6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 4:21 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Vias
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:27 am 

Slightly OT, but I trust this group more than the bulk of the WEB, sooo...

Considering modern fabrication technologies and techniques, are vias the bad boy they used to be (circa early 80's)? I spend hours, many hours, reducing the number of vias in my designs. However, I see some commercial products, like the Arduino, that have enough vias to give me fits. Are my fears unfounded?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:04 am 

We have never, ever had a via go bad in our products. I've been designing boards with vias since the late 80's. The closest problem we had was a manufacturing problem at a particular board house maybe a dozen years ago, where a problem in their drilling operation was wiping epoxy over the exposed edges of pads on inner layers so the thru-plating couldn't connect to them. The boards were bad from the start though, not years later. Our vias on .062"-thick boards are .015" finished hole size, and on small .031"-thick boards, they're .008" finished hole size. I put .010" of pad around the hole, so for example a .015" hole has a .035" pad. If you don't really have a pad, ie, the trace just kind of falls into the hole, I suppose that constitutes asking for trouble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:12 pm 

Vias gave me fits on the neo geos, not for the manufacturing but if they had an acid spill of coca cola since the solder over the or the hole itself would rot, so I would need to run a wire through them and solder them to each side....

Post subject: Re: Vias
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:03 pm 

BillO wrote:
Slightly OT, but I trust this group more than the bulk of the WEB, sooo...

Considering modern fabrication technologies and techniques, are vias the bad boy they used to be (circa early 80's)? I spend hours, many hours, reducing the number of vias in my designs. However, I see some commercial products, like the Arduino, that have enough vias to give me fits. Are my fears unfounded?

I've never had a problem with vias. I use them as needed to maintain a neat board layout. My POC unit is full of them and works fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:17 am 

Okay, I'll man up about them then. It will probably save me a day a month and make my layouts a little easier.

I used to work for a teleprinter manufacturer back in the late 70's and early 80's. IIRC, about 30% of early failures we due to the vias thru-plating fracturing away from the trace. It was easy to fix, but expensive to get the machines in from and back out to the customers. We were paranoid about them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:45 am 

That must have been at the end of the problem era for them, because I bought several Heathkits in the late 70's and early 80's with double-sided boards and vias, and the assembly instructions specifically said you didn't have to solder the vias, yet to this day, none have failed that I know of. (I have to say "that I know of" because I gave away and lost contact with my $750 oscilloscope with a bazillion PCBs.) I do remember seeing ads in the trade magazines for PCB eyelets though, to fix bad vias I suppose (although the vias I design into boards now are much too small to put the eyelets in).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:29 am 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
That must have been at the end of the problem era for them, because I bought several Heathkits in the late 70's and early 80's with double-sided boards and vias, and the assembly instructions specifically said you didn't have to solder the vias, yet to this day, none have failed that I know of. (I have to say "that I know of" because I gave away and lost contact with my $750 oscilloscope with a bazillion PCBs.) I do remember seeing ads in the trade magazines for PCB eyelets though, to fix bad vias I suppose (although the vias I design into boards now are much too small to put the eyelets in).

I recall in the 1970s patching up PCBs with faulty vias by inserting bare wire through them and soldering. Tracking down the bad vias was time-consuming though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:34 am 

We've come a long way, baby. Even 20 years ago I remember seeing boards with traces whose width was the same as their height (ie, thickness) with sharp corners and straight-up sides. How they can make a trace with a square cross section is beyond me-- but so is how they can make die-feature sizes something like 1/20th of a wavelength of visible indigo light!