes or blows.

I haven't done it myself, but I have to agree with this. The modern micro controllers are so self contained, they literally need little more than power to get something up and running.

Vidi all the excitement over the Raspberry PI, which when analyzed from a "microscopic" point of view, is a slightly eccentric version of a PC—it's about as opaque from a hardware point of view as your typical x86 box. From a hardware perspective, I don't think there's all that much to be learned from the Pi. If it's programming you're interested in, load Linux on a PC, fire up gcc and start coding.

Quote:
Now, we can get all grognardy...

"Grognardy?" Never heard that one before. :D

Quote:
..."if you're not grinding gears, you don't know what computer design is", and "if you're not weaving, you're not coding", so it's a matter of how far you want to take it.

The more you can do for yourself, as opposed to getting stuff that others have done, the more you will learn. Just about all of my computer colleagues are completely at sea when hardware issues arise and think I'm a Houdini because I can fix that sort of stuff. The irony is that when I started out 42-odd years ago, you weren't considered a true technician unless you could not only program the stuff but could fix it when it broke. Not any more.

As I say on the home page of my POC website, "...thinking, planning and building the POC hardware will be a constant mental challenge..." How much of a mental challenge would it have been if I had purchased a Raspberry PI, installed Linux and logged in? Or built around an ARM or 65C256 microcontroller? Just how much would I have learned?

Quote:
I still think a simple SBC similar to POCv1 would be interesting.

So, what are you waiting for? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:24 pm 

In addition to this advantage, the Pi is inexpensive and has more I/O than today's PCs, which typically lack a parallel port.
(But really, it would be better to promote what you think is a good way to do things, rather than rubbishing someone else's choice.)
Cheers, Ed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:52 am 

whartung wrote:
Now, we can get all grognardy, and "get off my lawn", and "if you're not grinding gears, you don't know what computer design is", and "if you're not weaving, you're not coding", so it's a matter of how far you want to take it. The beauty is that you can take it all the way from off the shelf boards (heck I think even Radio Shack is selling Arduino kits now), through build SBCs with CPU down to hand crafting CPUs out of TTL gates to burn on to a PGA, or simply wrap together. You can do whatever you want any where along that spectrum, at home, with data from the internet. It pretty much stops cold at making transistors at home from beach sand. Home foundries aren't quite common place.

Exactly. I've never made a 6502 board from real hardware, but I have made a version of a 6502 computer in an FPGA, all the way down to the 6502 core itself. For my work, I use a lot of ARM devices, that literally only need 3V3 power to turn into a functioning 'computer', but I may add an external Ethernet port and SD card and write all the software to make them work. These are all completely different challenges, but each of them teaches something worthwhile about computer design.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:56 am 

Good debate! I agree with those who claim that the Rasp Pi might not be challenging for many but keep in mind it's an entry point, a lowered barrier to technology. Most people use technology and consume on a scale that I'm scared to even think of what the world will be like in 50 years. Yet, they don't understand how things work. I call it the 'alienation from technology'. We use it but don't understand it. The consequences will be (are) catastrophic: 80% of the products sold in the UK end up in the land fill in 6 month. From this point of view, Arduino and the Rasp Pi are great, they attract people who don't have the time, money and energy to learn about computing and turn them into makers. Or at least, they get an idea of how things work. I started learning programming when I bought my Arduino. I remember how exciting it was to be able to turn a LED on!
On the other hand, indeed these new devices are very easy to use but 'hide' what's under the bonnet. That's why I think it would be a great idea to have a DIY SBC kit. That could be the next logical step: after learning programming an SBC or a MUC, build a computer and master it! The Apatco one is great but not portable. It would be nice to have something like that but permanent. Such SBC could also serve as a basis for expanding the computer and learning about programming.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:58 am 

Arlet wrote:
whartung wrote:
Now, we can get all grognardy, and "get off my lawn", and "if you're not grinding gears, you don't know what computer design is", and "if you're not weaving, you're not coding", so it's a matter of how far you want to take it. The beauty is that you can take it all the way from off the shelf boards (heck I think even Radio Shack is selling Arduino kits now), through build SBCs with CPU down to hand crafting CPUs out of TTL gates to burn on to a PGA, or simply wrap together. You can do whatever you want any where along that spectrum, at home, with data from the internet. It pretty much stops cold at making transistors at home from beach sand. Home foundries aren't quite common place.

Exactly. I've never made a 6502 board from real hardware, but I have made a version of a 6502 computer in an FPGA, all the way down to the 6502 core itself. For my work, I use a lot of ARM devices, that literally only need 3V3 power to turn into a functioning 'computer', but I may add an external Ethernet port and SD card and write all the software to make them work. These are all completely different challenges, but each of them teaches something worthwhile about computer design.

Kudos! FPGAs are fantastic. If only I had the time to learn more about them, I have one but need to learn more... Somehow my simulations never work (Xilinx), whatever I design.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:02 am 

BigEd wrote:
Umm, I don't do a huge amount of electronics, but Digikey and Farnell both appear on my radar - and Maplins for small-scale urgent supplies. (I have a note-to-self that CPC is often much cheaper than Farnell even when their things arrive in Farnell packaging)
Then there's RS. Whatever works out cheaper, postage included!

I bought a few bits and bobs recently from hobbytronics.co.uk, which worked out well even though they seem small-scale players.

