6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 2:43 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:42 am 

I’m an old x86 assembler programmer, and have spent many happy hours (!) tracing through firmware code on 8088 in-circuit emulators in the late 80s and early 90s. Just looking at the 6502 world again after a 30 year break. Have found it difficult to source a 6502 ICE. I know there are modern systems based around GODIL, etc. But as an old timer, I’d prefer an ICE from the past.

Just to be clear, I’m talking about a hardware ICE that comes with a header that you plug into the socket the 6502 CPU normally sits in, that provides disassembly, tracing and real hardware breakpoints for code in ROM. That I can connect to the target, switch on, and use via a Windows-type screen ideally on a PC. Not one where I have to build or compile anything (to create the ICE) or run from Linux - I'm an old dog, and new tricks like compiling stuff for GODIL are beyond my comprehension. Plus I just want to use it to debug code, not to recreate the 6502 in another form.

So if anyone knows where I could source a purpose-built 6502 ICE that would be really helpful. I've searched high and low for a Microtek/Micetek EasyPack 6502F. If anyone has an old ICE they no longer need then I'd be interested in possibly buying it :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:05 pm 

Maybe David Kelly could help to point you in the right direction?

viewtopic.php?p=16829#p16829

http://davidkel06.wix.com/davesprocesso ... t-emulator

Mike B.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:01 pm 

Welcome, x86vet. :)

In this post, danlb_2000 mentions that he has put together a web page regarding the Infotron System IF65. Perhaps his post, or others there, or his web page will be of some assistance.

Are you determined to use an ICE? Granted, it's an extremely powerful tool! 8) But, depending on your goals, there are simpler options which may suffice. What is/are the 6502 system(s) you want to study?

Cheers,
Jeff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:50 am 

Thanks for the replies. I really am looking for an old fashioned ICE with a Windows-type GUI, that I can use to debug embedded software. Not some kind of 6502 simulator.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:25 am 

I remember American Automation was one of the manufacturers of real emulators, but they were super expensive, probably $10K (back when that was a lot more money than it is today!). They would probably have a DOS interface, not Windows. There are undoubtedly ones sitting in storage somewhere that someone wouldn't mind taking $50 or $100 for, but they've forgotten about them, or the emulators are rather inaccessible. The little 6502 hardware debugging I've had to do, I was able to do without an emulator. I do hope you find one though. You might do well to look for an old, slow logic analyzer at the same time, since you'll probably find a suitable one sooner. We rented an HP1610A (IIRC) 10MHz logic analyzer at work for a short time in about 1987, but returned it since we found we didn't really need it. I got rid of a similar one a couple of years ago I would have been glad to give you if the shipping cost were acceptable.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:57 am 

I have no knowledge of this supplier, but they say they have refurb Microtek units. (Without A/C which I would suppose to mean Adapter/Charger, aka power supply, but I could be wrong)
http://www.codemicro.com/store/product/ ... bished.php

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:19 pm 

CodeMicro closed down in 2013. The website is still up and running, but you'll wait a long time for a reply to an InstantQuote request. Bizarre. The lights are on but no-one's home.

I've spoken with all the other suppliers on the web who claim to have a unit. None of them do.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:20 pm 

Oh, right - sorry!