6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:53 pm 

http://hackaday.com/2012/05/10/your-gui ... -computer/

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:10 pm 

I'd be interested to know how much (serious) traffic comes by on both sites - beyond the first few pages or posts. It would be great to get more members on the forum.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 7:10 pm 

Nightmaretony wrote:

I saw the wisecrack about the 6809 being "better" than the 6502. If such were the case, the 6809, not the 6502, would be powering all sorts of devices today. Of course, I'm preaching to the choir around here. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 5:36 am 

Agreed and in terms of support and going farther, time has told the truth :D

Amen.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:53 am 

Although you'll find I have 6502 as a very firm favourite, I do like to hear about different architectures and the tradeoffs which gave rise to them. The genesis of the 6502 was bus-compatibility, so interesting projects like
liber809
Grant's 6809 computer
Compukit uk101 with 6809
are not impossibly difficult. I'd be happy to hear more about them on the forum - I have a favourite but I don't bear any hostility. The various CPUs have different strengths and weaknesses - obviously none is entirely superior.

There was a time not so long ago, before Hack A Day instigated an explicit policy, when their comments streams were pitched battles of negativity and flame wars. It's calmed down a lot since the change, but it's still possible that the 'wisecrack' is a deliberate attempt to get some annoyed responses. YHBT, as they used to say. It's worth being wary of that kind of behaviour.

Cheers
Ed

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:01 pm 

BigEd wrote:
Although you'll find I have 6502 as a very firm favourite, I do like to hear about different architectures and the tradeoffs which gave rise to them...before Hack A Day instigated an explicit policy, when their comments streams were pitched battles of negativity and flame wars.

I find different architectures interesting as well, even that horrid mess that is Intel. And I generally don't get involved in flaming about which MPU is/was the next best thing to really hot sex, since, as you noted, all designs incorporate tradeoffs of one kind or another. The 65xx family has its own limitations (main one being the paucity of general purpose registers) but, patently, these limitations were not enough to relegate the family to also-ran status. As I opined elsewhere, working with the 65xx family (65C816, in my case) is hard enough to be a challenge but easy enough to be enjoyable and interesting. There aren't a lot of MPUs about which that can be said—especially that horrid mess that is Intel. :lol: