6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 7:30 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:49 am 

Hi,

I wonder if there's a circuit diagram for a simple 6502 based microcomputer. No ROM necessary, I just need a simple design for wire wrapping or breadboard. Where can I find circuit diagrams?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:27 am 

http://wilsonminesco.com/6502primer/index.html
It should answer every question that comes up in the process. If it does not, let me know, and I will improve it. What do you plan to use in place of a ROM though?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:05 am 

Amazing stuff, thanks! It does not have to be ROM-less, I just want something relatively simple to build. Maybe it's just me being a donut but is there an entire circuit diagram for your design in your website?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:39 am 

Just purchased a 6502 from ebay! Happy times!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:04 pm 

The 6502 is still being made today. In fact, if you count the 6502 cores inside custom ICs, they are being made in volumes of hundreds of millions of units per year-- it's just that they're not very visible and people often don't even realize they own them, like in computers under the hoods of cars and in consumer electronics. The website of the IP owner that does the licensing for the various manufacturers is http://www.westerndesigncenter.com/wdc/ .

I never put the entire computer on one schematic. There's really no reason to, and there are too many variations it could take. [Edit: I gave in and did one, at http://wilsonminesco.com/6502primer/pot ... ml#BAS_CPU. It's a very basic 65c02 computer.]

You would pretty much have to have ROM (like EEPROM) since there needs to be some program in place to get things going upon power-up. Without this, a processor by itself doesn't know the steps to go through to get its first program from disc flash or over a serial line or anywhere else to run, or even to run a keypad and display to let you key in a minimal program. There are ways around it, but they could have big problems. One example would be to get a non-volatile SRAM module like Dallas Semiconductor (now part of Maxim) makes and plan to have that be the only memory, and put the reset vector and routine into that with something esle, then plug it into your creation and turn it on. The problem there is that without a means to protect just that portion of RAM while letting the computer write to the rest of it as it needs to, programming errors could mean that you overwrite the reset vector or reset routine itself, making the computer unable to recover.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:18 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
http://wilsonminesco.com/6502primer/index.html It should answer every question that comes up in the process. If it does not, let me know, and I will improve it. What do you plan to use in place of a ROM though?

Q. Isn't wire-wrap unreliable?

A. Not if you do it right. In the twenty years I've used WW, I've never had a wrap fail. It has been 100.00% reliable. I may be more meticulous than I need to be, but it gives peace of mind. With good workmanship, the gizmo will last longer than we'll be around. The whole idea is that tightly wrapping clean wire on clean posts makes a chemical weld at each corner of the post. These are unaffected by oxidation on the outside of the spiral, however ugly it may get over the years, as well as unaffected by vibration. If you unwrap with the tool (as to fix a mistake), with a careful touch you can sometimes feel the tiny welds breaking. It gives confidence that there's more happening here than just metal touching metal.

First, alkopop79, welcome to our 6502/65C02/65C816... world. You are entering the fascinating (to me, at least) realm of digital circuit design with the venerable 6502

I reproduced the above from Garth's primer to highlight that for a first project, wire-wrapping is an excellent and inexpensive method of fabrication. Way back in 1970, I worked on the ZIP Mail Translator (ZMT) for the U.S. Post Office (as it was called at the time), which was a specialized computer for sorting mail. It was 100 percent wire-wrapped. Any hardware problems that did occur in it were always the result of chips or other issues, never the wire-wrapping itself.

The handy thing about wire-wrapped construction is the relative ease at which circuit changes can be made. That's usually quite important when starting out on something new.

alkopop79 wrote:

Just for future reference, the 65C02 is a better choice, with the 65C816 being even better. You can get either through popular electronics sources, such as Digi-Key, Jameco and Mouser. Beware of purchases through eBay for this sort of stuff. Any 6502 sold there is a most likely a used part. New production ceased years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:23 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
The 6502 is still being made today.

By "6502," Gath means 65C02. The NMOS part went out of production years ago. The 65C02 is a CMOS incarnation with some additional (and quite useful) instructions, as well as fixes for bugs in the NMOS part.

Quote:
You would pretty much have to have ROM (like EEPROM) since there needs to be some program in place to get things going upon power-up.

