6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 7:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Mass storage interface
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:47 pm 

So, I have my own emulator that I'm playing with. There are adventures about getting a FIG Forth going on it over in the Forth section.

One of my next steps is to add a "disk drive".

I already have 3 memory addresses for character I/O. One to tell me that a character is ready, another to read the character, and a third that I write to in order to put a character on the screen -- poor mans serial I/O without any actual bits and bauds.

For a "disk drive", what do these tend to look like on other systems?

In the end, for my needs, it really doesn't matter. I'm not performance sensitive, nor am I trying to match any specific piece of hardware in any detail. My assembly code will inevitably call some JSR that shrouds the "real work" anyway.

I could do something as simply as pick an arbitrary sector size (128, 512), have a 2 byte sector number, a 2 byte address pointing to the buffer, and a command byte to write a 1 or 2 to to read or write the sector. That's 8-32MB of data, which is -- ample. Add a byte for a "drive number".

I can do a serial protocol of some kind, copy the buffer through an address that I write to over and over. I won't add a "status" byte to check that the writing is done -- yea, that's how it "should be", but not on this system, not now.

But I was curious what disk interfaces look like on actual systems. Should I bother modeling one of those. Not really motivated to play "head, sector, track" games of yor. Math is hard, let's go shopping.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:56 pm 

I generic terms, you could look at Hard drives, CF modules in IDE mode, and flash drives as a sequence of blocks. 512 bytes per block seems to be widely used. So, you create a 512 byte buffer. You write data to the buffer and issue a write block command with the block # as a parameter. Same for reading. Issue a read block command with the block # as a parameter. The 512 bytes get moved into the buffer for processing.

Just one way to look at it.

Daryl

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:05 pm 

whartung wrote:
But I was curious what disk interfaces look like on actual systems. Should I bother modeling one of those. Not really motivated to play "head, sector, track" games of yor. Math is hard, let's go shopping.

My own preference is for SCSI, in which logical block addresses (LBA) are used. The device being addressed hides the ugliness of converting an LBA into cylinder-head-sector mumbo-jumbo. Disk sectors are 512 bytes each. In SCSI-1 (the original), you use a 21 bit LBA, and can read or write up to 256 blocks (sectors) at a time. So your math gets reduced to some pretty basic stuff. Multiplying or dividing by 512 is easy, nothing more than 9 rotates. If you want to get fancier, use SCSI-2 with 32 bit LBAs. It all works the same.