6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 4:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Gforth on 6502
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:49 pm 

I managed to hack Gforth 0.6.2 to generate a .fi file for a 6502 kernel.
Can anyone figure out how to make that run on the 6502?

---
"OK, let's see, A0 on the 6502 goes to the ROM. Now where was that reset vector?"

Post subject: Re: Gforth on 6502
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:55 pm 

asmlang_6 wrote:
I managed to hack Gforth 0.6.2 to generate a .fi file for a 6502 kernel.
Can anyone figure out how to make that run on the 6502?

And it actually FIT? I'm impressed. I suspect it would be a matter of just loading it into memory, taking care of whatever relocations it provides, and then proceeding to execute it. Is the .fi format not documented in the gforth info files?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:46 pm 

kc5tja wrote:
Is the .fi format not documented in the gforth info files?

Not in the info files, but if you look in the file engine/main.c, in a comment in the image loading routine you will find terse (IMO) documentation of the format. I couldn't figure it out.
Oh, and what do you mean by "FIT"?

---
"OK, let's see, A0 on the 6502 goes to the ROM. Now where was that reset vector?"

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:14 am 

asmlang_6 wrote:
kc5tja wrote:
Is the .fi format not documented in the gforth info files?

Not in the info files, but if you look in the file engine/main.c, in a comment in the image loading routine you will find terse (IMO) documentation of the format. I couldn't figure it out.
Oh, and what do you mean by "FIT"?

Well, the .fi files on my box are about 128K to 256K in size. That's larger than the 6502's address space, let alone having enough room for the user dictionary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:54 am 

It was 20K. Oh, and I think this isn't a normal .fi file. It's a flat-binary 6502 file.

---

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:44 am 

asmlang_6 wrote:
It was 20K. Oh, and I think this isn't a normal .fi file. It's a flat-binary 6502 file.

Gotcha. I'll have to check it out! I wonder how easy it would be to make it run in a 65816 environment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:42 am 

kc5tja wrote:
Gotcha. I'll have to check it out!

It won't work on Gforth out of the box. I had to modify it to generate the kernel. Here's a patch generated with GNU diff (diff -Naur gforth-0.6.2 gforth-0.6.2.~1~):

Code:
diff -Naur gforth-0.6.2/arch/6502/prim.fs gforth-0.6.2.~1~/arch/6502/prim.fs
--- gforth-0.6.2/arch/6502/prim.fs      2005-07-25 15:25:59.000000000 -1000
+++ gforth-0.6.2.~1~/arch/6502/prim.fs  2005-07-25 15:34:10.000000000 -1000
@@ -1062,6 +1062,23 @@
 5 $:   >IN             STY,
                        Next,
 end-code
+
+\ 16jun05sl  make this resolved
+code (bye) ( -- )
+1 $:                   NOP,
+       1 #.            LDA,
+       1 #.            CMP,
+       1 $             BEQ,    \ loop back to 1 $
+                       Next,   \ not reached
+end-code
+
+: sgn ( n -- -1/0/1 )
+ dup 0= IF EXIT THEN  0< 2* 1+ ;
+
+: -text ( c_addr1 u c_addr2 -- n )
+ swap bounds
+ ?DO  dup c@ I c@ = WHILE  1+  LOOP  drop 0
+ ELSE  c@ I c@ - unloop  THEN  sgn ;

\ load high level primitives
 UNDEF-WORDS    include kernel/prim.fs  ALL-WORDS
diff -Naur gforth-0.6.2/cross.fs gforth-0.6.2.~1~/cross.fs
--- gforth-0.6.2/cross.fs       2005-07-25 15:27:44.000000000 -1000
+++ gforth-0.6.2.~1~/cross.fs   2005-07-25 15:34:01.000000000 -1000
@@ -1956,9 +1956,9 @@
    \ definition with the same name
    over undefined? 0= IF  exists EXIT THEN
    (resolve)
-   IF cr ." No forward references allowed on: " .ghost cr
-      -1 ABORT" Illegal forward reference"
-   THEN
+\   IF cr ." No forward references allowed on: " .ghost cr
+\      -1 ABORT" Illegal forward reference"
+\   THEN
    drop ;

\ gexecute ghost,                                      01nov92py

Apply that patch to Gforth 0.6.2, type `make kernl-6502.fi', and you should have a 6502 kernel.

---

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:47 am 

I don't know if the `kernl-6502.fi' is a regular 6502 flat-binary file. The beginning of the file disassembles to:

BRK
BRK

But it isn't a Gforth image. Anybody know what it might be?

---

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:49 am 

It is kind of ironic that GNU complains about things like the Word file format not being openly documented, and then their own file formats and other internals (elisp byte code comes to mind) are rather lightly documented. Anyway, if you have a utility that can deal with raw data files (the DOS utility DEBUG will do), you can look for the start of the object code that prim.fs generates, which along with the GForth source code, may be helpful when trying to decipher the header / relocation information. On the other hand, it might be easier to generate a hex/ASCII dump (e.g. with a perl script) and use a text editor.

