6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:11 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:56 pm 

I wanted to try Forth on the Commodore 64 when I put VICE, the Commodore simulator, on my Linux box. I wanted to work with the Forth I wrote for the C64, but I didn't have any of the source files, or equipment, so I began this project to reconstruct that Forth. Back then, I had two Forths for the C64. 64Forth was a superset of Fig Forth. Blazin' Forth was a Forth-83 standard Forth. Dissatisfied with limitations in both and interested in metacompilation thanks to some articles in Forth Dimensions, I wrote my own metacompiler and my own Forth with the metacompiler. Back then, it didn't have a name and I only developed it to where it was sufficient for my needs (wants?). What I have today surpasses that first effort. The metacompiler was written in Blazin' Forth. Once I had a working kernel, I modified the metacompiler to work with my new Forth which I am calling Fleet Forth ( a fleet for a commodore ). I continued developing Fleet Forth on the VICE simulator using my metacompiler. I'm not quite ready to release it yet. I still need to clean up some of the source code and some things are still in a state of flux as I sand off the rough edges. In the meantime, I'd like to discuss some of the design considerations as I sand of those rough edges.
The editor is the Starting Forth editor with a few enhancements. I added the defining word XED and the words 0: through F: and 10: through 15: as aliases for A: through F: . 0: ( and the others ) read all the characters in the text stream. and move the text to the appropriate line in the current screen. LIST ( and L ) list the screen with a colon after the line number so the Commodore 64 screen editor can be used to edit the screen. I'm considering adding a feature that would require seventeen bytes. Stuff four copies of the right shift petascii code in the C64's keyboard buffer. When the return key is pressed, not only is the current line inserted into the current screen, the cursor is placed just after the space to the right of the line number colon command. I haven't had this feature long enough to see how useful it is.

Sorry, but I've got to go. My battery is running out.

cheers,
Jim
[Edit: Moved download here]
First version of Fleet Forth:
Attachment:
Fleet Forth.zip [206.3 KiB]
Downloaded 165 times

Last edited by JimBoyd on Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:01 pm 

You want to share any details about your meta compiler? How it works, what challenges you ran in to, things like that?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:31 am 

I'll cover as much as I can while my laptop's battery lasts. I don't have internet at home, so this weekend I'll write something I can post when I get to town.
One of the difficulties I ran into was a limitation in Blazin' Forth. When I wrote the metacompiler, I used blocks for virtual memory as well as source. Blocks higher than a certain number were used for virtual memory. Since the source for Fleet Forth is larger than one disk, I used drive 8 for the source ( and had to change disks to finish ) and drive 9 for virtual memory. Now I use the REU ( ram expansion unit ) for virtual memory. The problem with Blazin' Forth was that its word to open a disk for block access would only use drive 8. I had to write a new disk opening word so I could open drive 9 for block access. I also had to write a new (R/W), the disk access word, which would close the currently open drive and open the other, depending on block number, and call the original (R/W). Offhand I don't recall how much trouble this gave me. I do remember that constantly opening and closing files on the drives slowed things down.
Fleet Forth's word for accessing disk drives is DR/W and It's word for accessing the REU is RR/W. Both are defered. Here is the source for R/W, the word which calls the others:
Code:
// R/W
HEX
//  R/W FLAG  0 WRITE 1 READ
CODE R/W  ( ADR BLK R/WF CNT -- )
   BEGIN,
      SEC,
      5 ,X LDA,  10 # SBC,
   CS WHILE,
      5 ,X STA,
      INY,  5 # CPY,
   0= UNTIL,
      >FORTH  RR/W EXIT
      >ASSEM
   THEN,
   DRB STY,
   >FORTH  DR/W ;

Here is a table of which device is accessed depending on block number:
Code:
Block access
+---------------+----------+--------+----------------+----------------------+
|  Range of     | Device   | Access | Block range    | Notes                |
|  blocks       |          | word   | seen by device |                      |
+---------------+------------+----- --+----------------+--------------------+
| $0000 - $0FFF | drive 8  | DR/W   | 0000 - $0FFF   | Actual disk drive    |
| $1000 - $1FFF | drive 9  | DR/W   | 0000 - $0FFF   | block ranges limited |
| $2000 - $2FFF | drive 10 | DR/W   | 0000 - $0FFF   | by drive capacity    |
| $3000 - $3FFF | drive 11 | DR/W   | 0000 - $0FFF   |                      |
| $4000 - $4FFF | drive 12 | DR/W   | 0000 - $0FFF   |______________________|
| $5000 - $FFFF |   REU    | RR/W   | 0000 - $AFFF   | REU max capacity     |
|               |          |        |                | is 4000 blocks       |
+---------------+----------+--------+----------------+----------------------+

This allows me to have multiple drives open for block access simultaneously. Each drive gets a different command channel logical file number and a different data channel logical file number. I also have access to the REU for blocks.

