6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:04 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:41 pm 

At
http://6502.cdot.systems/
you'll find a simple in-browser emulator. It's open source and derived from Nick Skildrick's 6502js which you encounter on the easy6502 tutorial page.

Quote:
Enhancements include a speed control (slider), load/save buttons, an 80x25 character memory-mapped terminal screen, and some basic ROM routines.

There's some association with Seneca College - so that's 6502 used in an educational context - and there's a wiki page here
6502 Emulator Example Code

(Mentioned in one of wayfarer's posts and surely worth surfacing.)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:50 pm 

Hello BigEd,

Your post really caught my eye, not because of the in-browser 6502 assembler/simulator, but it's use in an educational context. The goal of a new program I've been working on has the goal of being used in an educational context, and I'd personally like to know the viability of that goal. Not sure if you are of a similar generation of me, I grew up in the 80s and 90s, and Maxis "Software Toys" as they were called at the time were everywhere in the schools. This is where I got the initial idea for my simulator, a fun 6502 computer science software toy that students and hobbyist can enjoy alike. It is currently pretty far along with my next big planned feature being an EGA compatible text framebuffer with the standard size of 80x25 which is fully memory mapped, much like the console provided in this web-based simulator. It is an exact copy of the EGA one as well, and my current implementation supports loading a video memory dump taken from say a DosBox session and I was able to seamlessly load it into my framebuffer, so I think I got it.

I have a huge passion for programming ans computer science and I'd really love to find a way into the educational market to bring this passion to many more. I highly recommend checking out the website I put together earlier this year, along with a recent post I made on the subject on this forum for some additional info, as I don't want to rewrite everything here. http://www.hackers-edge.com/

Oh, if you scroll to the bottom of each page I have there, there is a YouTube video you can watch with a full demonstration of it being used, there is a download as well, so you can also give it a shot yourself of course too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:23 pm 

That's pretty neat, Ed. Do you know of anything like this browser based emulator/simulator that also provides for cycle counting?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:11 pm 

Possibly 8bitworkshop is close to this capability, as it allows for writing chase-the-beam programs for the 2600. But at a quick glance I don't see any cycle counts made visible - perhaps I'm not looking properly. But surely it would be a small change (!)
https://8bitworkshop.com/v3.11.0/?platf ... e=sieve.c#