6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 8:01 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2000 3:43 pm 
I happened to be poking around the 'net looking up info about an old friend, the 6502. I have read most of the 6502-related stuff and find it interesting that, depending on your age, everyone has a different perspective on this.

I got involved in the Apple II in HS (1978). I didn't touch assembler programming until I got in college. I wrote my own assembler for the 6502-chip by writing a full-screen editor (with move subroutines in native machine code - page x'0300') for speed. Then I wrote a BASIC program that would assemble (product object code).

Eventually, after I got the bugs worked out (it took about 5 compiles with each running about 1/2 hour - slow disk times) and then used this assembler (assembled with the BASIC assembler) as my new assembler. Once you get a limited-function assembler, you can then grow your functionality. Kind of incestuous but still pretty neat.

After writing this, I moved some important storage to zero page and what a HUGE difference the 2 machine cyles per access made! Being a Wozniak-phile, I brutalized the code so it was as fast as could be made. It taught me a lot about bit manipulation (which is the final step in becoming a very good assembler coder).

Eventually, I used the RWTS Apple II subroutine to write my own disk directory search and disk read routines (to read a standard ASCII file without the DOS services.

I LOVED the 6502 design; the addressing modes, the accumulator, carry flags, SED, etc. Interestingly, if you ever get a chance to view Wozniak's original monitor, there is a routine called NXTA2 that cryptically sets multiple condition codes while incrementing a 2-byte pointer. What a tour-de-force. Or check out his BASCALC routine for driving the video storage base addresses.

Thanks for listening to this rambling.

Jim Lewandowski

Report this post

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]