Another problem I ran into was with compiler words like IF, ELSE, THEN, LITERAL, etc. Not the versions that get compiled into the new kernel, the versions the metacompiler uses. The problem was how to define IF to compile the target kernels address of ?BRANCH into the target when the address isn't known yet. The first solution I tried was to define the metacompiler versions of the compiler words after the needed primitives were compiled to the target. I never did get that to work. The solution I went with was to define VALUES for the metacompiler that would abort with a message if called with a value of zero. The metacompiler version of IF became:
Code:
: IF  ( -- ADR CS )
   '?BRANCH ,-T
   >MARK ; IMMEDIATE

'?BRANCH is the VALUE that holds the address of ?BRANCH in the target. ,-T is the metacompiler version of , and that is the metacompiler version of >MARK. The source of a word like ?BRANCH would conclude with a line like
Code:
' ?BRANCH TIS '?BRANCH

In the host Forth vocabulary, TIS is:
Code:
: TIS  ( -- )
   CR 4 U.R SPACE
   BL WORD COUNT TYPE
   SPACE ; IMMEDIATE

but in the metavocabulary it is:
Code:
// TIS IS
HEX
: TIS  ( N -- )
   ' DUP @ TARGET-WORD-CF =
   IF
      >BODY @ >BODY-T !-T
   ELSE
      >BODY !
   THEN ; IMMEDIATE
: IS  ( C: -- ) ( I: N -- )
   STATE @ IF
      '(IS) ,-T
   ELSE
      [COMPILE] TIS
   THEN ; IMMEDIATE

When metacompiling, TIS stores the number on the stack into the correct location in virtual memory for a target word yet stores the number in the parameter field of a VALUE ( actually a CONSTANT ) if the word following it is not a target word.
The host version of TIS does nothing more than display the number on the stack and read in the next word in the text stream and display it. This was so I could interactively test as much as possible before metacompiling

That's all for now, low battery.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:03 pm 

Fleet Forth is an ITC Forth for the Commodore 64 and the metacompiler is built on the C64 (the C64 IS the development environment). At the time I wrote it, I was anxious to get it working so I could get on with implementing my Forth. It's been a while since I worked on the code for the metacompiler. The last time I worked on it was when I changed the link field to point to the previous words link field instead of its name field. I intend to clean up the metacompiler's source code one day when I have the time ( and some of you know how THAT goes ). The metacompiler is only advanced enough to build the kernel. It can only handle the CREATE DOES> words it knows about. Maybe one day I'll write a better metacompiler. The present one is more than adequate for allowing me to experiment with kernel design and build new kernels.
The metacompiler builds the target image in virtual memory ( blocks $5000 and up which are in the REU ) and has four new vocabularies, all in a single chain with the original FORTH vocabulary as the root vocabulary.
Metacompiler versions of words like @ ! c@ c! are defined in the main FORTH vocabulary. The metacompiler versions have a -T appended to their name ( @-T !-T C@-T C!-T and so on) except HERE. The target version of here is THERE. All of the cell versions of words to access memory ( @ ! , ) are built up from the byte versions ( C@ C! C, ) to eliminate block boundary problems.
The first new vocabulary is META. It is where all the aliases for normal forth memory access words are defined. It is also where the metacompiler version of CODE , : (colon) , CREATE , CONSTANT , VARIABLE etc are defined.
The second new vocabulary, chained to META, is SHADOW. The metacompiler supports labels and SHADOW is where the labels are defined.
The third new vocabulary is a second FORTH vocabulary chained to SHADOW. The metacompiler's version of the defining words like CODE , : (colon) , CREATE , CONSTANT , VARIABLE build a header in virtual memory and a CREATE DOES> word in the second FORTH vocabulary to keep track of what's in virtual memory. The first cell of the parameter field of each 'target word' holds the address of the word's CFA in virtual memory, the second cell holds the CFA of it's counterpart in the host (or zero if there is no counterpart in the host), and the third cell is a counter cell to keep track of how many times it was compiled (statistical data).
The fourth vocabulary is a second ASSEMBLER vocabulary for the metacompiler's assembler. It is chained to the second FORTH vocabulary. It holds the meta assembler.
If it seems having two FORTH vocabularies and two ASSEMBLER vocabularies can get confusing, there are tools to help. Two from Forth are VOCS which displays the vocabularies and ORDER which shows the search order and compilation vocabulary. Two from the metacompiler are HOST which sets the host FORTH vocabulary as search and compilation vocabulary, and TARGET which sets the second FORTH vocabulary as search and compilation vocabulary.
Code:
 OK
VOCS
FORTH
  META
    SHADOW
      FORTH
        ASSEMBLER
  EDITOR
  ASSEMBLER
 OK
HOST ORDER
CONTEXT: FORTH

