6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:21 pm 

The WDC 65C265 is a sweet microprocessor, unfortunately the MENSCH breakout board sold by WDC lacks the chip select lines! I was able to add a static RAM, but without the chip select lines you are really limited in what you can. WDC sells the W65C265SXB, but it lacks a 65c22 which is what I want to pair the 65C256 with. I might be able to cobble together an address decoder to memory map a 65c22 and static RAM with my MENSCH. But that seems like a lot of unneeded work given that the 65C256 has an address decoder built into it.

In the 65816 Pseudo-SoC thread I expressed a wish that someone would design a PCB for the 65C256 that was more useful. While I have built many prototype circuits using a variety of techniques, I have never designed a PCB. But I might as well give it a try and finally learn how to do it.

In reading the schematics for the WDC boards, I think I can cut down on the parts count by using a DS1233 5V EconoReset, and possibly TTL oscillators instead of the crystals and loading capacitors. The primary IC's would be a 65C265, a static RAM, an EEPROM, and a 65c22. I would use an FTDI breakout board to communicate with my PC.

But if I were to try this, what PCB design software would be good to use? My laptop is a Windows machine.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:46 pm 

i use KiCad for designing the Schematic/PCB and Freerouting to do the routing of the PCB, mainly cause i'm lazy and autorouters are pretty good nowadays.
though as a tip, kicad has the ability to export schematics as monochrome PDFs, which i recommend doing over taking screenshots. as PDFs have infinite resolution and monochrome is better for colorblind people.

also instead of a full breakout board you could directly use a parallel to USB serial chip like the FT245R or it's cheaper brethren, the FT240X.
of course that means soldering an SMT component, but it's not that bad if you just have a regular soldering iron and one of those manual desoldering pumps.
you basically just flood all the pins with solder, heat the blob up with the iron, and then suck the excess away with the pump. (i personally find this way better than using de-soldering wick, or maybe mine is just low quality).
anyways using a seperate chip instead of the built-in UART is definitely better as that gives you more freedom for the clock source of the chip.
on the same note, i would keep the crystal oscillator and put it in a socket, so you can swap it out to test different clock speeds.

anyways good luck on this journey! seems like a fun project. i might attempt something like this myself

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:07 pm 

Martin_H wrote:
But if I were to try this, what PCB design software would be good to use? My laptop is a Windows machine.

From the "custom PC boards" chapter of the 6502 primer:

There are so many, many CADs out there that it's impossible to be familiar with more than a tiny fraction of them, which makes it just a tad difficult to recommend one.  What works fine for one person may not be very good for another.  According to this Hackaday article from a week and a half ago, Eagle is gone now.  There's quite a volume of discussion comments after the article, some of which might be helpful.  Don't be afraid to spend time reading those and other resources, because it'll take a lot of time to get proficient with any one CAD package and make whatever custom components you may need that aren't in the standard libraries, so you won't want to just hop around trying a lot of them.  I myself use an old version of Easy PC Pro for reasons that are good for me in my situation, but it's definitely not appropriate for someone who's just starting into CAD.  If I can think of a suitable topic we've had on PCB CADs, I'll come back and add the link, assuming I can find it (or maybe someone will beat me to it).

Quote:
of course that means soldering an SMT component, but it's not that bad if you just have a regular soldering iron and one of those manual desoldering pumps.
you basically just flood all the pins with solder, heat the blob up with the iron, and then suck the excess away with the pump. (i personally find this way better than using de-soldering wick, or maybe mine is just low quality).

I don't even use a desoldering pump.  I describe my no-special-tools method at viewtopic.php?p=48875#p48875 .  See also the picture two posts above it, plus more description and pictures at https://bradsprojects.com/forum/viewtop ... 7231#p7231 .

The thing that's impressive about autorouters is the time they can save.  Otherwise note that they are nowhere near as smart as a human.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:26 am 

I, too, recommend Kicad. Its free, its good, what's not to like?

Plus, you can take advantage of my 6502 Kicad Library for all your WDC chip schematic needs.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:27 am 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
Eagle is gone now. 

Gone or not I still have a perpetual hobbyist and small board license and version 7 for Linux. Not that I have much remaining on Eagle, but I do have some stuff and it annoyed the hell out of me when Autodesk bought it and decided rental was good for me.

These days I like very much Kicad, and work just licensed me for Altium; I'm not sure how much I take to it yet but I won't be using it for hobby stuff.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of autorouters; I prefer to lay out by hand.

Neil

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:08 pm 

@All, thanks for the replies. It sounds like Kicad is the way to go. I will try it and post an update for further feedback and questions.

