6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2024 2:35 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 2012 Olympics in London
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:57 am 

This has absolutely nothing to do with a 6502, although judging by the technology, I'll bet plenty of microprocessors were involved.

My wife and I just got through watching the Olympics opening ceremonies in Foggy London and I must say it was great and very artistic. I particularly got a chuckle out of the scene where Queen Elizabeth and Bond—James Bond—bailed out of the helicopter and into the stadium. It seems improbable, but one never really knows for sure. I didn't realize her majesty was a member of the SAS! :lol:

Anyhow, a big "hats off" to our friends in the UK for an opening ceremony that won't be soon forgotten. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:41 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
...Anyhow, a big "hats off" to our friends in the UK for an opening ceremony that won't be soon forgotten. :D

Aye. Cheers!

We were watching last night, missed the very beginning of the ceremony, but we were struck by how many recognized countries there were. Looking forward to the swimming event tonight, the so called "duel in the pool".

I was wondering... In the morning news here in the US, the US gymnastics team was asked "Do you have your British accent down?". And the one little girl showed off her fake accent... And I was wondering if Brits hate it when we try to put on their accent?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:08 am 

Quote:
And I was wondering if Brits hate it when we try to put on their accent?

No, because there isn't a british accent, there are lots of them - some of which need subtitles when played to non british audiences.

The accent that you all try to do is the caricature british accent that's always used in US films and TV for the token brit.

We don't actually talk like that.

Lee.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:22 am 

leeeeee wrote:
Quote:
...We don't actually talk like that.

Lee.

Well, this is why I asked. All we have to go on is our media. I've/I do watch alot of old Dr. Who (stopped at the 7th I believe). I like the singer from The Who (just coincidence here) Roger Daltrey (especially since he played in Highlander series). Rob Halford from Judas Priest... All these guys are slightly different... But that is amazing you actually need translation for some! That speaks for the age and depth of your culture. Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:25 am 

leeeeee wrote:

Lee.

No. we all speak English English

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgPH0tYXJrA

Open Source Projects - https://github.com/andrew-jacobs

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:50 pm 

Quote:
But that is amazing you actually need translation for some!

Without subtitles the Red Riding Trilogy is aparently unpenetrable to some Americans and the US distributors for Attack the Block want(ed) to subtitle it.

I believe Gregory's Girl was also subtitled for US release.

Lastly, we do so love giving films rude titles and watching US announcers oblivious to the meaning. It's like a schoolboy prank for the whole netion.

Lee.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:41 pm 

I know from my hometown that accents can differ over ten miles (not, in that case, to the point of mutual unintelligibility, only to the point of recognition)
Here's some general orientation, in a semi-serious mode:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18983558
(I didn't see the ceremony but it sounds quite something)
Cheers
Ed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:21 pm 

leeeeee wrote:
Lastly, we do so love giving films rude titles and watching US announcers oblivious to the meaning. It's like a schoolboy prank for the whole netion.

Though there was some comeuppance for that with "Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me"...

("shag" meaning nothing but thick carpet in the US, and a funny British-ism to us)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:45 pm 

leeeeee wrote:
Quote:

No, because there isn't a british accent, there are lots of them - some of which need subtitles when played to non british audiences.

The accent that you all try to do is the caricature british accent that's always used in US films and TV for the token brit.

Lee.

A long-time friend, who emigrated from Germany with his parents in the 1950s, can do a pretty good Cockney accent. Me, I'm best at sounding like a southern American hick. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:50 pm 

White Flame wrote:
Though there was some comeuppance for that with "Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me"...

("shag" meaning nothing but thick carpet in the US, and a funny British-ism to us)

Excuse me, but I know precisely what the British use of shag means and when I hear the word I don't think about carpets (except maybe "carpet burn"). :P "Shag" is actually in pretty widespread use among the young folks around here, and they're not talking about carpet either.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:59 pm 

ElEctric_EyE wrote:
leeeeee wrote:
Quote:
...We don't actually talk like that.

Lee.

Well, this is why I asked. All we have to go on is our media. I've/I do watch alot of old Dr. Who (stopped at the 7th I believe). I like the singer from The Who (just coincidence here) Roger Daltrey (especially since he played in Highlander series). Rob Halford from Judas Priest... All these guys are slightly different... But that is amazing you actually need translation for some! That speaks for the age and depth of your culture. Cheers!

A British TV import I always liked was "Are you being served?", in which the gamut of British accents was usually present, along with the classic British sense of dry humor. I was really disappointed when the show went off the air—it was very funny.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:02 pm 

BigEd wrote:
I know from my hometown that accents can differ over ten miles (not, in that case, to the point of mutual unintelligibility, only to the point of recognition)

Well where i live, almost every town had his language, but that was a long time ago...
As for speaking English, in school teachers thought us British English, and discouraged US English.

About the games, my friend invited me to go with him to London, but at the end he decided not to go.
But i way planning to visit London anyway, just have to find a cheap plane ticket...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:03 pm 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
A British TV import I always liked was "Are you being served?", in which the gamut of British accents was usually present, along with the classic British sense of dry humor. I was really disappointed when the show went off the air—it was very funny.

This is a show I remember too. Not one I tuned in to, but I've seen it at times when visiting family. Made me laugh. To pass it on, I guess one must buy the DVDs.

BTW as far as this thread is concerned, maybe bringing relevance to 6502.org, regarding CPUs, I'd forgotten to mention Pink Floyd as one of my earliest favorite English bands. They had the best of the best (talent, tech, and more, heh), before anyone else. They made the best use of it all back in those days. Although some of it I'm sure was analog originally, not sure... The Live at Pompeii is a most awesome DVD, that provides insight to audio computer control!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:15 pm 

leeeeee wrote:
Quote:

You mean like Talking. Like. This. While. Stroking. A. Fluffy. Kitten?
:D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:41 pm 

leeeeee wrote:
Lastly, we do so love giving films rude titles

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.