CURRENT: FORTH

OK
TARGET ORDER
CONTEXT: FORTH
         SHADOW
         META
         FORTH

CURRENT: FORTH
         SHADOW
         META
         FORTH

OK
CONSOLE

The CODE words were the easiest to figure out. the metacompiler version of CODE builds the new words header in virtual memory, with the code field pointing two bytes forward, and creates the target word in the new FORTH vocabulary then invokes the meta-assembler. Colon words and all other CREATE DOES> words were trickier. Each Colon word's code field is used to make a chain in virtual memory. When : ( colon ) is defined in virtual memory, the chain is traversed backwards patching each Colon CFA in virtual memory as it goes. The other CREATE DOES> words were handled the same way.
A separate interpreter for the metacompiler was written, the meta interpreter. metacompilation normally searches the second FORTH vocabulary. When the meta interpreter finds a word in the text stream, if the state is compiling and the word is not immediate the contents of the first cell of the target word's parameter field is fetched and compiled into virtual memory. If interpreting, or if the word is immediate, the target word is executed. Target words fetch the second cell of their parameter field, abort if it's zero, otherwise execute it. When an immediate word like IF is defined in the target, the most recent IF found gets it's CFA stored in the target word IF's second cell ( not the IF built in virtual memory, the one defined in the second FORTH vocabulary on the host). The IF it will find will be the metacompiler version defined in the META vocabulary.
VARIABLEs and CONSTANTs required something extra. When a variable is defined in the source, sometimes it has an initial value stored in it. When a constant is defined in the source, sometimes it is used to define other constants. These are actions that take place while interpreting. The target word version of a variable or constant would execute the first counterpart found when it was defined. I suppose I could have defined two more types of target words, but I didn't. The metacompiler version of CONSTANT defines a constant of the same name and value in the SHADOW vocabulary before defining the constant as a target word in the second FORTH vocabulary. The metacompiler version of VARIABLE ( CREATE actually ) defines a constant in the SHADOW vocabulary that returns the virtual address of the target variables PFA. This 'shadow' of a target variable or constant gets executed when a target variable or constant is executed.
When writing/updating the source for the system loader ( which the new kernel will load ), there are two kinds of assembler constants. Those that are by design such as N XSAVE UP IP W and those that are determined as the image is built such as PUSH PUT NEXT SETUP POPTWO POP APUSH. The ones that are by design are not a problem, I know what they are. For the others, I have a word in the metacompiler that I run after metacompilation to print their values, ASSEM-CONSTANTS. Since the source for the kernel spans two disks, there are three words to help with metacompilation. START initializes everything. FINISH patches things at the end. RESUME is kind of like start but doesn't clear everything.
here is the load block for the first kernel source disk:
Code:
SCR# 1
// LOAD BLOCK FOR FLEET FORTH
HEX
// FORTH VIRTUAL MACHINE REGISTERS
HOST
 85 CONSTANT N   8D CONSTANT XSAVE
 8E CONSTANT UP  FB CONSTANT IP
 FE CONSTANT W
 92 CONSTANT DRB 96 CONSTANT DRU
// USER AREA AND TIB
334 CONSTANT UAREA
2A7 CONSTANT 'TIB
START
  UAREA IS (UAREA)
  2 0A5 MTHRU
FINISH

And here is the second:
Code:
SCR# 1
// LOAD BLOCK
HEX
FORTH DEFINITIONS
RESUME
  2  14 MTHRU  // REST OF KERNEL
FINISH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:25 am 

