6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 12:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:13 pm 

BigEd wrote:
How about this: if the bandwidth is adequate, use UDP packets over Ethernet over CAT5 cable. (Or even raw Ethernet frames?)

Bandwidth doesn't get to be adequate until you hit 100-base-T (which delivers 10MBps burst rate). But, supposing it did, it's not future-proof, because you can't just upgrade hardware and expect it to work at 500Mbps. :) That's the nice thing about a GPIB-based backplane -- if you upgrade the peripherals, and the backplane itself can handle it, you get the rate increase for free.

The other problem I have with Ethernet is that, with my experience so far, they're stupifyingly difficult to write software for. I don't know why this is -- Ethernet should be drop-dead simple to code for: set up a DMA buffer, enable it, and wait for packets. On interrupt, query the buffer, and do your thing. Polled I/O should be simpler. Yet, my attempts to code an NE2000 driver, arguably the simplest of all possible Ethernet interfaces, in the past have been met with nothing but fail.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:39 pm 

kc5tja wrote:
Change the image to what though? At 150KB per screen, you can only pack so many frame buffers into the video card's memory. Eventually, the CPU will need to load frames into the card, and it must do so at least at frame rate.

I get what your saying, but consider the latest generations of CPU's compared to GPUs.

Phenom 9950 has four 64-bit CPU cores at 2.6 GHz, A total of 758 million transistors. But only does 41.6 GFLOPS.

Where as AMD through their ATI division is making a Radeon HD 5970 with 2 256-bit cores, 4,308 million transistors, and a impressive 5440 GFLOPS of processing power.

With the large sizes (in the GBs) of DDR ram available to the graphics card. I was just envisioning building a dedicated GPU that will get the raw data from the CPU (such as a map of a area in a vedio game) and the CPU will only have to tell the GPU what is the X,Y,X and bearing of the person/characters to generate the map for example in a modern video game. Which is what many online games today do to limit the bandwidth requirements between the players.

kc5tja wrote:
Remember back in the mid-80s and early-90s when the MPC standard came out?

Depending on the specific year, I was either not alive yet, or too young to know what a computer is. :oops:

But I am looking it up as I am typing this. :)

Dimitri

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:20 pm 

Dimitri wrote:
Quote:
Which is what many online games today do to limit the bandwidth requirements between the players.

Sure; but, this doesn't apply to my use-case. Even if it did, it would require I download code to video terminal, which greatly complicates matters if you are running the game in a windowed environment. The video hardware certainly cannot expect to know every possible graphical application I want to run. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:29 pm 

You might be right, I may indeed be complicating matters.

Dimitri