6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 5:51 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:09 pm 

(Might be worth looking at BeebAsm too. It's not specific to Acorn machines, AFAIK. It's an assembler with a programming language, not unlike BBC Basic with the embedded assembler, which allows not only for conditional assembly but also for programmatic code generation, I think.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:44 pm 

scotws wrote:
...and a (limited) 6502 clone of the ed line-based editor.

The idea of a "limited" version of ed both frightens me and makes me laugh out loud. :-)

(I've got a special place in my heart for it; I discovered it in the early '80s and it was the first editor I really liked.)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:45 am 

"ed is the standard text editor"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:47 am 

Ed is great fun, though if you look at the source code of the GNU version, the size of it is just staggering by now for what it does. With the RISC-V gaining some real traction, I'm wondering about writing an assembler-only version with Linux system calls as a learning project, and then bragging about how small it is :-).

Cutting it down for the 6502 was also a lot of fun. It's a good experience because you have to deal with linked lists, though the interfacing with Forth is a bit of a pain because they are from two different worlds (block based vs file based). The parsing, of course, is really, really rough.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:36 pm 

scotws wrote:
Ed is great fun, though if you look at the source code of the GNU version, the size of it is just staggering by now for what it does.

Well, yeah, GNU. These are the guys who added a --read-mail option to cat. (I am only half joking here.)

Quote:
Cutting it down for the 6502 was also a lot of fun.

It would be interesting to see if one could write small 6502 version generic enough to fit into various 6502 programs. I've been using KRUSADER recently, and it would be really nice to be able to use ed commands in that "editor" (such as it is), though dealing with the tokenization it uses for assembly code would be interesting. At any rate, editors in the old 8-bit style sure make ed seem powerful!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:58 am 

have you tried the SYSMON65 https://github.com/jdimeglio/SYSMON65 :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:06 am 

jdimeglio wrote:

I'd like to try building it for my omen-bravo sbc, the ACIA is 83FCh and the VIA is 93F0h. I don't know how to compile the .65s files into a rom though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:52 pm 

hoshikawa wrote:
jdimeglio wrote:

I'd like to try building it for my omen-bravo sbc, the ACIA is 83FCh and the VIA is 93F0h. I don't know how to compile the .65s files into a rom though.

You can assemble (not compile) the source files with the Kowalski assembler/simulator, which is downloadable at 8BIT’s website—scroll to the bottom. The most recent version is here.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:44 am 

I found Tali Forth a short while ago and have it running on my SBC. SO EASY.

...but, is it me or has stopped being progressed? There seem to be no updates on Github and this thread has just tailed away... ... .. . .

Last edited by adrianhudson on Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:33 pm 

I sent Scott an email about a month ago and he never replied. I hop he's OK.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:35 pm 

Scott hasn't been online here since December 2020. That would have been while we were in the thick of it with COVID. Sure hope he wasn’t a casualty.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:55 am 

Scot's github account was last touched by him 2022.02.28, and it seems that his interests may have shifted to RISC-V. Too many pans in the fire? I know about that situation all too well ...

Mike B. (about me) (learning how to github)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:00 pm 

Scot had asked if I wanted to take the reins on Tali Forth 2 shortly after the v1.0 release. I had declined at the time because I wasn't sure where my interests would go and I was starting to try to actually USE Tali Forth 2 rather than WRITE it (which, as it turns out, can be completely different experiences). I also didn't want to "take the project away from him" - in quotes because it was how I felt about the situation at the time.

There's a pull request on Github for an actual bug fix (where the line-wraps happen in WORDS, not too critical but would be nice to fix) that Github user wkjagt created that has been there for about a month, and I'm getting the feeling that perhaps I do have enough interest (and there are enough people using Tali Forth 2) that I should take over. I'm certainly available for folks who want to give Tali2 a spin and run into any trouble. The version 1.0 is quite complete and well documented.

I'll look into getting my repository in good order and at least adding the bugfix for WORDS, and will post back here whan that's done (may take a while). There has been some work post v1.0 in porting Tali to a new assembler (complete, including documentation updates for using 64tass) which has conditional assembly. This allows the user to specify word sets they do/don't want and can reduce the size of Tali2 significantly. The plan was to switch the "master" branch over to that branch, but that hasn't happened on Scot's repository.

I'll send Scot an email about the situation and see if I can get a response. In the meantime, anyone playing around with Tali Forth 2 should know there is support available from me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:37 am 

Hi SamCoVT,

Just wanted to chime in and say, I built my last homebrew specifically to run Taliforth 2 as it's main "OS" :-)

I used the 64tass version.

My homebrew interfaces via. spi to a pico, which in turn host an sd card. The BLOCK-WRITE-VECTOR and BLOCK-READ-VECTOR's call out to some assembly routines send data to and load from the sd card.

Learning forth this way has been allot of fun, i.e. I've used Tali to handle dos type commands, ls, rm, cp, and so on, as well as to load other programs, such as an ebasic command, wozmon, A1 for the assembler, and so on.

I've also dug in enough to become interested in trying to create my own Forth at some point, well... ok I did but a very very primitive one so far.

Just wanted to share and say, yes there is interest out here, certainly on my part! :-)

https://github.com/DonaldMoran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:19 pm 

I was able to get in touch with Scot. He is doing well. He said he is writing a book on RISC-V and that he is happy to hand Tali Forth off to me to maintain. I believe the plan is that he will post a notice on his Tali Forth 2 github page to direct folks over to my github page instead - I suppose that means I should hurry up on getting my repository fully up to date and presentable.
noneya wrote:
Just wanted to chime in and say, I built my last homebrew specifically to run Taliforth 2 as it's main "OS" :-)
Thanks, Noneya, for sending a note describing how you are using TaliForth 2.

When I built my own SBC, I was looking for something where I could do programming on the board itself. I tried EhBASIC and FIG Forth, and then tried Scot's Tali Forth and found it was what I was looking for. I also use it as my "OS". I've been dabbling with interfacing CF and SD cards directly to my board and supporting FAT32. I've gotten it all mostly working, but I think I want to start over and just use FAT16. It makes so many things easier, and I can still access it from my PC as well.
noneya wrote:
I used the 64tass version.
That will be the version that any future development will be done on. It allows you to pick and choose what components you want and shrink down the ROM footprint. It sounds like you've already figured out how to mix assembly and Forth, and that's a very powerful combination.

If you want to develop your Forth more, feel free to start a thread to chronicle your journey. There's a good number of active Forth users here and I enjoy reading about other people's experiments/decisions/conclusions when they are working on their Forth.
-SamCoVT

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next