6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2024 10:21 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:44 am 

Found in a Flickr comment by Jeri Ellsworth:
Quote:
You may quote Dave Esposito also who was a chip layout guy
"Ahhh yes, the VIC ... hand drawn my friend.
I cut my teeth with that one. That and the 65C02 (CMOS version of 5602)
Wax pencils, grided milar, and a cool light table for digitizing.
The old days of Asses and Elbows. Thats what it looked like when we did LVS.
You look in the Layout room and you see some one (usually a guy in this industry)
up on the table bent over tracing polygons. All you see is someones ass in the air leaning on his elbows."

The Flickr image in question is one of the VIC II which Jeri reverse engineered for the FPGA in the C64DTV

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:01 am 

I see the Wikipedia article mentioned in the comment (about the VICII) hasn't been updated, it still conflicts with that comment you sited and the quote from Bil Herd.

-Tor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:02 pm 

Interesting. I wonder if Wikipedia is happy with adjustments based on Flickr comments. I know BDD has a track record as an editor, perhaps he'd be happy to make an edit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOS_Techno ... nt_history

(User Nixdorf added the questionable info)

Edit: I gather BDD is dissatisfied with the Wikipedia process, so less likely to bother with this.

Last edited by BigEd on Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:50 pm 

So I guess the question is about the statement pertaining to the VIC 6567/6569, not 65C02 as indicated by the subject line.

If the real question is (as I am trying to guess) about the indication that Applicon was used to layout it, and that information comes right out of Brian Bagnall's book "On The Edge: The Spectacular Rise and Fall of Commodore" page 230, and I quote:

"Charpentier worked with two draftsmen and a CAD operator (Computer Aided Design). The CAD operator sat in front of a special purpose Applicon system and created a blueprint for the chip.The two draftsmen would then use his schematics to lay out the surface of the chip, hunched over large pieces of vellum paper."

If this is incorrect you need a published reference for Wikipedia, write an article on this 6502 website and research the issue with verifiable sources for example. Wikipedia itself shall not be used for original research.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:36 pm 

Thanks Nixdorf, and thanks for the citation (I've read and enjoyed On the Edge but only a borrowed copy.) Indeed, this thread kicks off on the 65C02, but the referenced comments on Flickr are attributed to people who were there at the time and relate to the VIC II (or so I understand it.) You are suggesting, I think, that one would need those quotes on a static page in order to cite them and defend an edit to the page on Wikipedia. It's doubtful that anyone will do that, but a comment on the Talk page might be in order.
Cheers
Ed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:26 pm 

Bagnalls information comes from interviews with, for example, Al Charpentier, so you need a real good and even more trustworthy source. What we do if two trusted named source indicate different things is list both pieces of information and state that the truth is unclear.

In historic research written sources as close to the described event are considered most trustworthy, so the best way to really find out is to browse e.g. CBM correspondance from the time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:56 pm 

The best (easiest) thing would perhaps be to get Bil Herd to write something up on his c128.com site and then cite that. He's quoted as saying the CAD program was not in use in the year in question. Better yet, cite the Flickr page.