The Fleet Forth kernel has all of the words from the Forth-83 standard required word set, the double number word set, and a few others.
Code:
2CONSTANT 2VARIABLE
DMIN      DMAX      D=        D2/       D0=       D<        DU<
+LOOP     LOOP      ?DO       DO        WHILE     REPEAT    UNTIL
AGAIN     BEGIN     ELSE      ELIF      THEN      AHEAD     IF
<RESOLVE  >RESOLVE  <MARK     >MARK     FORTH-83            (
.(        UPDATE    FLUSH     FSAVE     FREEZE    [COMPILE] [']
ABORT"    ."        ,"        ?CHAR     LOAD      LINELOAD  COLD
EMPTY     FORGET    DOPEN     (DOS")    DCLOSE    CMD       (DR/W)
SR/W      CBP       BCMD      DOUT      T&S       D&S       DISKS
SSD       DSD       DIN       DTYPE     DEMIT     ?DISK     (?DISK)
?D        .DERR     (?D)      IOERR     SIOERR    >LF#      >LF#.B
DR#       DRIVE     SARRAY    FORTH     DEFINITIONS         
VOCABULARY          VARIABLE  DOES>     USER      CONSTANT  DEFER
-SET      ID.       :         CREATE    FREE      ;         ?CSP
?PAIRS    ABORT     QUIT      INTERPRET NUMBER    CONVERT   '
NAME      FIND      VFIND     QUERY     LITERAL   ?STACK    COMPILE
?FIND     ?COMP     (ABORT")  WHERE     WHERE?    WORD      (CHAR)
'STREAM   IORESET   $?        U.R       U.        .R        .
S>D       UD.R      UD.       (UD.)     D.R       D.        (D.)
#S        #         SIGN      HOLD      #>        <#        SPACES
SPACE     (;CODE)   ?CR       CR        [         ]         IMMEDIATE
SMUDGE    -TRAILING LATEST    C,        ,         ALLOT     PAD
HERE      KEY       SINGLE    (VALID?)  HEX       DECIMAL   PAGE
(")       (.")      CONFIGURE (IS)      L>NAME    N>LINK    BODY>
>BODY     LINK>     >LINK     NAME>     >NAME     EMPTY-BUFFERS
SAVE-BUFFERS        ERASE     BUFFER    BLOCK     >BT       R/W
MRU       LRU       #BUF      (MSAVE)   (OPEN)    (CHKOUT)  (CHKIN)
2SWAP     2ROT      BOOTCOLORS          ROFF      RON       UMAX
UMIN      MAX       MIN       */        MOD       *         NIP
/         TUCK      /MOD      */MOD     UD/MOD    UM/MOD    M*
UM*       UNDER+    COUNT     2DROP     DROP      OVER      2DUP
-ROT      ?DUP      DUP       PICK      2OVER     SWAP      ROT
TOGGLE    +!        2!        2@        C!        !         C@
@         2*        2/        D+        +         D-        -
1-        2-        1+        2+        DUP>R     R@        2R>
2>R       R>        >R        DIGIT     <>        >         <
U<        =         0<        0>        0<>       0=        OFF
ON        NOT       XOR       OR        AND       DABS      DNEGATE
ABS       NEGATE    J         I         UNLOOP    RP!       SP!
SP@       CLRCHN    CLOSE     FILL      SKIP      SCAN      DEPTH
>HERE     CMOVE     MOVE      CMOVE>    (?KEY)    EXECUTE   TRAVERSE
(EXPECT)  (QTYPE)   (TYPE)    (EMIT)    >LOWER    RR/W      DR/W
VALID?    ERR       INITIAL   QTYPE     TYPE      EMIT      EXPECT
?KEY      PAUSE     COLS      #USER     TIB       LIMIT     T/F
B/BUF     C/L       BL        3         2         VIEW      #LINE
#OUT      #TIB      SCR       CSP       CURRENT   CONTEXT   SPAN
STATE     >IN       BLK       VOC-LINK  FENCE     HLD       DPL
BASE      DP        SPMAX     RP0       SP0       1         0
FALSE     TRUE      (FIND)    NOOP      ACLOSE    ?BRANCH   BRANCH
(>ASSEM)  (>FORTH)  (+LOOP)   ROLL      ?EXIT     0EXIT     EXIT
?LEAVE    LEAVE     (?DO)     (LOOP)    (DO)      CLIT      LIT

Cheers,
Jim

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:26 am 

Fleet Forth header and vocabulary structure.
The header structure in Fleet Forth consists of an optional view field, a link field, a name field, a code field, and a parameter field. The view field is created when the variable VIEW is true. Kernel words do not have a view field. The link field of a word points to the link field of the previous word in the vocabulary. The first word in a vocabulary, any vocabulary, has its link field set to zero. The first byte of the name field has the most significant bit set high. The next two bits in the first byte are the immediate bit and the smudge bit. the least significant five bits hold the length of the name for a maximum name length of 31. each character in the name has its most significant bit set to zero except the last. The last character in the name has its most significant bit set to one. having the MSB's of the first and last bytes in the name set to one facilitates traversal of the name field by the word TRAVERSE. This means that Fleet Forth is case insensitive.
Code:
Structure of a word in the dictionary ( ALLOT shown )
+---------------+  Optional view field for user defined words
|               |     no system word has a view field

