6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: MARC-3 Modular computer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:43 pm 

After a period of abstinence, I’d like to make a new start. In the mean time I’ve got back my first computer, the TI-99/4A. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Instruments_TI-99/4A Back in the early 80’s, I only had the bare console, the Extended BASIC Cartridge, and the Program Recorder. I learned BASIC programming on it.

By coincidence, I could get a console, which had defective RAM, for a fraction of the ongoing eBay prices. (they are pretty expensive here in Europe) It’s in an adorable condition. :) In the 80’s, to use the system to its full potential you’d have to buy a Peripheral Expansion System. Now it’s possible to buy a small PCB which replaces the big and expensive PEB. http://webpages.charter.net/nanopeb/

Point of this story is, there is an extension, a replacement FPGA for the TMS9918A Video Display Processor, VDP. Of course it has a twist to the original TMS9918A, it has a standard 640 x 480 @ 60Hz VGA output. Aside from reproducing all the original functionality of the TMS9918A, the F18A has some nice extra features:

http://codehackcreate.com/archives/335

640×480@60 analog VGA output
    A binary compatible TMS9900-based GPU
    Horizontal and vertical scroll registers with page support
    All 32 sprites can be displayed on the same scan line
    Removed the VDP “speed limit”, so you can’t over run reading or writing to it
    80-column mode
    64 programmable 12-bit color registers, which means a 4096 color palette
    30-row mode (32×24 tiles or 32×30 tiles (256×240 resolution))
    A real bitmap layer with up to 4 colors per pixel (2-bit color)
    Enhanced attributes for tiles and sprites
    Each sprite can set its own 8×8 or 16×16 size independently
    Sprites can be “linked”
    1-bit, 2-bit, and 3-bit color modes for tiles and sprites
    A “fixed” tile map that allows individual tiles to not be affected by scrolling
    Two 32-bit 100MHz counters, one dedicated to the GPU, the other for the host CPU
    Two 32-bit 100MHz Linear Feedback Shift Register (LFSR) random number generators
    Programmable horizontal scan line interrupt

No, I have no interest in helping to sell them. ;)
However, I’m planning to buy one for my TI-99/4A, and one for my upcoming computer, MARC-3. As I’m learning the TMS9900 assembly language, I’d like to program some “applications” for both systems.

While both claim to be 16-bit CPU’s, the TMS9900 and the W65C816S are *REALLY* different beasts! To name a few things:

Code:
65816                     <->            9900
A, X, Y registers         <->            16 relocatable general purpose registers
little endean             <->            big endean
short relative branches   <->            long branches
long jumps                <->            short relative jumps
7 = MSB                   <->            0 = MSB
relocatable stack         <->            no stack

Learning from the mistakes and experience of MARC-1 and MARC-2, I’d like MARC-3 to be a modular computer with a ground plane. Using 5V parts for the whole system. My motivation is pretty simple:
I want to have an experimental computer, making interfaces as I go. No doubt, the trade off will be speed, but I’m perfectly satisfied when it’s capable of running on 4 to 8MHz.

The basic system will consist of:

Code:
•   CPU                     W65C816S
•   RAM                     AS6C4008
•   ‘ROM’                   ATMEGA1284P
•   GLUE LOGIC              XC95108 PC84
•   DUART                   SC28L92

Additional interfaces / features will consist of:

Code:
•   SPI                     65SPI XC9572 PC44
•   RTC                     RV-3049-C2
•   VGA Display             F18A FPGA based Video Display Processor
•   Keyboard & Mouse        W65C22S
•   2x Joystick             W65C22S
•   Universal GPIO          W65C22S
•   Storage                 SPI Compact Flash Interface
•   Synthesizer             SID
•   Sound samples           MX7528JN
•   Speech                  SP0256A-AL2
•   MIDI                    SC26C92
•   DMA Controller          XC95288XL TQ144 CPLD (5V tolerant)

Of course these are a lot of peripherals, but that’s the beauty of having a modular system, I can expand as I please. Although the XC95288XL is a 3.3V device, it’s 5V tolerant. I’d probably try with pull up resistors, but that’s for later. And of course the key features are in the basic system, which will be build first.

The memory map will be the same as MARC-2, except for the SID, I’ll probably decode the SID to 54272, $D400, that’s the memory location of the first SID register in the Commodore 64. This way I have access to “High Voltage SID Collection” without having to convert the tunes. :) Or I’ll make the base address selectable from $00BFxx to $00D400.

Code:
RAM:       $000000-$00BEFF
I/O:       $00BF00-$00BFFF
ROM:       $00C000-$00FFFF
RAM:       $010000-$07FFFF

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:53 pm 

This is the bus I'm going to use. I read about S-100, ISA and PCI busus, but this is the most convenient way to put the data and address lines for 65816.
Attachment:
Clipboard01.png
Clipboard01.png [ 128.14 KiB | Viewed 5283 times ]

Soon I'll start on building the ground plane, here is the layout.
Attachment:
2.png
2.png [ 147.37 KiB | Viewed 5283 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:29 pm 

For improved high-frequency performance, let me encourage you to distribute the ground and power pins better, so the ground return current for any given signal is much closer, resulting in less inductance as well as less unwanted coupling between signals. The goes even when there's a true ground plane. We talked about this before, I think in one of EE's topics, but I can't find it now. The sticky topic "Techniques for reliable high-speed digital circuits" should help. See how I distributed the grounds and bypassed power pins in my 4Mx8 10ns 5V SRAM module, in the data sheet at http://wilsonminesco.com/WM-1_4Mx8SRAMm ... -15-13.pdf . Every signal pin is within .200" of either a ground pin or a bypassed power pin which serves as an AC ground connection. In the early days of computer buses like STD and S-100, rise times were much longer so this wasn't critical. Today parts are much faster and their rise times much shorter.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:10 pm 

Thanks for the info Garth.