6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 11:30 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 755 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2024 6:02 pm 

It was a great time to be into music and tech!
Had a Moog in 1980 and also messed around with it, adding a line in to the filter section so I could pump drums from my VIC-20 into the mix.
Written in basic of course, but still bleeding edge for the day.

Originally I gutted a dead Roland 88 key piano for the hammer action and velocity sensitive board but after some time realized that I didn't like it for synth playing.
I have a nice weighted digital piano and a synth action board in my studio, and prefer the zero weight basic keys for the synth and weight for piano.
It took some time to track down a non weighted 88 key unit for parts, but finally I have the non velocity and zero weight board I prefer for shredding on the synth.

I will be able to add the nuances of volume on each track though as I have individual adc controlled filters on all 12 channels - volume, low pass, resonance, and overdrive.
All FX are pure analog (Buchla style LPF + Res), but all recordable via ADC for playback via 8 bit digital DAC back to said filters.

There are also 4 patchable FX channels that include spring reverb, digital reverb and others yet to be determined.
So if I want an epic volume swell on a track, I just hit record on that tracks volume FX and it will record the action of the ADC knob with whatever FX is assigned.

Each of the 12 audio channels are quite complex, which is why I have an individual 6502 for each of them.
Actually, each channel is basically a complete instrument on it's own, at least as capable as Octamed on Amiga was.
The main 6502 running the OS only has to tell each channel what to do, so it can keep up to all of the track data being send and recorded.

I should probably buy a bunch more 65C02s for spare parts while I can still get the DIP format. I want to be able to keep this beast running until they burry me with it in 40 years!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1s5ktZVFxw

barnacle wrote:
I assume the keyboard has velocity sensing (or whatever the term is: how hard you hit it, basically).

You're reminding me of an additive synthesizer I designed, um, forty years ago for a friend in the music business; stuffed full of TI DSPs. In context, they were expensive parts and initially I simulated them using a 6502. It _did not_ run at full speed! :D

Neil

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2024 1:14 am 

Wow, it has been 6 years since I did any real form of accurate welding, but it came back to me after a while.
Last thing I built with any real precision was my electric tractor, and that was in 2018.

I had half a day to spend in the old shack out back and managed to get the entire top segment of the frame together.
Welds are not complete or smoothed out yet, but it makes the project feel real to finally see it come together.

Here is what I am aiming for....

Attachment:
V4.6.jpg
V4.6.jpg [ 2.3 MiB | Viewed 36 times ]

And here is the top frame segment...

Attachment:
frame3.jpg
frame3.jpg [ 1.05 MiB | Viewed 36 times ]

A few stills from the many videos I took today...

Attachment:
frame2.jpg
frame2.jpg [ 996.02 KiB | Viewed 36 times ]

It probably took more time to get all of the action shots than to actually cut and weld the frame.
I am making a very detailed video series of this build later, so there can never be enough video.
Even made a head mounted iphone holder so I can do POV welding and grinding.
It will also come in handy when I start soldering the 1000 or so ICs on those massive perf boards.

Later!
Radical Brad

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2024 2:29 am 

Over the years, I have found a number of uses for a pallet.  Acting as a welding table wasn’t one of them.  :D  I’d be afraid of setting the damned thing on fire.  :shock:

When I need to build a weldment such as what you are doing, I get out this big hunk of aluminum tooling plate that I’ve been using for some 50 years.  I just set it on some jackstands, which puts the work at a height that is comfortable for welding while I’m seated.  In the below photo, I have it set up with a welding jig on top of it.

Attachment:
File comment: Makeshift Welding Table
fixture01_reduced.jpg
fixture01_reduced.jpg [ 795.1 KiB | Viewed 30 times ]

The tooling plate is four feet in length, 3/4 inch thick and despite being aluminum, weighs over 100 pounds.  Back when I was a young whippersnapper, I’d just pick it up.  Nowadays, I use the cherry-picker to lift it and thus avoid making an unscheduled visit to the nearest emergency room.  :o

Here’s another view of it in use.

Attachment:
File comment: Makeshift Welding Table
frame_welded02.jpg
frame_welded02.jpg [ 831.36 KiB | Viewed 30 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2024 4:09 am 

Nice shop, and certainly a durable and flat table to work on.
My current shop is the great outdoors, and my clients... "whatever breaks on the farm"!
It was a chore to make that complex frame true, but I managed to do it, using a lot of shims on that old pallet.
Also did catch the grass on fire a few times, but that's usually what happens.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2024 4:56 am 

The last use I had for a pallet was firewood: the 'real' firewood was delivered in pallet crates with instructions for disposal being 'add to firewood pile' :D (And then I moved next door, which doesn't have a fireplace, but SWMBO insisted the wood came with us so now it gets burnt a few logs at a time for barbecues.)

Quote:
It will also come in handy when I start soldering the 1000 or so ICs on those massive perf boards.

Eeh! Hand wiring? Point to point? That may be taking authenticity too far - I think I would seriously consider circuit boards, given how cheap they are these days. (I might think about a homebrew wave soldering system too... how hard can it be? What could possibly go wrong?)

Neil

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 755 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51