6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:10 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:06 am 

drogon wrote:
Not 100% perfect I managed to swap over the Tx and Rx connections to the serial/power port but that's no big deal as there aren't really any standards for that anyway.

I tend to use the FTDI SIL interface for power and comms, but I still manage to get TX and RX the wrong way round half the time. MOSI and MISO at least give a hint as to direction, right up until it's not obvious which is master...

Neil

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:04 am 

I put the VIA onto it - complete with a bodge wire for the VIAs select signal which I forgot to route - doh!

Built up a board of lights (18 LEDs) on some stripboard and its working well:

Attachment:
IMG_20231222_221107_DRO.jpg
IMG_20231222_221107_DRO.jpg [ 368.01 KiB | Viewed 984 times ]

and if I have time then later today I'll write some code for it to make some patterns...

Cheers,

-Gordon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:18 pm 

drogon wrote:
I put the VIA onto it - complete with a bodge wire for the VIAs select signal which I forgot to route - doh!...

How did you get such a nice radius on the PCB corners?  Inquiring minds want to know.  :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:02 pm 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
drogon wrote:
I put the VIA onto it - complete with a bodge wire for the VIAs select signal which I forgot to route - doh!...

How did you get such a nice radius on the PCB corners?  Inquiring minds want to know.  :D

The RS-274X gerber standard does have G codes for arcs.  Single-quadrant (90°) circular interpolation is done with the G02 and G03 codes for clockwise and counterclockwise.  Multi-quadrant and fractional-quadrant circular interpolation is done with the G74 and G75 codes, and you specify not only starting and ending points, but also the arc center.  My own old CAD only goes in increments of 45°, and it does it by piecing together little straight segments.  I don't know if that's a limitation of the older RS-274D gerber standard.  The book I downloaded and printed that I refer to once in a while is 274X, as my old CAD only produces the 274D, and I have my templates set up to quickly make the conversion.  A few years ago my work required me to lay out a board that had the approximate shape and size of a violin tailpiece, which got kind of interesting but was not too hard.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:05 pm 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
drogon wrote:

I use a program called Fritzing for schematic capture and PCB layout. One of it's features is that it allows me to design a PCB shape using Inkscape - so that's how I can do cut-outs and isolation slots for high voltage stuff, etc. or PCBs shaped like trees and it's and how I did the final PCBs for the Ruby816 project with their opposite rounded corners..

However, for this, Fritzing has a pre-made shape with rounded corners and I just specify the X & Y size - 90x100mm in this case and it does it for me. It has many pre-made shapes for things like Arduino shields, Raspberry Pi HATs and so on.

And while I use Fritzing, I really don't recommend it. I'm only using it now as I've used it for the past 14 years-ish.

-Gordon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:30 pm 

I have a question, too, please. What does the 74xx573 LE (Latch Enable) signal look like? Is it an active-high pulse qualified by the clock?

TIA. Happy Holidays. Mike

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:04 am 

Michael wrote:
I have a question, too, please. What does the 74xx573 LE (Latch Enable) signal look like? Is it an active-high pulse qualified by the clock?

TIA. Happy Holidays. Mike

Essentially yes.

It's a transparent latch and I used them as I had a few when I considered using them in my '816 project otherwise I might have used something else. (And because I had a few I'd already used them some years back in my original 6502 project, so knew they'd work)

Here is the logic in the GAL:

Code:
;********************************************************************************
;* Latch:
;*   An 8-bit latch - it latches data on the falling edge and is transparent
;*   when high, so output is normally low and toggles high to low on a write.
;********************************************************************************

LTCH = latchOut & /RW & CLK

latchOut is the address ($00F8)

-Gordon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:24 pm 

Finally gotten round to writing some code for it: Trivially animated tree (aka. Festering, Festive Blinkenlights)

https://unicorn.drogon.net/6507-tree.mp4

Non Youtube video link... Enjoy..

I've arranged that to auto-start and powered it off a USB power bank thing. Lets hang it on the tree and see how long it lasts!

I was going to implement a 'wiring' interface directly in TinyBasic (pin based, digitalRead, digitalWrite, etc.) but really no more room in the 4KB ROM, so sort of did it in Basic..

I won't subject you to the whole horrors of it all, but the active part of the program running those lights is this:

Code:
200 L = RND % 18
210 IF RND % 2 = 0 GOSUB 2 : GOTO 200
220 GOSUB 5 : GOTO 200

Happy festivities.

Cheers,

-Gordon