I'm not sure how it handles relocating absolute addresses, but I would guess that zero page addresses are probably not relocated. So, the IP 1+ STA, 6C #. LDA, W 1- STA, just before LABEL "Next" should be (in hex) 85 11 A9 6C 85 12, since IP is EQU'd to $10 and W is EQU'd to $13 (I haven't used GForth in a long time, so I'm looking at Gforth 5.0 here). Or you could look for a sequence that doesn't depend on absolute or zero page addressing like E8 E8 E8 E8 (C! is one of the primitives that has four consecutive INX instructions).

Once you figure out where the primitives are, you can look at how it handles absolute addresses like the 1 $ JMP, in CMOVE. Then you can look at a couple of short colon definitions that were cross-compiled to see what those addresses look like. From all that you may be able to get some idea of the format of whatever header/relocation information there might be and what sort of relocation is needed.

I realize this is quite a bit of detective work, so good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:29 pm 

As I understand it, the GForth for x86 platforms handle relocation by including *two copies* of the same binary image, which are loaded at "different" addresses. The idea is that constants will be the same in both images, but absolute addresses in each will differ. So by stepping through the image and comparing every byte, you can find offsets to relocate.

I am pretty confident that this only works well if you have a constant-sized offset field to relocate, and with both zero-page and absolute addresses needing relocation, I'm not sure how valid this technique would be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:14 am 

It actually relocates zero page references? Based on a quick look at prim.fs, things like the data stack, N, W, etc. are on the zero page. It doesn't seem unreasonable to have to make a new image if the zero page usage is changed. Okay, so it's not quite the same thing, but I would say it is somewhat analogous to (processor) register usage in that it's not necessarily something that a relocator would be expected to handle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:03 am 

dclxvi wrote:
It is kind of ironic that GNU complains about things like the Word file format not being openly documented, and then their own file formats and other internals (elisp byte code comes to mind) are rather lightly documented. Anyway, if you have a utility that can deal with raw data files (the DOS utility DEBUG will do), you can look for the start of the object code that prim.fs generates, which along with the GForth source code, may be helpful when trying to decipher the header / relocation information. On the other hand, it might be easier to generate a hex/ASCII dump (e.g. with a perl script) and use a text editor.

Only problem is that this isn't a Gforth image file. It dosen't have the Gforth magic number.

---

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:17 pm 

Hi,

I've also played with GForth EC last night (without knowing about this thread) and managed to generate a 6502 Gforth (I have used an older GForth Version, "gforth-gdfreeze-ec").

It seems that you don't need to patch Gforth to get rid of the "forward reference" errors, you need to define the Constant "NIL" in mach.fs.

Here is the mach.fs I'm using. The kernel looks good in disassembly, it's 27 KB in size and is currently loading in my Replica 1 board (so I can tell in a few hours if it is working).

Code:
    2 Constant cell
    1 Constant cell<<
    4 Constant cell>bit
    8 Constant bits/char
    8 Constant float
    2 Constant /maxalign
false Constant bigendian
( true=big, false=little )

false Constant NIL

\ feature list

: prims-include  ." Include primitives" cr s" arch/6502/prim.fs" included ;
: asm-include    ." Include assembler" cr s" arch/6502/asm.fs" included ;
: >boot ;

>ENVIRON
false Constant file      \ controls the presence of the
            \ file access wordset
false Constant OS      \ flag to indicate a operating system

false Constant prims      \ true: primitives are c-code

false Constant floating      \ floating point wordset is present

false Constant glocals      \ gforth locals are present
            \ will be loaded
false Constant dcomps      \ double number comparisons

false Constant hash      \ hashing primitives are loaded/present

false Constant xconds      \ used together with glocals,
            \ special conditionals supporting gforths'
            \ local variables
false Constant header      \ save a header information

true SetValue ec
true SetValue crlf
\ true SetValue rom

cell 2 = [IF] 32 [ELSE] 256 [THEN] KB Constant kernel-size                                                                                                                   

16 KB           Constant stack-size                                                                                                                                           
15 KB 512 +     Constant fstack-size                                                                                                                                         
15 KB           Constant rstack-size                                                                                                                                         
14 KB 512 +     Constant lstack-size       

Regards

Carsten

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:42 pm 

If you want to set the startaddress and endaddress of the 6502 Kernel, put this inside "prim.fs"

Code:
unlock                                                                                                                                                                       
 $2000 $f000 region dictionary                                                                                                                                               
 setup-target                                                                                                                                                                 
lock         

before the start of the kernen "0 Constant BOT-"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:43 pm 

By the way, for anyone using an NMOS 6502, I noticed a few LDA (zp) instructions in prim.fs, and although it does use aligned addresses, you might want to double check that the JMP (abs) bug won't occur.