+---------------+  Link field  points to link field of previous
|     $1B9D     |              word in the dictionary     
+---------------+  Name field length/flags byte
[1]             |     High bit set for traverse
| [0]           |     Immediate bit
|   [0]_________|     Smudge bit
|     [    5    ]     Name length 0..31
+---------------+  Name field first letter
[0]             |    High bit zero
|      A        |
+---------------+
[0]             |
|      L        |
+---------------+
[0]             |
|      L        |
+---------------+
[0]             |
|      O        |
+---------------+  Name field last letter
[1]             |    High bit set for traverse
|      T        |
+---------------+  Code field
|     $2369     |
+-------------+-+  Parameter field
|               |

Vocabularies in Fleet Forth form a tree structure. The parent vocabulary of each new vocabulary is the vocabulary it is defined in.
The first cell of a vocabulary contains a pointer to the link field of the latest word in that vocabulary or zero if no words have been added to that vocabulary. The second cell of a vocabulary contains a pointer to its parent vocabulary. The Forth vocabulary's second cell holds a zero. The third cell of a vocabulary is part of the VOC-LINK chain used by FORGET.
Code:
Vocabulary structure ( new kernel's FORTH vocabulary shown )
+---------------+
|     $249A     |  Code field points to dovocabulary
+-------------+-+
|     $2F21     |  Pointer to latest name in vocabulary
+---------------+
|     $0000     |  Pointer to parent vocabulary
+---------------+
|     $0000     |  Pointer to previously defined vocabulary's 3rd cell
+---------------+       ( part of the VOC-LINK chain )

Newly created vocabulary  ( ASSEMBLER vocabulary when it was first created )
+---------------+
|     $249A     |  Code field points to dovocabulary
+-------------+-+
|     $0000     |  Pointer to latest name in vocabulary
+---------------+
|     $24C7     |  Pointer to parent vocabulary ( FORTH )
+---------------+
|     $24CB     |  Pointer to previously defined vocabulary's 3rd cell
+---------------+       ( part of the VOC-LINK chain )

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:23 pm 

Some may wonder why I wrote VOCABULARY the way I did. Since Fleet Forth has a tree-like vocabulary structure, wouldn't it have been easier to implement vocabulary like FIG-Forth with a false name in it where (FIND) , the find primitive, would race through a vocabulary, follow the false name's link field to the latest word in the parent vocabulary until the word was found or it ran out of parent vocabularies and the search failed? The reason has to do with the desired behavior. To that end, Fleet Forth has two find primitives. (FIND) searches a vocabulary and, if necessary, any parent vocabularies. VFIND only searches the given vocabulary. CREATE , Fleet Forths word used by all defining words, and FORGET use VFIND to only search the CURRENT vocabulary. It's a good idea to warn of a redefinition but with a tree structured vocabulary implemented like FIG-Forth, a warning about a redefinition will occur even if the word being redefined is in a parent vocabulary. One way to deal with this is to have a variable WARNING, like Blazin' Forth, which is used to allow or suppress warnings about redefinitions. I personally prefer to always be warned about redefinitions but, only when they occur in the CURRENT vocabulary, the one receiving new definitions.
I built a test kernel with the FIG-Forth style vocabulary structure just to see the size difference. Including WARNING and the test for it added 20 bytes, changing the definition of VOCABULARY added 6 bytes, and modifying FORGET so the CURRENT vocabulary isn't forgotten ( Fleet Forth's version only searches the CURRENT vocabulary for the word to be forgotten, so the CURRENT vocabulary is never found )added 10 more bytes for a total of 36 bytes. Eliminating VFIND and streamlining (FIND) saved 39 bytes. 3 bytes saved in the kernel. The overall system for this test build was larger. A word used by WORDS needed another 14 bytes to test for and avoid following the link to a parent vocabulary ( I feel that WORDS should *only* display the words in the CONTEXT vocabulary, not every vocabulary from it back to and including FORTH ). ORDER and VOCS would need a complete rewrite and even more code to work properly. So, not such a great savings after all.
How did having two find primitives only add 39 bytes? Simple, here is the source for (FIND) and VFIND:
Code:
SCR# 13
// (FIND)
HEX
CODE (FIND)  ( ADR VOC -- ADR2 F )
   DEY,  N 1- STY,  SEC,
   2 ,X LDA,  2 # SBC,  N 2+  STA,
   3 ,X LDA,  0 # SBC,  N 3 + STA,
   0 ,X LDY,  1 ,X LDA,
   INX,  INX,  XSAVE STX,
   BEGIN,
      N    STY,  N 4 + STY,
      N 1+ STA,  N 5 + STA,
      BEGIN,
         0 # LDY,
         N )Y LDA,  TAX,  INY,
         N )Y LDA,

