6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:50 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 6502 hobby boards....
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 4:10 am 

I wanted to source a 6502 hobby board to make and play around with as I have a number of assembly books with practice programs to make. , I have a machine language monitor on its way from the states , and a new powersupply as the orginal I have is nakered. , now the hobby board I was looking at is the one I see on an old video from the 8bit guy , so my question is should I bother or just wait to work on the real thing once the parts have arrived?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 11:48 am 

I'm afraid you need to provide more context.

Which hobby board? Any links to it on the net?

What machine language monitor do you mean?

What parts for what? It seems you are talking about two boards?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 12:28 pm 

Apologies I wrote that with lack of sleep , and still have had no sleep but....

The 8bit guys video on the PE6502
I can't seem to add any links

Machine language monitor that's on its way is
Merlin 64 Macro Assembler for the Commodore 64

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 1:59 pm 

Merlin 64 requires a Commodore 64, and is not going to be much use to you without one. If you've bought an original, it'll probably be on a floppy disc, and that would need a 1541 disc drive as well. It would in theory be possible to convert it to run on another machine (once you've got it off the disc), but that's a lot of work and not a project for a beginner.

The PE6502 is this: http://putnamelectronics.com/products.html. That has Wozmon, a couple of BASICs, an assembler and a "mini-debugger" in ROM. I think it's expecting to be operated through a serial port, so you'd need a cable suitable for that.

If you don't wait until the board arrives, what do you imagine yourself doing? You can practice writing code, and stepping through it by hand to make sure it does what you expect. Or you can find a simulator and use that. But ultimately, the question of what you should be doing depends entirely on what you want to do. I don't think anyone else can answer it for you.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 3:51 pm 

Depending on where you are starting, I would recommend
https://skilldrick.github.io/easy6502/
which is an interactive tutorial you can run in your browser.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 5:55 pm 

John West wrote:
Merlin 64 requires a Commodore 64, and is not going to be much use to you without one. If you've bought an original, it'll probably be on a floppy disc, and that would need a 1541 disc drive as well. It would in theory be possible to convert it to run on another machine (once you've got it off the disc), but that's a lot of work and not a project for a beginner.

I probably should of been more clearer I already have commodore 64 and am awaiting the powersupply , I didn't realise I didn't put that into the post , the lack of sleep and to much morphine. Really screwed up the post... I just assumed it was written in perfect legible English I have now had about 3 hours of sleep and read what I posted and thought my goodness....
The PE6502 is this: http://putnamelectronics.com/products.html. That has Wozmon, a couple of BASICs, an assembler and a "mini-debugger" in ROM. I think it's expecting to be operated through a serial port, so you'd need a cable suitable for that.

If you don't wait until the board arrives, what do you imagine yourself doing? You can practice writing code, and stepping through it by hand to make sure it does what you expect. Or you can find a simulator and use that. But ultimately, the question of what you should be doing depends entirely on what you want to do. I don't think anyone else can answer it for you.