6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 3:21 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:54 am 

Dajgoro wrote:
Well i didn't mean it would catch fire or something like that, i only meant that the chip would not work anymore, since someone said recommended time is 50-100ms, 3 second it at least 30x more. It will be more likely that the chip might get damaged if the reset line is held down for a minute like you said...
Okay, fair enough. I didn't explain why I suggested we consider testing one-minute Resets -- even though the reported spec is 50-100 ms.

I once witnessed a malfunction where a 65C22 had 8 of its peripheral lines shorted. The chip got hot enough to burn my finger... and yet it worked fine after the short was removed and everything cooled down. Admittedly that's not an exact parallel to an NMOS '02, but it does lend support to my view that, in regard to heat, these chips are not easy to kill. (Heck, they bake 'em in ovens during manufacture, don't forget!) So, the next question is: how long does it take for a chip to get that hot? Even in the rather severe malfunction I observed, the power dissipated would only be a few watts. And, the 40-pin plastic DIP package and its socket have significant thermal mass as well as some heat-sinking ability. So: although it's only a "guesstimate," I find it unlikely that the chip could achieve truly destructive temperatures in anything less than several seconds. We can bracket that amount widely: on one side with our cautious engineer in the 70's saying 50-100 ms, seeking to avoid damage; and, on the other side, with you and Ed and our other 6502.org experimenters, who ought to tread harshly in attempting to confirm that damage can be done! That latter point is what led me to suggest one minute.

On a different tack, it occurs to me that the 50-100 ms figure may be quoted on the low side not for fear of toasting the cpu but simply in order to minimize the burden on the 5 volt power supply, which would be in its power-up sequence during the time RST is asserted. Ie, the power supply might fail to wake up properly.

-- Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:08 pm 

Dr Jefyll wrote:
Dajgoro wrote:
Well, i don't understand this anymore, you said that if the reset line is hold too long the chip will overheat and burn up? Did i get it right?
Yes, but "burn up" may be putting it much too strongly.
For our present experiments, I think holding a finger to the CPU to see if it gets hot should be enough?

Quote:
...the Visual6502 User Guide seems to lack some of the necessary information (eg: how to modify the program). What's the best way to raise an issue about the User Guide?

Sorry about that - I seem to have left stubs! Letting me know on this forum is one way, or by means of a PM, or a note on a Talk page, as you have done. I will update the User Guide, but as a quick guide:
    - interactively, you can click on the memory map and change the content of each location
    - in the URL, you can use a= and d= to patch any addresses with data. So ...&a=400&d=eaea&... would put a couple of NOPs at $0400. Use the same technique if you wish to adjust the vectors at the top of memory. You can load quite long programs this way (in several sections, usually)

Quote:
...[may get and test a 2A03]...
That would be great!

Cheers
Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:57 pm 

You could use a IR digital thermometer gun I use one all the time to check for board hot spots... And it saves your finger tips....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:04 am 

falcon5252 wrote:
thermometer gun [...] saves your finger tips....
Hmmm... good idea. But the old manual method works, too. Which reminds me of some amusing terminology I recall hearing somewere. Informally speaking, the sacrificial fingertip was referred to as a "digital wattmeter!" :D

BigEd wrote:
For our present experiments, I think holding a finger to the CPU to see if it gets hot should be enough?
Yes, that'd be the approach I would take. Touch the center of the chip and continue doing so. Then hit RESET for at least 20 or 30 seconds (or until you notice heat). If there's a serious excess of dissipation then you're apt to feel it in the first 5 seconds, but a less severe case will take much longer to become perceptible.

-- Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:14 am 

That's about the same as when my boss called me in his office and said a customer reported I was beating on the video poker games in anger,, And asked me what the He!! I was doing... I told him it was a high impact circuit integrity test..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:56 pm 

Dr Jefyll wrote:
falcon5252 wrote:
thermometer gun [...] saves your finger tips....
Hmmm... good idea. But the old manual method works, too. Which reminds me of some amusing terminology I recall hearing somewere. Informally speaking, the sacrificial fingertip was referred to as a "digital wattmeter!" :D

And I suppose bridging two live terminals with one's finger constitutes a digital voltmeter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:00 pm 

falcon5252 wrote:
That's about the same as when my boss called me in his office and said a customer reported I was beating on the video poker games in anger,, And asked me what the He!! I was doing... I told him it was a high impact circuit integrity test..

Silly me. All these years I've just been calling it a "thump!" But your term sounds much more schooled and impressive!

I wrote:
the sacrificial fingertip was referred to as a "digital wattmeter!"
BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
And I suppose bridging two live terminals with one's finger constitutes a digital voltmeter.

Yes, exactly so! :D Just be aware of proper use of the Range setting when using these precision instruments:
  • with the digital wattmeter, you lick your finger before measuring very high temperatures. Conversely,
  • with the digital voltmeter, only lick your finger if the voltage you're measuring is low.

cheers,
Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:06 pm 

I digress slightly, But years ago when they had the New York power blackout.. The Tech that found the problem was asked what he charged the city for fixing the problem, Which had been a relay with welded contacts... His answer was " 1$ for tapping, And a $1000 for knowing where to tap..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:48 pm 

falcon5252 wrote:
I digress slightly, But years ago when they had the New York power blackout.. The Tech that found the problem was asked what he charged the city for fixing the problem, Which had been a relay with welded contacts... His answer was " 1$ for tapping, And a $1000 for knowing where to tap..

I work in the protective relaying for high-voltage power transmission. I shared this with the guys and they all laughed. This is very true - our problems are usually easy to fix, you just have to know where to look!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:50 pm 

Glad you got a good laugh from it ...

Post subject: Re: NMOS 6502 Reset bug
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:38 pm 

Sorry for digging down to 2011, but I think it's worth sharing. Some first-hand information on the subject:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXRvCnmLj7A&t=3000
It seems that the original MOS Technology 6502 had a 200Ω "resistor" from Vcc to GND built into the CPU. Doesn't seem like a lot, however it seems like there were more things making them overheat, fixed in early 1990s.

Post subject: Re: NMOS 6502 Reset bug
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:45 pm 

Interesting! So that would be 25mA, I think, or 125mW. That's quite a chunk compared to the 700mW total (on a random Synertek datasheet.) Although we hear from Bil Herd there that this was fixed by the Commodore were making their later devices, we don't know if the anecdote might be from the really early revisions - it was revision D that was generally used, fixing the ROR bug, about a year after introduction.