6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:43 am 

Happy belated pi day!

My latest CS-101 Forth program computes pi using 16 bit fixed point arithmetic.
Link in github: https://github.com/Martin-H1/Forth-CS-101/blob/master/pi.fs

When run it produces this output:
Code:
pi  ok 2
.s <2> 25733 8192  ok 2

That's approximately 3.1412 which isn't half bad for 16 bits. I tested a 24 bit version and it was accurate to six decimal places. It should be possible to use a 32 bit double word arithmetic for better precision. The basic logic would remain the same. It might be a neat enhancement to perform the division and output the digits in decimal. But I will have to think that one over.

Here's the raw code if you don't want to follow the link:
Code:
\ Calculate pi using the Nilakantha infinite series. While more complicated
\ than the Leibniz formula, it is fairly easy to understand, and converges
\ on pi much more quickly.

\ The formula takes three and alternately adds and subtracts fractions with
\ a numerator of 4 and denominator that is the product of three consecutive
\ integers. So each subsequent fraction begins its set of integers with the
\ highest value used in the previous fraction.

\ Described in C syntax n starts at 2 and iterates to the desired precision.
\ pi = 3 + 4/((n)*(++n)*(++n)) - 4/((n)*(++n)*(++n)) + ...

\ Here's a three iteration example with an error slightly more than 0.0007.
\ pi = 3 + 4/(2*3*4) - 4/(4*5*6)
\        + 4/(6*7*8) - 4/(8*9*10)
\        + 4/(10*11*12) - 4/(12*13*14)
\    = 3.14088134088

\ normally this requires floating point arithmetic, but we're using fixed point
\ multiplying by a scaling factor and returned as a ratio.

1 13 lshift constant rescale
rescale 3 * constant three
rescale 4 * constant four

variable n

\ calculates (n)*(++n)*(++n)
: denominator ( -- product )
  n @ dup 1+ dup 1+ dup n ! * * ;

\ calculates a single scaled quotient term
: quotient ( -- q )
  four denominator / ;

\ calculates Qn - Qn+1
: calc_term ( -- q )
  quotient quotient - ;

\ Computes pi as a ratio of integers
: pi ( -- numerator denominator )
  2 n !
  three
  begin
    calc_term dup 0> while +
  repeat
  drop
  rescale ;

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:01 am 

Youtube threw this at me a couple of days ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPTzzSuBFlc

It calculates pi by the same mechanism (I think!) using relays...

Neil

(but on the other hand, 355 / 113 is already pi to six places: 3,14159292. How often would one need to go beyond that (it's two metres out calculating the equator!)?. I think I learned Forth's */ from Brodie using that example.)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:09 am 

barnacle wrote:
(but on the other hand, 355 / 113 is already pi to six places: 3,14159292. How often would one need to go beyond that (it's two metres out calculating the equator!)?. I think I learned Forth's */ from Brodie using that example.)

355/113 is off by only +8.5E-8.  65298/20785 is only slightly better, at -5.1E-8.  I have a bunch of rational-number approximations for use in scaled-integer operations at http://wilsonminesco.com/16bitMathTable ... pprox.html

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:02 am 

Thanks Martin that's a nice program implementing a very nice series! It's a new series for me - perhaps best described as an accelerated version of the Leibniz-Gregory series, but discovered much earlier. As often the case, discoveries made in different parts of the world took a long time to be communicated in either direction.

I gather that the same technique can yield a series which converges as the fifth power, and ultimately a series involving factorials which converges with over 13 digits gain from each term.

(The wonderful relay-based machine in the video linked in barnacle's post uses the much more recent BBP formula. I posted a Basic program over here to understand the approach better - I also posted a simplified version, perhaps it would be amusing to redo in Forth.)

Some readings:
Nilakantha's formula for pi (very very brief elaboration)
Nilakantha, Euler and pi by Shailesh A Shirali (1997), quite accessible, with references
The Discovery of the Series Formula for π by Leibniz, Gregory and Nilakantha by Ranjan Roy (1990)
Nilakantha's accelerated series for pi by David Brink (2015)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:13 pm 

barnacle wrote:
Youtube threw this at me a couple of days ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPTzzSuBFlc

It calculates pi by the same mechanism (I think!) using relays...

My first large-scale electronics project was a relay “computer,” built over 60 years ago using long-frame cradle relays and stepping relays, both scavenged from scrapped pinball machines.  To say it was noisy when operating was an understatement.  :D  It could add or subtract, but was massively incapable of computing pi.

In the video, the narrator laments about reliability.  Yet it appears he left out a key element of good relay circuit design.  None of his relays appears to have a coil flyback diode.  All that contact arcing has to be a killer, not to mention a significant source of heat.  The irony is having a flyback diode causes a relay to release more slowly, which means that his contraption would take even longer to compute pi.  :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:14 pm 

@All, thanks for the kudos. Also, the 355 / 113 approximation is one of those better than it has any right to be ways to calculate pi. Using it a PDP-8 could accurately calculate all manner of things in only 12 bits.

@barnacle, I saw that video as well, which prompted me to write this program. I intentionally used a different algorithm because I am saving the Bailey–Borwein–Plouffe formula for an assembler program. As with the relay computer, it allows much simpler arithmetic routines.

@BigEd, thanks for the links about the various series, they look like interesting reading.

@BDD, I wondered about flyback diodes. I have never used relays for digital logic, but I have used them with microcontrollers to switch higher voltages, and the circuit I copied had a flyback diode.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:09 pm 

Martin_H wrote:
@BDD, I wondered about flyback diodes. I have never used relays for digital logic, but I have used them with microcontrollers to switch higher voltages, and the circuit I copied had a flyback diode.

A flyback diode is de rigueur if a relay is being driven by a solid-state device.  Even a 5-volt relay’s coil can generate a transient of several hundred volts if not suppressed.  Needless to say, the device driving the relay won’t survive that.  :shock:

I should note that the diode’s transient current rating should be fairly high.  In most applications, I use a 1N4001, which has an IFSM rating of 30 amps over 8.3 milliseconds.  That should be more than adequate...unless your circuit is controlling traction motor contactors on a subway car.  :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:59 pm 

Martin_H wrote:
* While iterating a single cell I use multiply row * width nine times. Even on modern hardware integer multiply is about five times more costly than addition. Reusing the first multiply would be better.

Update: I realized that if row enumeration added width instead of 1 I would effectively by multiplying through addition. But only once per line, rather than nine times per cell. So I updated the code and it should be a performance boost.

You can multiply once to get the address of the center cell. Then add +-0 or width, +-0 or 1 to access adjacent cells.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:26 am 

There is a problem with the Pi calculator program on some systems.
The word "four" evaluates to a negative number on a 16 bit signed 2s complement binary system.
Changing the divide in the word "quotient" from signed to unsigned can fix this problem.

Attachments:
F_Pi5 1.zip [1.74 KiB]
Downloaded 10 times
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:52 pm 

leepivonka wrote:
There is a problem with the Pi calculator program on some systems.
The word "four" evaluates to a negative number on a 16 bit signed 2s complement binary system.
Changing the divide in the word "quotient" from signed to unsigned can fix this problem.

Thanks for the correction. I made the change and pushed it to GitHub.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6