6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 11:14 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2000 8:47 pm 
Hello all. First off, thanks for being here, and doing that thing you do, 'cause otherwise, I would have no where to turn to to find help. :) I have 2 old Nintendo Entertainment Systems. To the best of my knowledge, the NES uses the 6502, so here I am. My idea is to build a portable NSF (NES Sound File) player just for the heck of it. I know squat about electronics and even less about programming, but I'm willing to learn. Does anyone here have any experience with this? Can anyone point me in the general direction of what I should read about to be able to do this?

Thanks in advance.

--
Anthony Bennett
http://welcome.to/TonyB

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2000 6:17 pm 
Here's a link, it might be a good starting point:

http://www.consoledev.com/nes/

Good luck.. ;)

Arlo

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2000 9:45 pm 
Uh, that helps with the software, but do you have anything you can tell me about the hardware end? Something in plain English, preferably? :)

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2000 2:59 am 
Actually, there are techincal documents at the site.. but unfortunately (I just actually read the architecture doc) the sound section wasn't finished! "Coming soon.." Heh.. that was a while ago.

Hmmmmmmmm.......

The main CPU IS a 6502 variant, but the sound chip is probably a seperate beast. I'm sure you've tried, but if not, try just random searching of the web for +NES +technical, etc.. etc...

To be honest, with the little experience you claim to have, I think that it would be pretty hard to make a stand-alone NES music player unless you really knew what you were doing. Not only would you have to program the actual player, you'd have to find a way to dump the music files to the player, as well as many many other things. I just think that unless you already know how to design and program mini computer systems it would be a tough job. A cool little thing if you could do it.. but a tough job..

Anyways,

Arlo

Report this post

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]