@Alarm Siren, the 6502 Kicad library sounds incredibly helpful.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:57 pm 

Martin_H wrote:
@All, thanks for the replies. It sounds like Kicad is the way to go.
Also throwing my hat in the Kicad ring. And mangling a metaphor.

Specifically I like Kicad 6. It's a huge step up from the old Kicad 5. However the auto-router has been completely removed in version 6 - and I think that's fine because it was kinda dated and iffy anyway. I'm not a fan of auto-routers either. One day I hope there will be a competent one but we're not there yet. And routing isn't hard. I route horizontal traces on the front and vertical traces on the back. It's a style I find I can do quickly and mechanically. I find the hard part is in placing components to allow for easy routing.

Attachment:
X.png
X.png [ 874.12 KiB | Viewed 814 times ]
To put it in perspective that PCB probably took about four hours from start to finish. I doubt that's impressive for a professional (well, I know it's not from having watched YouTube videos) but I think that's a good time for a hobbyist. And only about a third of that time was trace routing. The majority was placing components; a bit of board setup (and clean up); and footprint fixing. I'll happily spend an entire weekend on a coding problem - an afternoon on a PCB seems okay. And I have something tangible at the end.

Designing the schematic on the other hand... that takes me ages. And is something I whinge about quite often.

I'm also doing a bit of a completely unrelated experiment to see if the colours I've picked in the image are visible to everyone without having to include a black and white version. According to a vision simulator they should be but ... I'm not sure.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:35 pm 

AndrewP wrote:
Also throwing my hat in the Kicad ring...However the auto-router has been completely removed in version 6 - and I think that's fine because it was kinda dated and iffy anyway.

I've been designing PCBs for some 40 years and can’t recall ever having used autorouting. I started back when we did layouts on an actual drafting table and then used xerography to transfer the layout to the photo-resist on the blank board. You youngsters have it easy with this fancy PCB drafting software and nice folks like JLCPCB. :D

I’m still using EPCB’s software and converting the output files to Gerbers. Their PCB software doesn’t have all the bells and whistles of the high-end (aka overpriced) stuff, but that’s no loss to me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:03 am 

AndrewP wrote:
I'm not a fan of auto-routers either.

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
I've been designing PCBs for some 40 years and can’t recall ever having used autorouting.

I have only ever used an auto-router once, and that was as part of my university course when we were specifically being taught how to use an auto-router. I found it such a pain to set up and actually use, it would be quicker to do the routing manually. I've never gone back.

AndrewP wrote:
And routing isn't hard. I route horizontal traces on the front and vertical traces on the back. It's a style I find I can do quickly and mechanically. I find the hard part is in placing components to allow for easy routing.

I agree, and this is also the style I try to go for - though depending how dense the design is it can be a challenge to keep it strictly H/V per side.

AndrewP wrote:
However the auto-router has been completely removed in version 6 - and I think that's fine because it was kinda dated and iffy anyway.

KiCad 6-7 does support an auto-router as an optional extra, you can download it from the Package & Content Manager (bottom button on the main menu). If you've never looked in the PCM before, which wouldn't surprise me as I only recently discovered it myself, I'd recommend having a gander - there's some good stuff in there.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:49 am 

Alarm Siren wrote:
AndrewP wrote:
I'm not a fan of auto-routers either.

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
I've been designing PCBs for some 40 years and can’t recall ever having used autorouting.

[...] I found it such a pain to set up and actually use, it would be quicker to do the routing manually. I've never gone back.

I pretty much exclusively use an autorouter for my PCBs (with some manual tidying up afterwards). Exception being really simple boards like breakout boards.

What kind of autorouter did you use that took wo much effort to setup/use?
For me the process is just:
  • export spectra session from Kicad
  • import it into freerouting
  • optionally adjust settings like preferred trace direction (default settings are usually good enough though)
  • click "autorouter" and wait for it to finish
  • export the session from freerouting
  • and finally import it back into Kicad

I think freerouting does exist as a plugin for Kicad, which would do most of those steps automatically so it becomes even simpler to use.

Obviously if someone uses an autorouter or not is a personal choice.
No one's gonna force anyone to use an autorouter and no one's gonna be ridiculed for using one either.

Though I would recommend you to start with routing PCBs manually, to learn it and get a feeling for it.

On another note, you could put a few SPI-10 connectors on the board to allow for simple SPI based modules to be plugged in.
Obviously the actual SPI interface would have to be done in software through some GPIO pins, but it would still be useful to have a few connectors like that available.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:00 pm 

Proxy wrote:
What kind of autorouter did you use that took wo much effort to setup/use?

