6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: What is Forth?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:12 am 

An insight I had while talking to Sam about what to do with negative values for ALLOT: One thing that takes getting used to about Forth is that even though there is a standard, it's very rough around the edges and certainly not complete. For instance, if you "negative allot" (release) too much memory, obviously you are going to trash something at some point. The standard (https://forth-standard.org/standard/core/ALLOT) has nothing to say about this, and in fact, where there should be a test for this case, it says
Code:
( MISSING TEST: NEGATIVE ALLOT )
I think there are two main reasons for this. One, there was always some resistance to the idea of standardization, and the ANSI people have kept all kinds of areas where the application gets to do what it thinks best. In other words, the standard is intentionally lose because a strict version would not be tolerated. Two, since there is no traditional lexer and parser, nobody is forced to sit down and create a complete context free grammar and whatnot for the language.

It certainly takes getting used to.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:38 pm 

Specifically to the issue with ALLOT, the C Standard cleverly avoids the problem entirely by specifying the size parameter to be of type size_t, which is unsigned.

The specification seems pretty clear:
Quote:
If n is greater than zero, reserve n address units of data space. If n is less than zero, release | n | address units of data space. If n is zero, leave the data-space pointer unchanged.

They also have this caveat (not mentioned in ALLOT):
Quote:
An ambiguous condition exists if deallocated memory contains definitions.

They go into reasonable detail about the behavior of ALLOT and what Contiguous Data Regions are, and their limitations. The "ambiguous condition" mentioned seems to cover a lot of ground as to what happens with over zealous use of negative ALLOT.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:11 pm 

Brad R wrote:
Is your Forth going to be a commercial product, or published for anyone to use? If the latter, the CamelForth source code is published under GPL v3, so you're free to adapt it, or use it as is, for another open-source project. And no, you're not stepping out of bounds to ask. (Incidentally, it's best to adapt the MSP430 source, as it has the latest fixes.)

I'd like to ask, since you've been through this licensing thing, GPL or LGPL?
How did you release Camel Forth under the GPL? Attach a copy of the license with the source code? Have a message on bootup?
... released under GPLv3 ...
How would the proceedure(s) have been different if using the LGPL?
There've been discussions on the General Discussions forum under 'Copyright considerations', but I must admit to still being uncertain about which license and a little wary of the whole licensing thing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:09 pm 

whartung wrote:
Specifically to the issue with ALLOT, the C Standard cleverly avoids the problem entirely by specifying the size parameter to be of type size_t, which is unsigned.

Any of the Forth standards could have specified that an error condition exists ( with the possibility of ALLOT aborting or, in the new standard, throwing an exception) if the parameter for ALLOT is negative. I don't think any of them did and I'm glad. I have on occasion used a negative value with ALLOT , but then Fleet Forth is a Forth-83 standard Forth.
Quote:
The specification seems pretty clear:
Quote:
If n is greater than zero, reserve n address units of data space. If n is less than zero, release | n | address units of data space. If n is zero, leave the data-space pointer unchanged.

They also have this caveat (not mentioned in ALLOT):
Quote:
An ambiguous condition exists if deallocated memory contains definitions.

They go into reasonable detail about the behavior of ALLOT and what Contiguous Data Regions are, and their limitations. The "ambiguous condition" mentioned seems to cover a lot of ground as to what happens with over zealous use of negative ALLOT.

Like all of the memory manipulation words in Forth ( ! C! CMOVE CMOVE> MOVE for example ) , it is the programmer's responsibility to use ALLOT carefully.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:22 pm 

scotws wrote:
An insight I had while talking to Sam about what to do with negative values for ALLOT: One thing that takes getting used to about Forth is that even though there is a standard, it's very rough around the edges and certainly not complete. For instance, if you "negative allot" (release) too much memory, obviously you are going to trash something at some point. The standard (https://forth-standard.org/standard/core/ALLOT) has nothing to say about this, ...

The thing to bear in mind here is that it is a communication standard, not an implementation standard. It is, indeed, an effort to allow different implementations to communicate.

So how much "negative allotting" you can do in any given implementation is something that the implementation can specify with precision ... but standard source cannot assume as much as a specific implementation assumes, since the point of standard source is to run on different implementations.

One ALLOT might just adjust a codespace pointer, another one might adjust the pointer to the last dictionary entry if you use a negative ALLOT to release space that contained a definition. The first one does not permit unalloting to forget a dictionary entry, the other one may well USE unallotting as the mechanism to release a dictionary entry. But source that respects the restrictions will run correctly on both.