EPROM or EEPROM is the easiest way to go about having a boot source. Inexpensive EPROM burners are readily available and there is no shortage of suitable chips.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:33 pm 

alkopop79 wrote:

I have a stack of 65xx, ram , rom an other stuff that BitWise sent me for free, so if you need some ic, just send me a pm. Check on this topic.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:35 pm 

Quote:
By "6502," Ga[r]th means 65C02. The NMOS part went out of production years ago. The 65C02 is a CMOS incarnation with some additional (and quite useful) instructions, as well as fixes for bugs in the NMOS part.

Yes, and I probably should have made the distinction. It's not trivial. There's no reason to use the old NMOS 6502 if you're making your own hardware, since the CMOS version is so much better in every way.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:24 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
Quote:
By "6502," Ga[r]th means 65C02. The NMOS part went out of production years ago. The 65C02 is a CMOS incarnation with some additional (and quite useful) instructions, as well as fixes for bugs in the NMOS part.

Yes, and I probably should have made the distinction. It's not trivial. There's no reason to use the old NMOS 6502 if you're making your own hardware, since the CMOS version is so much better in every way.

CMOS is more expensive too, so if you don't care if it is CMOS or not, the old NMOS is much cheaper on ebay.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:53 pm 

The overall cost of the computer won't be much different though after you consider the cost of sockets, board, support ICs, LCD, power supply, etc., and especially your own labor. I think it's well worth going with the CMOS.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:27 am 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
The overall cost of the computer won't be much different though after you consider the cost of sockets, board, support ICs, LCD, power supply, etc., and especially your own labor. I think it's well worth going with the CMOS.

Yes, you are probably right, unless you already have all the other components. I took a look on ebay, and it turns out that there are lots of Rockwell 65c02 currently on ebay, and they cost as much as the regular 6502...

In a way the NMOS may be kinda fun, vintage ic, old silicon, heating up like hell, sucking power :D .

Edit: alkopop79 have you looked at the SBC-2 schematic? I used it as a base for my sbc.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:06 am 

Just to clarify points made about the 65C02, I would emphasise that there's nothing wrong in a hobby project based on an NMOS 6502 - it will take more power but you'll be able to do anything you want - it was good enough for Apple ][, PET, UK101, BBC micro, VIC20, Atari 400, Kim-1, Sym-1, Superboard, JOLT, ... !

Yes, the 65C02 has some useful opcodes, but nothing you can't do without if you're not pushing the envelope. And yes, it may be the easiest to buy and the only one still produced, but if you already have a 6502, don't be discouraged.

Cheers
Ed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:32 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
Quote:

Sorry for butchering up your name. :lol: I was thinking about that 'r' but evidently the computer didn't read my mind.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:12 pm 

Dajgoro wrote:
Yes, you are probably right, unless you already have all the other components. I took a look on ebay, and it turns out that there are lots of Rockwell 65c02 currently on ebay, and they cost as much as the regular 6502...

I don't recommend the Rockwell version, as aside from not being current production, it differs in some respects from the "official" form of the 65C02 as originally designed by Bill Mensch.

BigEd wrote:
Just to clarify points made about the 65C02, I would emphasise that there's nothing wrong in a hobby project based on an NMOS 6502 - it will take more power but you'll be able to do anything you want - it was good enough for Apple ][, PET, UK101, BBC micro, VIC20, Atari 400, Kim-1, Sym-1, Superboard, JOLT, ... !

True enough, although Apple quickly jumped on the 65C02 for the later ][c and ][e, and of course, the 65C816 for the ][gs.

Quote:
Yes, the 65C02 has some useful opcodes, but nothing you can't do without if you're not pushing the envelope.

Actually, I'd be more concerned about the hardware bugs in the NMOS part than the availability of the new CMOS instructions. A beginner can be easily tripped up by the JMP (xxFF) bug, for example. Also, there's an arcane bug involving BRK and an IRQ occurring at the same time. Both of these could get the unwary programmer who doesn't have a lot of familiarity with the 65xx family.

Quote:
And yes, it may be the easiest to buy and the only one still produced, but if you already have a 6502, don't be discouraged.

We're not discouraging anyone, just recommending that they stick with production items that do not exhibit bugs, and to avoid parts pulled out of old computers or culled from liquidated stock. Oftentimes, the good deal isn't such a good deal.

Speaking of good deals, I looked at number of 6502 listings on eBay and compared them to the cost of a 65C02 at Mouser or at Jameco. Generally speaking, the amount of money being demanded by eBay sellers for the obsolete NMOS part of questionable origins would pay for the genuine WDC item. As always, caveat emptor!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next