6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 12:22 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:45 pm 

hi everybody,
Is there a simulator similar to Eask68k with a graphical window available to the programmer for the 6502? Preferably a desktop application.

I'm sorry if this question seems silly, but there's quite a few 6502 simulators that I don't know which one(s) have something like what I'm looking for.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:16 pm 

Welcome! Have a look at http://6502.org/tools/emu/ - I'm not sure there's anything which quite fits the bill. A couple of the in-browser tools offer a GUI, but I'm not sure about applications. I think Kowalski's simulator lacks a model of video memory (I'm assuming that's what you're after.)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:17 pm 

It sounds as if you want a simulator that simulates a computer system capable of graphics. There are apple ][ and Commodore Simulators that provide color graphics. The apple used a direct memory map with some soft switches to control modes. Commodore 64's use the 6570/6571 display controller. Beyond that, many Simulators only simulate the CPU operation, not that of an entire system. The Kowalski Simulator is such a simulator. It does have some simple terminal IO (text only) to support console IO. In order to provide a color graphics display, you would have to first define how the display would interact with the memory and CPU. Then, you could add support for graphics. The source code for the Kowalski Simulator is available to build on. Keep in mind, if there is no actual hardware design for the display, your code would only work in the simulator's environment.

Daryl