6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: LED Blink Sample
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:23 am 

With the Arduino, BS2, or Propeller chip the first thing I always do is get an LED blinking. From there it is usually a short trip to bit banging stepper motor control signals. So I finally got something working using ehBasic, an LED, and a 6522. The program below sets PB0 for output and toggles the LED on and off 16 times.

Code:
10 REM Toggle VIA2.PB0 LOW and HIGH
20 REM Set up common VIA2 constants
30 Via2PRB=$7f60
40 Via2DDRB=$7f62
50 FOR X = 0 TO 16
60 REM Set VIA2.PB0 as output
70 A = PEEK Via2DDRB
80 A = A AND $FE
90 POKE Via2DDRB, A
100 A = PEEK Via2PRB
110 A = A EOR $01
120 POKE Via2PRB, A
130 FOR Y = 1 TO 100
140 NEXT Y
150 NEXT X

Post subject: Re: LED Blink Sample
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:45 am 

In EhBASIC only the first 2 letters of variables are significant. So Via2PRB and Via2DDRB are the same variable: Vi. You are toggling the VIA's DDRB register instead of the PRB register, because that is the last definition of Vi. Of course that still works, if the LED is between Vcc and the port pin. PRB defaults to $00 after a reset. The port pin will start sinking current when it is defined as output and go to high-Z when it is not.

But you are not alone. I made the very same mistake in my first EhBASIC program.

edit: You will find more errors in your little program, if you fix the variables.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:13 pm 

Klaus2m5 wrote:
In EhBASIC only the first 2 letters of variables are significant. So Via2PRB and Via2DDRB are the same variable: Vi. You are toggling the VIA's DDRB register instead of the PRB register, because that is the last definition of Vi. Of course that still works, if the LED is between Vcc and the port pin. PRB defaults to $00 after a reset. The port pin will start sinking current when it is defined as output and go to high-Z when it is not.

But you are not alone. I made the very same mistake in my first EhBASIC program.

edit: You will find more errors in your little program, if you fix the variables.

Thanks for the feedback as that was exactly what I was looking for by posting this. I will fix that error and then find the others.

This is also an 80's flashback, that used to be common behavior among Pascal compilers, although I think it was six or eight characters that they considered significant. Used to drive me crazy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:16 pm 

After discovering the BITSET and BITCLR commands this got much easier.

Code:
10 REM Set up common VIA2 constants
20 PB=$7f60
30 DB=$7f62
40 REM Set VIA2.PB0 as output
50 BITSET DB,0
60 FOR X = 0 TO 16
70 BITSET PB,0
80 GOSUB 200
90 BITCLR PB,0
100 GOSUB 200
110 NEXT X
120 END
200 REM Delay loop
210 FOR Y=1 TO 50
220 NEXT Y
230 RETURN

I probably need a better way to wait than a delay loop. I've heard that 6522's have a one shot timer, so I'll need to see if that can help.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:45 pm 

Martin_H wrote:
I probably need a better way to wait than a delay loop. I've heard that 6522's have a one shot timer, so I'll need to see if that can help.

The 6522 has two timers with several operating modes, but by themselves they might not give as much delay as you want. The methods in my article at http://wilsonminesco.com/multitask/index.html on Simple methods for multitasking without a multitasking OS, for systems that lack the resources to implement a multitasking OS, or where hard realtime requirements would rule one out anyway, can be implemented even in a simple BASIC system. Then you can do other useful things while delaying, instead of wasting that processor time in a delay loop. The delays will be pretty accurate regardless of other things you have going at the same time.