6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 10:41 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:43 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
BigEd wrote:
Well done - an ambitious project, and you completed it!

JavaScript is a good choice, I think - it's universally available, most programmers will have to use it at some point, and for all its flaws it's very capable of supporting good code. You can even write in a functional style if you choose!

Not to start a "conflict," but my opinion is Javascript is a horrible example of a "language." Outside of web browsers, Javascript has relatively little currency in the computing universe. No one is going to write an operating system or database engine in JS.

Neither wil either likely be done in ladder logic, but that doesn't make it go away.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:31 am 

It's rather surprising how people can get so very catty about this sort of thing.
I don't like Python, myself. The variables aren't typed, and the data is, which means you have to test the variable to find out what sort of data is in it(otherwise you get an exception). I probably just haven't found the right way of thinking, because the SB-Assembler is written in Python, and so are the Minecraft Forge tools, so it can't be too bad.

I'm not sure how you could do a really complicated thing like an OS in Ladder(I imagine that someone really imaginative will sooner or later, if they haven't already), but I figure that if you found/made a suitable program, you could write PLD code with it. Everything has its niche.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:43 am 

Depending what you'd expect the OS to do, I'd say I've seen many things more complicated than personal computer operating systems done in ladder logic.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:46 am 

I think it's absolutely fine to not like a language, and for a variety of reasons. But to say a language is bad, well, that should be supported by some critique of its features or omissions.

Of course, if a person takes a very narrow view of what a programming language should be like and what all programming languages should be appropriate for, they might come to some odd conclusions.

And if a person is tired or grumpy, well, perhaps we should not engage... I've certainly made the odd intemperate post before.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:45 am 

BigEd wrote:
And if a person is tired or grumpy, well, perhaps we should not engage... I've certainly made the odd intemperate post before.

I want a button so I can "Like" a post so I can come back to it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:56 pm 

I think every language has its place. Lets me think of the saying if you have a hammer in the hand, everything looks like a nail :-)

The C language, for example, is very suitable to write an operating system, but just try to write a financial system in C where the requirements change often.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:17 pm 

fastgear wrote:
I think every language has its place. Lets me think of the saying if you have a hammer in the hand, everything looks like a nail :-)

The C language, for example, is very suitable to write an operating system, but just try to write a financial system in C where the requirements change often.

Most business software that runs on PC compatibles has been written in C or C++. In the early days of the IBM PC, in which some models had no more memory than a Commodore 64, Lotus 123, a "financial system," was written entirely in 8088 assembly language.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:06 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
fastgear wrote:

Most business software that runs on PC compatibles has been written in C or C++. In the early days of the IBM PC, in which some models had no more memory than a Commodore 64, Lotus 123, a "financial system," was written entirely in 8088 assembly language.

I think a good amount of it is actually written in Delphi.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:23 am 

KC9UDX wrote:
BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
fastgear wrote:

Ahem...

Lotus 1-2-3 was released on 26 January 1983,...was cleanly programmed and relatively bug-free, gained speed from being written completely in x86 assembly language...

However, don't take my word for it. Fire up your favorite search engine...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:57 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
Ahem...

Lotus 1-2-3 was released on 26 January 1983,...was cleanly programmed and relatively bug-free, gained speed from being written completely in x86 assembly language...

I went to Wikipedia, and found this, word for word. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_1-2-3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:07 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
KC9UDX wrote:
BigDumbDinosaur wrote:

Ahem...

But Lotus 1-2-3 is not most business software that runs on PC compatibles.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:45 am 

!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:51 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
Ahem...

I went to Wikipedia, and found this, word for word. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_1-2-3

:D :D :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:04 pm 

KC9UDX wrote:
BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
KC9UDX wrote:
BigDumbDinosaur wrote:

Ahem...

But Lotus 1-2-3 is not most business software that runs on PC compatibles.

Not now, no. However, during the 1980s, Lotus was THE dominant small business application and had a lot to do with the overwhelming proliferation of the IBM PC in business, as much as Visi-Calc had a lot to do with making the Apple II successful.

The DOS 3.0 version of Lotus was the first version to be written in K&R C, as were all subsequent versions until Windows 3.0, if memory correctly serves me.