6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:27 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 11:38 pm 

I am going to be filming a rather large video series on a 6502 retro hardware project I have been working on for several years and intend roll it out like a mini series / case study.
Think along the lines of... Jim Butterfield meets Halt and Catch Fire.

In my script, a fictional company (mine) is backed by one of the home computer companies in 1980 to manufacture a unique 6502 based synthesizer to go head to head with the Fairlight CMI.
I want this company to be Commodore and would like to do a few shots that emulate meetings in their boardroom and other scenes (not using any actual names of people).
it would also be cool to use the old familiar Commodore Logo on my final project as if it was rolled out of their R&D lab in the 1980s.

I see that Commodore is actually still up and running as an Italian company rebranding laptops, so I am not sure if this is a good idea.
This is just a personal project and no hardware will be produced for sale, but I am going to be putting several years of hard work in to this and expect a good amount of traffic to my various sites.
The last thing I want is to be 2 years into my 30th episode with 100k subscribers and then have someone send out a legal letter saying "shut it down, that's our brand".

Anyone with knowledge on this kind of thing have any advice?
Is it fine to mention a company of the 80's in a fictional work if they still carry the brand logo today?
Should I just scrap the Commodore scenes altogether and make up another fake company with a similar name instead?

It was quite a shock to find that company using the C= logo and brand when I did some checking as to who owned it today.

Cheers!
Radical Brad

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 12:44 am 

Oneironaut wrote:
In my script, a fictional company (mine) is backed by one of the home computer companies in 1980 to manufacture a unique 6502 based synthesizer to go head to head with the Fairlight CMI...I want this company to be Commodore...it would also be cool to use the old familiar Commodore Logo on my final project...

I am not an attorney, but have reason to believe your depiction of the Commodore logo, as well as the company name, as part of a work of fiction may run afoul of copyright law if Commodore the company is central to the story.  On the other hand, if your usage is limited to using Commodore and its logo as a scene-setter in your story, you are probably okay.  Scene-setting in that fashion is common practice in the motion picture industry; it’s in the same category as including film/video of well-known buildings and landmarks as part of the story to establish a locale.

That said, only a lawyer who knows copyright and trademark law can make a positive determination as to what you can do without getting into trouble.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 6:33 am 

Agreed, only a lawyer can give you worthwhile advice, and different lawyers might give different advice. You then have to figure out what to do with that advice - figure out what the stakes are and how much you care - it sounds like you really wouldn't want to be scuppered, and that's perhaps your answer.

Perhaps a friendly graphics designer can create something which looks 80s and does the job.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 1:28 pm 

Thanks for the comments.

I thought about it again last night and have decided it's not worth the risk and will just make up a fictional 80's company to fit.

Welcome to The Admiral Computer Corporation. We have vertical integration, a CMOS version of the 6502, and produce the famous VIC-40 home computer.
Our founder John Leimart is very interested in meeting with you to discuss a potential partnership. Together we could dominate the music industry.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 4:42 pm 

Oneironaut wrote:
Welcome to The Admiral Computer Corporation. We have vertical integration, a CMOS version of the 6502, and produce the famous VIC-40 home computer.

How about naming your fictitious computer the “VIC-02?”  That would steer clear of any trademark issues, yet make a roundabout connection to the VIC-20 and Commodore, plus get part of “6502” in there.  Also, there would be no reason why you couldn’t bastardize the C= logo, again making that roundabout connection.  I’ve seen things such as that done many times in movies and TV programs.

Quote:
Our founder John Leimart is very interested in meeting with you to discuss a potential partnership.  Together we could dominate the music industry.

John Leimart?  Funny how search engine results on that name mostly return hits to a pediatrician in the USA.  :D  As for the music angle, it’s ironic the VIC-20 had relatively little music capability compared to the C-64.

Incidentally, VIC is a supposedly-naughty word in German, which caused some controversy for Commodore when marketing the VIC-20 in then-West Germany. They ended up advertising it as the VC-20.  Furthermore, the C-64 when in prototype was referred to as the VIC-40.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 8:46 pm 

I like it, thanks!
VIC-02 it shall be.

I chose the VIC-20 to push that 1980 date. In my hardware, I am using the keyboard form a VIC and a drive mechanism from a VIC-1541 drive. My video circuit and main OS computer is a derivative of the PET, using mostly logic and a 6502. All of these parts will be licensed from said fictitious company using their supplier network. At one point, there was even a deal with Sequential Circuits for the piano keyboard they once sold.

Because of having these parts available in volume, taking on Fairlight by offering a more affordable and more powerful synth would have been completely feasible back in the day.

I have decided on the name Jacques Leimart as the president of Admiral Computers. Commodore fanboys (like me) will know who that is right away!
I also like your idea for hacking the old chicken head logo into something with the same cheesy flavor.

Ps,
Thanks for dropping by my little forum - seen your name pass by the other day!

Cheers,
Brad

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
Oneironaut wrote:

How about naming your fictitious computer the “VIC-02?”  That would steer clear of any trademark issues, yet make a roundabout connection to the VIC-20 and Commodore, plus get part of “6502” in there.  Also, there would be no reason why you couldn’t bastardize the C= logo, again making that roundabout connection.  I’ve seen things such as that done many times in movies and TV programs.

Quote:
Our founder John Leimart is very interested in meeting with you to discuss a potential partnership.  Together we could dominate the music industry.

John Leimart?  Funny how search engine results on that name mostly return hits to a pediatrician in the USA.  :D  As for the music angle, it’s ironic the VIC-20 had relatively little music capability compared to the C-64.

Incidentally, VIC is a supposedly-naughty word in German, which caused some controversy for Commodore when marketing the VIC-20 in then-West Germany. They ended up advertising it as the VC-20.  Furthermore, the C-64 when in prototype was referred to as the VIC-40.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 9:08 pm 

You could change the name to something like "Come-Indoors."  (You can probably come up with a better one.)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2024 11:09 pm 

It's going to be fun now that I can take some liberties with names!

GARTHWILSON wrote:
You could change the name to something like "Come-Indoors."  (You can probably come up with a better one.)