6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:50 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 11:21 pm 
I have been thinking of building a small homebrew computer (just for fun you know), and I would really like to use the 65CE02. Now I am lucky enough to have two of these bad boys still in the box from Commodore (2 MHz), but would like to know where I can get more.

Does anybody know who bought the CSG intellectual property when Commodore went under? I have searched the web and have come up with very little. Is there a place I can get some more?

Any help would be appreciated.

Derek

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 2:47 am 

Indeed it was exciting when it came out in the mid to late 80's:

available then at 10MHz
over 30 op codes that executed in a single clock (100ns @ 10MHz)
several new instructions not on the 65c02
movable base page (no longer confined to zero page)
relative branch (including subroutine) any branch distance
indirect indexed jump to subroutine
easier parameter-passing via the stack
16-bit stack pointer
additional register (Z).

I got a 4MHz sample, but when I tried to use it as a drop-in replacement for a 65c02 in a workbench computer a few years ago, it didn't work. I never did spend the time to find out if there was a timing requirement my board wasn't meeting, or what. The last time I talked to Commodore about it before they went under, they had discontinued it. I don't know how many they made, but I get the idea that it wasn't very many. As attractive as it was, I think the better way to go now would be to just use a 65c02 at anywhere from 4 to 20MHz, which would more than make up for the fact that it's not a 'CE02. Better yet, go for a 65c816. However, if you do find a source and don't buy up the entire inventory (ha ha), let us know! I have the data sheet here. I don't have any way to scan it to send as E-mail, but could copy it and send via USPS if someone needs it.

Garth

Report this post
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]