SCR# 14
// (FIND)                       JAB
      0= NOT WHILE,
         N 1+ STA,  N STX,  INY,
         N )Y LDA,  N 2+ )Y EOR,
         3F # AND,
      CS-DUP 0= UNTIL, // CONTINUE
         BEGIN,
            INY,
            N )Y LDA,  N 2+ )Y EOR,
         0= NOT UNTIL,
         7F # AND,
      0= UNTIL,
         XSAVE LDX,

SCR# 15
         SEC,
         TYA,  N ADC,  0 ,X STA,
         0 # LDA,
         N 1+ ADC,  1 ,X STA,
         2 # LDY,
         N )Y LDA,  40 # AND,
         0= IF,
            LABEL PUSH.TRUE // -1
            0FF # LDA,  PHA,
            PUSH JMP,
         THEN,
         LABEL PUSH.ONE     //  1
         1 # LDA,   HERE TIS APUSH
         PHA,  0 # LDA,  PUSH JMP,
      THEN,

SCR# 16
      3 # LDY,
      N 4 + )Y LDA,
      N 1- AND,
   0= NOT WHILE,
      TAX,  DEY,
      N 4 + )Y LDA,
      TAY,  TXA,
   0= UNTIL,   // ALWAYS BRANCH
   THEN,
   XSAVE LDX,
   LABEL PUSH.FALSE         //  0
   0 # LDA,  PHA,
   PUSH JMP,
END-CODE

SCR# 82
// VFIND FIND NAME '
HEX
CODE VFIND  ( ADR VOC -- ADR2 F )
   -2 ALLOT
   ' (FIND) @ 1+ ,
END-CODE

(FIND) first decrements the Y-register, it is zero upon entering a code word, to $FF and stores it in N-1 ( one of the scratch pad locations in zero page ). VFIND is a word without a body of its own. It's code field points one byte into the body of (FIND), just past the DEY instruction therefore, a zero is stored in N-1.
(FIND)'s outer BEGIN loop handles the transition from a vocabulary to its parent, if it has one. The BEGIN loop inside that handles the search in a vocabulary. Notice that if the value stored in N-1 is $FF and the high byte of the address for the parent vocabulary is not zero, then the parent vocabulary is searched.
Since VFIND stores a zero in N-1, when the code reaches the N 1- AND, on screen 16 the result is always zero so the parent vocabulary, if there is one, is never searched by VFIND, only (FIND). (FIND) and VFIND take the address of the name to be searched for and the address of the VOCABULARY NOT the address of the latest word in the VOCABULARY. Here is the code for FIND:
Code:
: FIND  ( ADR -- ADR2 F )
   CONTEXT @ (FIND)
   ?DUP ?EXIT
   CURRENT @ VFIND ;

By the way, notice that when testing to see if the link field, or the parent vocabulary field, is a valid address or zero, only the high byte is tested.

cheers,
Jim

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:28 pm 

For reference, here is the find primitive for the test kernel with the FIG-Forth type vocabularies:
Code:
SCR# 14
HEX
   1 # LDA,  SETUP JSR,  //  SEC,
   // SETUP SETS CARRY -- SIDE EFFECT
   0 ,X LDA,  2 # SBC,  N 2+ STA,
   1 ,X LDA,  0 # SBC,  N 3 + STA,
   XSAVE STX,
   BEGIN,
      0 # LDY,
      N )Y LDA,  TAX,  INY,
      N )Y LDA,
   0= NOT WHILE,
      N 1+ STA,  N STX,  INY,

SCR# 15
      N )Y LDA,  N 2+ )Y EOR,
      3F # AND,
   CS-DUP 0= UNTIL,   // CONTINUE
      BEGIN,
         INY,
         N )Y LDA,  N 2+ )Y EOR,
      0= NOT UNTIL,
      7F # AND,
   0= UNTIL,
      XSAVE LDX,
      SEC,
      TYA,  N ADC,  0 ,X STA,
      0 # LDA,
      N 1+ ADC,  1 ,X STA,

SCR# 16
      2 # LDY,
      N )Y LDA,  40 # AND,
      0= IF,
         0FF # LDA,  PHA,
         PUSH JMP,
      THEN,
      1 # LDA,  HERE TIS APUSH
   THEN,
   XSAVE LDX,
   0 # LDA,  PHA,
   PUSH JMP,
END-CODE

Which is also the find primitive I had back when my high level FIND was more complicated ( to deal with my vocabulary structure ):
Code:
HEX
: FIND  ( ADR -- ADR2 FLAG )
   CONTEXT
   BEGIN
      @ ?DUP
   WHILE
      TUCK (FIND) ?DUP
      IF  ROT DROP EXIT  THEN
      SWAP 2+
   REPEAT
   CURRENT @ (FIND) ;

