6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 4:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: SBC3 Keyboard
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:00 pm 

Stated a new topic so we can better track investigation of PS2 keyboard interfacing with the SBC3.

Testing so far has been limited but a little surprising and confusing.

I tested the HP keyboard and it worked. I was surprised because like the Microsoft keyboards it has a bunch of extra functions, e.g., audio control. I thought those functions might imply some difference in how the keyboard responds.

I found this http://www.computer-engineering.org/ps2keyboard/ and in looking at it there seems to be a thought that the first thing the host (SBC3 in our case) should do is wait for the "AA" from the keyboard for the post power on test.

I am looking at Vince Briel's "Pocket Term" code and trying to determine what it is doing. That is a slow process as that product uses a Propeller and I am not familiar with it's assembly language.

I think I need to build a break out connector pair so I can look at the data and clock lines with either my scope or my logic analyzer.

Vince is correct that the actual data rate is slow enough that there should be no issue with CPU speed. Collisions might be a different issue.

Rich