6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:41 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:15 pm 

Hello everyone,

Looking back at when I posted here last, it's been quite awhile. I built this really cool 6502 Simulation Toy program earlier this year, but things got a bit stressful and I moved onto a few other things in life, but I am highly considering coming back to this project again in the near future. I really can't believe that while working on this I completely forgot to post or make any mention of it on this forum, as I think a lot of people here might really find it interesting and potentially useful.

You can find the website I built for it here, along with a beta version available for Windows, should run on most versions, all the way from Windows 2000, as it was programmed using Lazarus/ObjectPascal which has an amazing cross-compiler which supports a ton of OSes, which is why I choose it for this project, as I wanted as many people as possible to be-able to learn how a 6502 works, assembly for it, among other stuff. http://www.hackers-edge.com/

I personally use Linux as my main OS of choice, and if you'd prefer a Linux binary version of this beta, let me know, I can get one tarballed for you to use.

The main idea behind this project was to create an "Edutainment Game", where people can learn about programming and how computers work at a very low-level. I personally find a lot of interest on low-level computing, hence why I really do enjoy working with 6502 code, and it's simulators, as I find it really enjoyable. This simulator of course goes beyond being "Edutainment", as it has quite a few unique systems in place which you might not find in any other 6502 simulator. Here is a list of some of these really fun features:

• Supports a basic serial-like console.
  • Has a memory viewer front and center.
  • Multiple simulation speed options, including as fast as it can go.
  • Has built-in code editor with full C syntax highlighting support with the ability to call either ca65 or cc65 then execute code directly.
  • Has a fun "memory card" format to make it easier to share programs around with other people.
  • Has full support for compressed saved states.
  • A scenario builder and runner is all built-in, the scenario program can control the simulator, such as importing data into memory, setting of memory addresses, pausing and running the simulated CPU, among many other interesting tasks.
  • Has an easy to use through 6502 assembly 8-segment display, is also compatible with the included cc65 library too.
  • Includes a mostly functional cc65 library to use to compile C programs with right out of the box all configured, header file `sim6502.h` for specific things like the segment display.
  • Supports and runs the extremely popular EhBASIC right of the box, no assembly required.
  • Supports the popular CFFA1 device so that you may save those amazing EhBASIC programs for later retrieval.

This is really more of a fun 6502 hobbyist project, as it has a lot of fun bells and whistles to make playing with 6502 programming fun. Anyways, let me know what all of you think of it of.