I like my present find primitives and high level FIND much better.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:11 pm 

I was wondering, given a Commodore 64 ( which means a 6510 processor and no CMOS version, sadly ) is this the fastest (FIND) or can it be made faster?
Code:
HEX
   1 # LDA,  SETUP JSR,
   // SETUP SETS CARRY -- SIDE EFFECT
   0 ,X LDA,  2 # SBC,  N 2+ STA,
   1 ,X LDA,  0 # SBC,  N 3 + STA,
   XSAVE STX,
   BEGIN,
      0 # LDY,
      N )Y LDA,  TAX,  INY,
      N )Y LDA,
   0= NOT WHILE,
      N 1+ STA,  N STX,  INY,
      N )Y LDA,  N 2+ )Y EOR,
      3F # AND,
   CS-DUP 0= UNTIL,   // CONTINUE
      BEGIN,
         INY,
         N )Y LDA,  N 2+ )Y EOR,
      0= NOT UNTIL,
      7F # AND,
   0= UNTIL,
      XSAVE LDX,
      SEC,
      TYA,  N ADC,  0 ,X STA,
      0 # LDA,
      N 1+ ADC,  1 ,X STA,
      2 # LDY,
      N )Y LDA,  40 # AND,
      0= IF,
         0FF # LDA,  PHA,
         PUSH JMP,
      THEN,
      1 # LDA,
   THEN,
   XSAVE LDX,
   0 # LDA,  PHA,
   PUSH JMP,
END-CODE

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:53 pm 

I realize my assembler's notation may be off-putting for some so I hand translated the code for the body of the find primitive. Be warned that I cannot guarantee there were no transcription errors. If the two differ, the source using postfix notation in the prior comment is correct.
Code:
    LDA #1
    JSR SETUP
    LDA 0,X         \ since link fields point to link fields
    SBC #2          \ subtract two from address of name being
    STA N+2         \ sought so the names both have offset of
    LDA 1,X         \ two
    SBC #0
    STA N+3
    STX XSAVE
MAINLOOP
    LDY #0          \ this (FIND) takes address of a vocabulary
    LDA (N),Y       \ not the address of latest entry in that vocabulary
    TAX             \ so fetch the address from vocabulary or link field
    INY
    LDA (N),Y
    BEQ NOTFOUND    \ if the hi byte is zero, so is the lo byte
    STA N+1         \ since there are no names in zero page
    STX N
    INY
    LDA (N),Y       \ compare the length
    EOR (N+2),Y
    AND #$3F
    BNE MAINLOOP    \ continue with mainloop if different
LOOP
    INY
    LDA (N),Y       \ check names letter by letter
    EOR (N+2),Y
    BEQ LOOP        \ when a difference is found
    AND #$7F        \ check if it's the high bit in dictionary entry
    BNE MAINLOOP    \ if not, back to mainloop to fetch next entry
    LDX XSAVE
    SEC             \ found it!
    TYA             \ so get code field and place on stack
    ADC N
    STA 0,X
    LDA #0
    ADC N+1
    STA 1,X
    LDY #2          \ go back to count byte in dictionary entry
    LDA (N),Y       
    AND #$40        \ and see if word is immediate
    BNE PUSH1
    LDA #$FF        \ push -1 to stack
    PHA
    JMP PUSH
PUSH1               \ push 1 to stack
    LDA #1
    PHA
    LDA #0
    JMP PUSH
NOTFOUND            \ push 0 to stack
    LDX XSAVE
    LDA #0
    PHA
    JMP PUSH

I realize my commenting style isn't the greatest. I'm working on it, so bear with me.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:40 am 

I might be able to attempt some optimization if I have access to the source for your SETUP and PUSH subroutines, especially if they differ from the 6502 fig-FORTH subroutines of the same names.

Mike B. (about me) (learning how to github)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:11 pm 

Here is the source for LIT ( which contains PUSH ) and SETUP from my kernel.
Code:
HEX
CODE LIT
   IP )Y LDA,  PHA,  IP INC,
   0= IF,  IP 1+ INC,  THEN,
   IP )Y LDA,
   LABEL IP.INC1
   IP INC,
   0= IF,  IP 1+ INC,  THEN,
   HERE TIS PUSH
   DEX,  DEX,
   HERE TIS PUT
   1 ,X STA,  PLA,  0 ,X STA,
   HERE TIS NEXT
   1 # LDY,
   IP )Y LDA,  W 1+ STA,  DEY,
   IP )Y LDA,  W    STA,  CLC,
   IP LDA,  2 # ADC,  IP STA,
   CS NOT IF,
      W 1- JMP,
   THEN,
   IP 1+ INC,
   W 1- JMP,  END-CODE