There seem to be a handful of actual rough edges, but much of what looks like being "rough around the edges" is where boundary where different implementations are allowed to do things differently.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:11 pm 

I was just looking at Sam's video. I have one suggestion. He did a bunch of return stack fiddling that would be difficult for many to grasp. Much of that section could have been cleaner with a CREATE ... DOES> ... ;
This would have been a little more instructive.
I also find it easier to maintain code when I pass flags. It is not as compact but I prefer to not fiddle too much with the return stack.
His programming style is otherwise quite good and it is clearly readable, even if one does not fully understand what he is doing without knowledge of the language. For a beginner in Forth I'd recommend looking at what he has done with the thought that "I don't fully get what he is doing" but instead look at is as "wow, things seem so malleable, I should try to use experiments and enhancing, as he had done to create a more complex final project". As a beginner, play with Forth for a while, every now and then, go back look at his youtube again. Critique parts of what he is doing and think about different ways of handling problems.
Another critique I have is his redefining of 'open'. Unless one realized that he made completely different effects, later use would require more debugging.
All in all, the code was compact in source so that one could easily follow the structure. There was the complaint about his use of global variables but one was to realize that by using his mark method, he was using a way of enclosing the scope of the global words. It is not how I would have done it. Although, many, including Chuck Moore don't care for vocabularies, I find them quite useful in maintaining scope. They can even be used for a more sane object methods of thinking and containing a complicated project in order.
But to each his own.
Dwight

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:27 am 

Yesterday (Sat, Mar 13, 2021) the facebook group "Forth2020 Users-Group" had a Zoom meeting with Leo Brodie, the author of "Starting Forth" and "Thinking Forth" which you can watch at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--IJEl6HV2k .  At about 1:26:30, one of the participants says that Forth is the future of robots in space, because of its incremental compilation.  He works in this field, and says it's a huge problem if, for example, you have a very slow link to your spacecraft (because it's so many hundreds of millions of miles away and the signal is so weak when it reaches its destination) and you have to feed it some update code in C and you have a quarter of a gigabyte, whereas in Forth you might be able to get away with only a hundred bytes, because it's not necessary to re-compile anything.

Leo said in the meeting that Chuck Moore was not interested in how others did things.  He wanted what worked best for what he needed, solving one problem at a time.  He said you should do whatever you want, which is what Forth is good at.  His quote was "What is the best way to do this for me?"  Free thinkers.  Someone in the video (I don't remember who) said that you don't really program in Forth, but instead use it to write a language that does what you want.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:38 am 

As I was getting rid of a collection of Midnight Engineering magazines (and looking again at what's there so I'd keep anything important), I came across this article again from the Mar/Apr '92 issue, so I scanned it and attached it here.  It tells how Chuck Moore, initially as a software consultant, lamented how bad the software tools and development situation was in the 60's, and started developing what eventually became Forth, then, along with Elizabeth Rather, formed Forth, Inc., then later went on to design Forth chips.

Here's a notable excerpt:

Forth, Inc. had a novel approach to software maintenance.  "We didn't have software maintenance contracts," Chuck notes.  "We taught their programmers how to maintain the software, then cut the strings."  He recalls that most of the programmers they taught ended up enjoying the language, though some had to be dragged "kicking and screaming" to learn Forth.

"After they learned how to use the language, they were delighted with how easy it was to use and what they could do with the language," Chuck says. "The programmers liked Forth because they could do anything they wanted with the language, and their system had much higher performance.  Management like Forth because they got results on-time and on-budget."

And another, from when he made his first Forth processor, ie, a microprocessor whose machine language instructions were Forth primitives:

"The 1983 Novix chip ran at 8 MIPS; it was the fastest chip in the world, running the fastest language in the world...unbeatable."

I left the ads in since sometimes it's fun to see the products and prices of 30 years ago.

Attachments:
ChuckMooreForthMEmar-apr92.pdf [2.88 MiB]
Downloaded 153 times

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:56 pm 

larsbrinkhoff wrote:
nyef wrote:
There's probably an opening here for a discussion of metacompilation approaches and techniques, but that should probably be a separate thread if anyone is interested.

I'm very interested.

The member here who seems to be most involved in that is JimBoyd, who has topics on his FleetForth metacompiler for the C64.  He really knows his stuff.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10