Not sure how much that helps!
Cheers
Ed

Good stuff, thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:02 pm 

whartung wrote:
It pretty much stops cold at making transistors at home from beach sand. Home foundries aren't quite common place.

Maybe not, but if you have access to a vacuum pump, it isn't very difficult to make triode valves (or vacuum tubes as our american friends like to call them.), as I actually did whilst taking A level Physics. I'd hate to have to make enougth of them to build a working computer but I wouldn't be surprised to find there is someone out there who is prepared to do it! Sounds to me like the ultimate in home-brew computing.

I have to agree that assembling your own computer from individual components is far more satisfying and educational than assembling a PC from pre-assembled modules. It is also far more frustrating as well!

BYTE! BYTE! BYTE!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:31 pm 

Here's a nice video of Claude Paillard hand making vacuum tubes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzyXMEpq4qw

And here's a relay computer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3wPBcmSb2U

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:31 pm 

Arlet wrote:
And here's a relay computer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3wPBcmSb2U

Yes, but will it run Linux? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:23 pm 

whartung wrote:
It pretty much stops cold at making transistors at home from beach sand. Home foundries aren't quite common place.

Years ago I read an article about sputtering your own transistors.
I don't recall what was used, but pretty sure it wasn't Silicon.
I think it was in the amateur scientist in Scientific American.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:11 am 

bogax wrote:
whartung wrote:

Years ago I read an article about sputtering your own transistors.
I don't recall what was used, but pretty sure it wasn't Silicon.
I think it was in the amateur scientist in Scientific American.

Isn't germanium easier to deal when making primitive transistors?

If you want to go hardcore, you can build your own valves, as mentioned and make all of the resistors, coils and capacitors(paper and oil), and then build the computer. Or mechanical, like Babbage's Difference engine...
But i guess you would spend like 10 years, and you would get something that is more of a peace of art that a device. I think the lowest that it is sane to go is down to ttl/cmos gates or relays(but that already is more art than machine).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:33 am 

Dajgoro wrote:
Isn't germanium easier to deal when making primitive transistors?

Don't really remember, but believe he tried several things. Though I can't remember
specifics, my recollection is that it was much more mundane stuff like copper oxide or
calcium carbide or something like that.
Dajgoro wrote:
If you want to go hardcore, you can build your own valves, as mentioned and make all of the resistors, coils and capacitors(paper and oil), and then build the computer. Or mechanical, like Babbage's Difference engine...
But i guess you would spend like 10 years, and you would get something that is more of a peace of art that a device. I think the lowest that it is sane to go is down to ttl/cmos gates or relays(but that already is more art than machine).

If it were me, I think I'd try magnetic reed relays.*

I always wanted to to build a calculator out of tinker toys.
(never could figure out a reasonable way to make a gate)

*my cousin and I built a four bit binary adder when we were in
junior high. we felt very clever using counter windings to form an
XOR gate :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:55 am 

bogax wrote:
*my cousin and I built a four bit binary adder when we were in
junior high. we felt very clever using counter windings to form an
XOR gate :)

:D

I remembered, before i even tried to solder a transistor, in some of the final grades of elementary, i found this old board with relays on top which made some sort of array, back then i didn't really know how to make a full adder, but i knew that such a device existed that could add binary numbers. So i went and i started soldering them with no clue how exactly should i connect them, but after a while i found a way to wire them up to act as a full adder :D . I think it was 3 bit.
And later i got another array of relays(each relay had 3 separate switches), and then i connected them so that when one relay was activated, it would activate the next, deactivate the previous, and keep itself active. So when started it would run in a loop, and i added led diodes so i got a running light that suck lots of power, and made a lot of noise(my mom actually complained about that). :D After that adventure i finally decided to give a try to the mythical transistors and their magical properties.

Years later i was planning to build a small relay computer, i actually estimated how much relays i would need, but i never had the money to buy them. So that didn't get very far. Maybe one day when ill have more money i could to try to implement that minimal cpu of mine which is giving me headaches because it won't fit in the xc9572, so i still need to fit it somehow(i was thinking of using a third cpld for instruction decoding, that might solve the problem).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:31 pm 

BigEd wrote:
In addition to this advantage, the Pi is inexpensive and has more I/O than today's PCs, which typically lack a parallel port.
(But really, it would be better to promote what you think is a good way to do things, rather than rubbishing someone else's choice.)
Cheers, Ed

Ed, I think you may be missing the point. I didn't "rubbish" (or "trash," as we Yanks might say) anyone's choices. What I am saying is that from a HARDWARE perspective, there's not much that can be learned from a Pi. It doesn't do anything that can't be done with a Mac or PC, neither of which also offers much in the way of a hardware learning experience. What the Pi offers is what a Mac or PC offers: a ready-to-run piece of hardware on which one can load and use an operating system, and run applications written to work on that operating system. This is in no way comparable to a homebrew system, such as Daryl's SBC series and André's projects, in which the hardware is scratch-designed around a microprocessor, glue logic, RAM, etc., and some kind of operating environment is created. Doing the latter is an implicit learning experience, from both hardware and software perspectives.

As for the lack of a parallel port, they have disappeared from commodity hardware primarily to reduce costs—the majority of computer users today have little need for a parallel port. The historical usage of a parallel port, driving a printer, has been taken over by USB and Ethernet. If a parallel port is needed it may be readily provided with an inexpensive adapter.