I dunno what it was called, its whatever came with Siemens PADS Layout, which was the tool in use by the university at the time - they subsequently switched to EAGLE against my advice (I tried to convince them to use KiCad).

to be fair, part of the problem might have been that they had intentionally disabled it so that students wouldn't use it normally, so we had to jump through hoops to re-enable it. Nevertheless I do not remember it being worth the effort, and the result was decidedly subpar anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:33 pm 

I use the stareatit router in my work. I stare at it and then start drawing traces. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:52 pm 

Takes me back to the days of red and blue pencils on tracing paper to do the routing, then stick-down black tape to lay the traces, then photoreduce, and then hopefully you didn't have to do it again.

(Eee, when I were a lad if you wanted autorouting first you had to design the computer to do it with, and then write the code... red and blue pencils were quicker!)

Neil

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:52 pm 

barnacle wrote:
Takes me back to the days of red and blue pencils on tracing paper to do the routing, then stick-down black tape to lay the traces, then photoreduce, and then hopefully you didn't have to do it again.

I still have some of that stuff here, 4x actual size, which I should take pictures of to show to the young'ns.  I threw out a box of the Bishop Graphics crepe tape and stickers for ICs, pads, etc. just a few years ago, after it collected dust for 30 years.  These were the stickers we'd put down on large, dimensionally stable Mylar films, with indexing gizmos that held the layers in alignment while you work, sometimes on a light table.

My first exposure to autorouters was at my last job where we made the mistake of making our entry into CAD by choosing OrCAD.  It had more bugs than an ant hill, and we got updates every few days, supposedly to fix the bugs we reported in pages and pages of bug reports, but it seemed like they would cause two new ones for each one they fixed.  Its autorouter also, even when it was supposed to connect two adjacent pins of an IC where there was no trace running in between, would take off in exactly the wrong direction, wander around for a while, then say basically, "You can't get there from here."  It needed a ton of manual help.  Then we'd plot the layers with a pen plotter, an HP7075A IIRC, and drive them to the graphic-arts place for reduction to actual size, then drive the films to the board house.

However, most of my work layout requirements have been to get things super dense, and no autorouter would do the job, particularly since it's mostly analog with a lot of discretes, partly because you have to place the parts while routing, rather than sprinkle the parts in and then sic the router on it.  I give an example from when it was all thru-hole, 3/4 of the way down the page at http://wilsonminesco.com/6502primer/CustomPCB.html where I show how I have up to 11 resistors and diodes under each 14-pin IC, staggered in five rows.  Assembly requires putting the discretes down first, and then putting the ICs over the top of them, on the same side of the board.

At the company I've been with since fall 1992, we had outside people do our layouts, but we couldn't get the density we needed from them.  The boss asked me to choose a CAD and they'd buy it for me; so I evaluated a lot of demos, and my first choice was, IIRC, MaxiPC which was something like $1800, and my second choice was EasyPC Pro which was only $375, from Number One Systems in England.  The fledgling company was pretty tight on money, so they got me the latter.  That one initially had a lot of bugs too, but I and one other intensive user in the US documented them all, and Number One Systems was very responsive and fixed them.  There's still one bug I have to watch out for that wasn't caught early on because it rarely shows up, but I know how to get around it.  I quit taking updates when they were adding features I didn't need while at the same time making some of the original features harder to access.  I'm still using that CAD, and have my templates for quickly converting RS-274D gerber files to the newer RS-274X which all the board houses want now (and reduces the requirement for so much human CAM time and attention), and the newer Excellon drill-file type, and for doing things this CAD was not designed to do, like shaving pads, splitting planes (or even making planes at all), and more.  One thing it can supposedly do however which I've never done is blind and buried vias.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:36 am 

I started with manual routing in early 1980's with Racal Redac's Maxi workstation (expensive! >$100K) but once I had decent autorouter such as Cooper & Chyan router, I don't do manual routing anymore. The schematic/PCB tools (WinDraft & WinBoard by Ivex) I currently use were inexpensive tool for small business but does have Specctra router (aka Cooper Chyan). Ivex went out of business in early 2000's and I haven't updated it for 20 years but I still use it to design every boards and autoroute pretty much all of them. The software are buggy but not updating for 20 years means I know just about every bugs and how to work around them. For through-hole components on 100mmX100mm board and JLCPCB design rules, the Specctra router can 100% complete in 2 layer even with components placed shoulder-to-shoulder. Here are a couple examples.
Bill

Attachments:
tiny302pcb_all_led.jpg
tiny302pcb_all_led.jpg [ 82.49 KiB | Viewed 641 times ]
Tiny020.jpg
Tiny020.jpg [ 135.89 KiB | Viewed 641 times ]