6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 10:15 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: where to buy 65c816?
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 7:34 pm 

hi

i need to buy those chips, and unfortunatly noone is selling them around here (poland). if anyone knows some supplierss (WDC is out - i've already spoken with them), or anyone can buy them for me (i even don't know their price).. anyway i need only two, and probably this is the reason WDC wont talk with me...

regards

candle

Post subject: Re: where to buy 65c816?
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 11:12 pm 

candle wrote:
hi

i need to buy those chips, and unfortunatly noone is selling them around here (poland). if anyone knows some supplierss (WDC is out - i've already spoken with them), or anyone can buy them for me (i even don't know their price).. anyway i need only two, and probably this is the reason WDC wont talk with me...

regards

candle

Unfortunately so; WDC imposes a minimum of a $100 order before they will ship you anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 5:41 am 

> Unfortunately so; WDC imposes a minimum of a $100 order

but Mike recently gave us the good news that 6502.org will soon be a distributor so you can buy even a single part at a time if you wish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 9:53 pm 

That is good news. Reading some of these posts I was nearly ready to invest $100 or so just to help out the community, but I don't have a good way to handle credit cards or micropayments (maybe PayPal?).

Hey, that Mike. What a guy.

I see Jameco carries a few parts. Any good feel for what they have and what sorts of speeds to expect? Seemed like the catalog (oh, how I hate PDF files, the speedbump of the Internet, where Flash is the pothole) was a little vague but I haven't looked at it in a week. Are there other good sources for 65xx-related chips, wire-wrap sockets & pins, proto-boards, etc. that are retail-friendly? DigiKey's online catalog is a horror even over broadband. Don't these guys want to sell stuff? I've been out of the hardware scene a looooong time unless you count "building" PCs out of prefab mainboards and prebuilt drive modules (and I don't).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 11:25 pm 

.pdf's do have some nice advantages though, like being able to zoom in and out and search. So what's the sinkhole? Maybe junkmail and pop-ups?

Jameco's 65xx stuff will mostly be 2MHz. Check out Debco too www.debco.com/db_online/index.htm , and JDR Microdevices www.jdr.com/interact/categories.asp?cat ... d+Circuits . These still won't have the faster 65-family parts though. For the other prototyping parts, tools, and supplies, I also use Digi-Key www.digi-key.com , Mouser www.mouser.com , Allied www.alliedelec.com , and Newark www.newark.com . Newark's online catalog is a real pain. Allied may be the only one of these that has the wire-wrap PLCC sockets. Digi-Key has an incredible stock of ICs, but Digi-Key is generally kind of expensive all around. Mouser has good prices but not nearly as many ICs as Digi-Key. All of these companies listed here will handle very small orders. Some have no minimum order at all, but will charge an extra $5 if your order totals less than perhaps $20. Some manufacturers will let you buy small quantities of parts directly from them for prototyping. Maxim www.maxim-ic.com/StartPage.htm is one of those. (Remember Dallas is part of Maxim now too.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 3:33 pm 

once again... since i can't buy those chips, maybe i'll find them somewhere else - i know that super nintendo has one, and apple II GS is another (but i need confirmation on apple) - anything else has it?

regards

candle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 1:02 pm 

Vanguard Electronics at http://www.vanguardelectronics.com/index.cfm seems to list several '816s in their inventory. They show the 65C816S8P-14 at 30 units in stock. Located in Wading River, NY, USA. They also mention "world-wide" stocking on their home page.

No idea about pricing, or whether they'd accept any sort of retail order large or small.

They also seem to have 65c02 and 65c22 chips. Anyone ever tried buying from them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 6:52 am 

For the SNES, the 816 core is on a custom chip, so you can't directly do a plug and play, as far as I can tell. might be wrong as heck on some earlier versions, but later versions, it s all integrated, muxch like they did with the 8 bit system, using the 65c02 core....

Post subject: 65Cxx Chips
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:42 am 
Site Admin

dilettante wrote:
That is good news. Reading some of these posts I was nearly ready to invest $100 or so just to help out the community, but I don't have a good way to handle credit cards or micropayments (maybe PayPal?).

Hey, that Mike. What a guy.

Thanks.

I've already built up a small inventory of all of the WDC 65Cxx chips with the exception of the 65C22 in PDIP. This will be arriving very shortly as it recently came off of backorder. In the near future I will be keeping all of these chips "in stock" for hobbyists. 6502.org will make an extremely small profit off of the sales of the chips that will go back into the website, and the chips will still be cheaper than buying directly from WDC.

I will be putting up a webpage with the pricelist and ordering information sometime this month. In the meantime, if you'd like to order something just e-mail me with the quantities and your location and I'll try to help you out.

Regards,
Mike