HEX
CODE CLIT
   IP )Y LDA,  PHA,  TYA,
   IP.INC1 0= BRAN,  // ALWAYS BRAN
// SETUP SETS CARRY AS SIDE EFFECT
HERE TIS SETUP
   .A ASL,  N 1- STA,
   BEGIN,
      0 ,X LDA,  N ,Y STA,
      INX,  INY,  N 1- CPY,
   0= UNTIL,
   0 # LDY,
   RTS,  END-CODE

And here are the hand translated versions.
Code:
PUSH
    DEX
    DEX
\ PUT STARTS HERE
    STA 1,X
    PLA
    STA 0,X
\ NEXT STARTS HERE
    LDY #1
    LDA (IP),Y
    STA W+1
    DEY
    LDA (IP),Y
    STA W
    CLC
    LDA IP
    ADC #2
    STA IP
    BCS INCREMENT
    JMP W-1
INCREMENT
    INC IP+1
    JMP W-1

SETUP
    ASL A
    STA N-1
LOOP
    LDA 0 ,X
    STA N,Y
    INX
    INY
    CPY N-1
    BNE LOOP
    LDY #0
    RTS

I'm not sure how SETUP and PUSH will affect the speed since they both occur outside the find loop. By the way, the version of FIND I'm currently using is the more complex one already presented in an earlier message. I've run timing tests and both versions of FIND are within a percent or two of each other speed-wise. I presented the earlier one because both versions have the same search loop ( the part that needs to be fast ) and the earlier version is less complex, therefore ( hopefully) has fewer distractions.
I've tested my FIND against Blazin' Forth's by making sure both Forths have about the same number of words in the Forth vocabulary and timing a test which searches for CLIT. My versions take about 2/3 the time.
Part of the speed difference has to do with Blazin' Forth's header structure. In Blazin' Forth, a word's link field points to the previous words name field. When searching the dictionary in Blazin' Forth, to get from one entry to the previous one, two must be subtracted from the address of the name field to get to the link field. This subtraction occurs in the find loop. By having the link field point to the previous words link field in Fleet Forth, the subtraction is performed once and it's performed on the address of the name being sought. The address-2 is stored in N+2, N+3 while the original address remains on the data stack unless the word is found, then its CFA replaces the address on the stack. This subtraction in Fleet Forth's FIND is because the name field of the word being checked has an offset of two from the address of its link field so the address of the text of the word being sought needs an offset of two from the address being used for it.
I hope this makes sense.

Cheers,
Jim

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:09 am 

I can certainly make it smaller, but I'm not yet convinced that I can make it faster. I'm going to chew on it for awhile, and see what develops.

P.S. Have you considered changing your PUSH to PUSHAY? How about moving it with NEXT to ZP (space permitting)?

Mike B. (about me) (learning how to github)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:51 pm 

barrym95838 wrote:
I can certainly make it smaller, but I'm not yet convinced that I can make it faster. I'm going to chew on it for awhile, and see what develops.

As long as it's not slower.
Quote:
P.S. Have you considered changing your PUSH to PUSHAY?

I thought about that once but I didn't want to rewrite LIT and make it slower. Another reason is the same reason I left the comma's in all those assembler words. I've heard that back in the day, Blazin' Forth was quite popular and it's not the only Forth to use PUSH. There may be a body of code out there. I don't know if it's a big body or a small body of code. In any case, I don't want to introduce incompatibilities in the assembler. As for adding PUSHAY to my system, I'd need to give it some thought. It would have to jump to NEXT so I would have to see if it was faster to push a value on the stack that way.
Quote:
How about moving it with NEXT to ZP (space permitting)?

Hmm, The C64 kernel uses most of zero page above $8F and I'd really like to keep the data and return stacks as large as possible to support multitasking since each task gets a slice of the stacks. That's why the text input buffer does not share page one with the return stack ( it's at $2A7 - $2F6 ).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:22 pm 

JimBoyd wrote:
Hmm, The C64 kernel uses most of zero page above $8F and I'd really like to keep the data and return stacks as large as possible to support multitasking since each task gets a slice of the stacks. That's why the text input buffer does not share page one with the return stack ( it's at $2A7 - $2F6 ).

If you are not using the BASIC interpreter you can take up all zero page from $02 to $8F inclusive without interference. Upon exit from the Forth kernel you will have to jump to the BASIC cold start entry point at $A000 to initialize BASIC's ZP.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next