6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:36 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 3:35 am 

Hi,
Anyone here know if there's going to be another 6502.org Bulk Order for Western Design Center 65-series ICs? I took part in the previous one via a friend (we added our orders together and he sent them in).
It seems that getting 6502s in the UK is a fair bit harder than it is in the USA... I found no less than two companies selling 6502s cheaply, but the only one I found in the UK wanted the equivalent of USD30 for a single 6502A.

Later.
Phil.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 3:44 am 

I'm sure that Mike Nabarezny would be glad to do another WDC bulk order if it looks like there's enough interest to meet the minimum for either WDC or a California Micro Devices distributor. I'm not volunteering Mike's services-- just stating that I know he's interested in promoting the very reason for this forum. If he's not willing, then I might be. I don't want a lack of key parts to keep you guys from your 6502 projects; but I would want to know what I'm getting myself into as far as certain possible complications:

A. how to avoid non-payment for something I send out while at the same time giving the individual confidence that I won't take his check and disappear without sending the parts;

B. how to handle foreign orders. I'm not familiar with the process of currency exchange, etc..

C. I don't want to be held responsible for perceived defects. I say "perceived" because my 17 years in my industry has taught me that virtually no ICs from any manufacturer are shipped defective; yet even honest people will erroneously think they have a defective part, or damage the part without realizing that they themselves did the damage. I definitely can't give any warranty. The assumption has to be that any truly defective part is only defective because of what the user did to it.

Mike, how did you handle these issues before? Daryl, I'm sure you're starting to think about them with your SBC. It would be nice if we could work out a system that helps everyone.

Having leftover parts that are not bought up immediately is not a huge concern, since someone will eventually buy them or I'll use them myself. I just don't want to actually plan on a bunch of leftovers. I would hope that those who ask for certain parts do actually buy them.

Please note that I'm not promising to become a non-profit distributor yet, whether one-time or ongoing-- just weighing the possibilities to help a bunch of friends and promote something I enjoy and something that has made my work easier. Comments invited.

Garth

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 9:47 am 

I would be interested in buying a couple MPU's and VIA's if a bulk order were to be placed. I'm not planning on building too many SBC's but having a few extra parts around would be nice.

As far as the logistics go, I have had a few concerns about commitments, payments, shipping costs, etc. for my SBC project. In the end, I'm sure all will work out. I too am offering no warrantee. I've posted schematics and board layouts for those interested to inspect. I figure you buy at your own risk, and any problems will be worked out. I am buying several boards for myself, so have a vested interest in providing a quality board.

I can help with this project, if the need arises.

Daryl

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 10:50 am 

If it helps:
A surplus dealer, Fair Radio, has VIC-20 boards, which include an original NMOS 6502A, and two NMOS 6522's, and the VIC chip, etc. I bought several of these boards a few years ago, and most were functional. Most had the major chips in sockets - a couple had them soldered in, I think. The ROMs are sometimes socketed, but often not.
They also have C-16 keyboards, cheap. They do indeed work with the VIC-20 board, if you change the wiring as they suggest. A few keys (such as arrows) end up in the wrong place.

Fair Radio Sales is at:
http://www.fairradio.com
Below is their description. They are a famous and reputable surplus dealer, specializing in old military electronics and such.

Pete

MOTHERBOARDS for COMMODORE VIC-20, the ever-poplar 5K memory color computer which still has a dedicated following. All components intact. "Some worked, some didn’t" when we powered-up a sampling and so we are selling them "AS-IS." Good source of spare parts or, if your a gambler, the basis for cheap computer; 3 lbs. sh.
#VIC-01983 with two M58725 2Kx8 RAM or equal; requires 9 VAC and 5 VDC, $6.50 each; 5 for $20.00

COMMODORE C-16 KEYBAORD, originally p/o the C-16 computer---a short-lived transition computer between the VIC and C64. By switching a few wires, it will work with VIC on most keys. Change info included. 5x15x1.5; 3 lbs. sh. #KB-C16 $3.00 each; 5 for $10.00 (If purchased w/ VIC board $1.50 each; 5 for $5.00)

Report this post
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]