6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: New SBC-3 OS
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:47 pm 

Hey everyone.

Firstly a big thanks to Daryl who has been really great in helping me get my SBC-3 working - very much appreciated!

I have been playing around with the SBC OS and have made some modifications which make the machine more usable for me and so I thought I would share them with everyone. This is very much work in progress - I would like to do far more but have lots of time constraints at the moment hence releaseing just the little bit I have modified.

The new version can be found at http://sbc3.mesham.com/oubliette.zip

Modifications
======
* Commands are more like unix commands
* Added the pwd (print working directory) command
* Lower cased commands
* Ctrl Break will do a soft reset (similar to pressing reset button)
* Short start up message (only a couple of lines)
* If the command is not found it will look for a corresponding file in your /bin/ directory (on IDE media) and execute it
* Modifed message comming back from list directory to be more readable
* A few more misc things I can not remember.

The whole idea is to have a few "core", fast, commands in the ROM code and the rest can be in the IDE bin directory. The next thing will be to allow for command line arguments to be passed to programs upon execution. As I say, it is very much work in progress and there is much to be done still.

The OS files requires the latest Xilinx chip firmware (also required for Daryl's cc65 port.) I don't think Daryl has had the chance to upload his firmware updates to his site yet but it should be quite easy to get the OS working on earlier versions.

Nick

Post subject: Re: New SBC-3 OS
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:18 am 

polas wrote:
The OS files requires the latest Xilinx chip firmware (also required for Daryl's cc65 port.) I don't think Daryl has had the chance to upload his firmware updates to his site yet but it should be quite easy to get the OS working on earlier versions.

I will make the updates available to anyone interested. I have kept the data on my website for supporting the stock SBC-3. I may add a modifications page to include hardware and software. I just have not gotten there yet.

Great work getting your mods all together. Once I revamp my site, I'll add a place for user contributions, and add yours to it.

Daryl