6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 5:52 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2000 3:12 pm 
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me. I would like the schematics and part list to make a real 6502 based computer like an APPLE I not some programming tool. Could you please send me some information or tell me where to get some.

JD

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2000 3:02 pm 

Try www.6502.org , and go to the "homebuilt projects" section. Also, you'll find links there that will lead you to schematics for commercial 6502 systems, such as Commodore and Apple.

What capabilities do you want to have?

Pete

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2000 3:16 pm 
I want to make a clone of one of the early commercial computers like an apple one to play around and use apple I or the apple 2 and program with on an SVGA monitor or on an older monitor.

JD

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2000 5:26 pm 

To use a VGA monitor, you'll have to make a custom video interface, I think. The early Apples used TV's for monitors, right (I'm more familiar with the Commodores)?

Pete

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2000 6:40 pm 

The early Apple IIs used a composite out port, yes.

The Apple II/II+ wouldn't be too hard. The IIe/IIc/IIgs/IIc+ would be rather hard, especially the IIgs, with the large number of ASICs that it uses.

The Apple IIgs is, if I remember correctly, able to drive a VGA monitor if you make the right kind of cable adapter, but I've never seen that done.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2000 7:30 pm 
If you don't find what you're looking for in the links, the best source of schematics for the Apple II+ was from apple themselves. They packaged the "Apple II+ Technical Reference" with every Apple II+, and it not only included the complete schematic, but also a complete firmware listing (source code), detailed descriptions of the I/O connectors and expansion slots, etc.

I still see this book from time to time at used-computer stores (sometimes you have to ask if they have REALLY old stuff in a back room somewhere), swap meets, and Goodwill/Salvation Army type stores. If you find it, I would also strongly reccoment getting the Apple DOS manual. It will give you a lot of insight into their DOS, whether you want to work directly with it or just adapt parts of it to your own operating system.

The biggest problem you will face when trying to build an Apple II+ from scratch is, you can't get the disk drives anymore at any price -- or darned near that bad, anyway. The original floppy drives were prone to speed problems, and most owners didn't understand how to re-adjust the speed so they just threw the drive away when it started giving them too much trouble. Until a few years ago I would see used (and highly suspect) drives at the used computer stores from time to time, but thet are so obsolete now that it has been years since I've seen one for sale by itself -- you might actually have to buy the whole computer to get the drive!

Report this post

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]