6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 2:19 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:02 pm 

Martin_H wrote:
BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
On close inspection, it appears he used standard “cube” relays, which are relatively slow, as relays go.  If I were ever to become sufficiently deranged to undertake such a project, I would use cradle-style relays, which are three-to-four times faster (and more expensive).

Relays seem to have more varieties than transistors. They differ in voltages, number of contacts, AC versus DC, and now they even have different switching speeds!?

What I want are decorative relays with clear cases that make noise as they switch! Plus some blinkenlights.

The P&B R10 and Panasonic relays I earlier referenced have clear cases.  Individually, neither is noisy, but a panel full of them, especially if said panel is made of sheet metal, should make quite a bit of noise while computing.  Of the two types, the Panasonic relays are faster and consume less coil power.  Also, their pin layout is conducive to use on printed circuit boards—the R10’s pin layout is awkward.

DC relays with integral LED indicators are available, but tend to be overpriced.  If I were building this contraption, I’d use regular LEDs.

Quote:
At the suggestion of Dr. Matt Regan I took a look at Dieter Mueller's relay ALU which is here: http://www.6502.org/users/dieter/a3/a3_4.htm
It is a marvel of economical design.

Speaking of relay circuits, most complex designs are drawn using detached contact notation.  I gave an example of that in the relay flip-flop circuit I earlier posted.  Dieter’s drawing is in attached contact notation, which can quickly become unwieldy as complexity increases.

The style I use parallels electromechanical telephone PABX practice, which, in turn, apparently borrowed its style from late 19th century railroad signaling circuits.  In PABX notation, a relay coil is depicted as a rectangle with a fraction next to it and an integer within the rectangle boundaries.  The integer is the cold DC resistance of the coil.  The fraction’s numerator is the relay’s name, and the corresponding denominator is the number of active (not total) contact sets in the relay.

Individual contact sets are notated with the relay’s name and a number.  So a 4-Form-C relay designated “ABC/3” would have three active contact sets named “ABC1”, “ABC2” and “ABC3”.  The fourth contact set would not be connected to anything.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 5:45 am 

I've noodled ideas for relay logic in the past (I was trained by the BBC, and an awful lot of signal switching (1970s) was done with 48v relays) and I see that relays in small bulk are available for around 20 cents each for SPST types. It's always a trade-off between voltage and current - most seem to be around the same power (for similar types) so I'd probably work with 12v types to keep the current manageable.

A little lateral thought might tempt you to make a clocked system which has a higher voltage at the start of the clock pulse and then a lower holding voltage, to save power - in many cases, the holding voltage is only about 60-70% of the pull-in voltage. Designing such a circuit might be, um, interesting...

The other main thought: do you use a single type of relay throughout (spst?) or do you experiment with dpst (or more poles) or with latching relays? Do you use a single logic 'gate' type, or do you get creative with routing voltages (and directions!)? The opportunities are endless.

Neil

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 6:24 am 

barnacle wrote:
A little lateral thought might tempt you to make a clocked system which has a higher voltage at the start of the clock pulse and then a lower holding voltage, to save power - in many cases, the holding voltage is only about 60-70% of the pull-in voltage. Designing such a circuit might be, um, interesting...

In our aircraft intercoms, I always put a resistor in series with the coil, and a capacitor across the resistor, so the relay coil would get the full voltage for the pull-in, tapering off to just a holding voltage after that.  It might not be appropriate though for a relay computer where the cycle times might not be much longer than time needed to pull the armature in, let it settle, and release it again.  (Remember that the capacitor also needs time to discharge through the resistor after you release the relay; otherwise it won't allow a full-strength pulse for the next pull-in.)  Sure, you could make a more-complex circuit to pulse the armature voltage; but then what's the point in making a relay computer.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 7:11 am 

Yes, that's always the trade-off - simplicity against efficiency.

Neil

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 1:44 pm 

barnacle wrote:
... I see that relays in small bulk are available for around 20 cents each for SPST types.

Do you have a link? The cheapest I have seen is $0.99. I have enough for this project, but if it goes well I might do something crazy (e.g. The world's worst math coprocessor for the 6502). Even a modest decrease in cost would make it more approachable.

barnacle wrote:
The other main thought: do you use a single type of relay throughout (spst?) or do you experiment with dpst (or more poles) or with latching relays? Do you use a single logic 'gate' type, or do you get creative with routing voltages (and directions!)? The opportunities are endless.

Most of the relay projects I have seen online standardize on a single relay to ease PCB design and construction. That way you don't get confused and wire something wrong because the relay had a different pinout. Latching relays would seem a natural fit for building registers, but I haven't seen them used.

Harry Porter's machine standardized on four pole double throw relays because he could use two relays for the enable logic to control the bus. He also had a standard wiring that allowed a single relay to have multiple logic function outputs. I imagine that came in handy because sometimes it's handy to have both the AND, NOT, and OR simultaneously available.

True story. I discovered his machine because of a typo. Years ago I was trying to search for Harry Potter, and replaced a t with an r. I then spent hours studying his machine, and never redid my original search. I emailed him and he got a laugh out of it.

@Garth, wow, that capacitor coupled with a resistor is a really flexible circuit element.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 2:34 pm 

Try this: https://www.lcsc.com/product-detail/Sig ... 02426.html

There are other voltages in the same series.

Neil

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 2:55 pm 

@Neil, thanks. Wow, I thought I had a good price, but I could have brought over a hundred for what I paid.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 10:06 pm 

I have been reading the design documents for the Mercia computer and it is interesting. He has a diode ROM, whichever isn't too crazy. But he has two types of RAM, static RAM built from relays for page zero, and dynamic RAM using capacitors with relays to charge and read values. The later is really interesting as I have never heard of it before.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 10:38 pm 

What about core memory?

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 10:42 pm 

Martin_H wrote:
I have been reading the design documents for the Mercia computer and it is interesting. He has a diode ROM, whichever isn't too crazy. But he has two types of RAM, static RAM built from relays for page zero, and dynamic RAM using capacitors with relays to charge and read values. The later is really interesting as I have never heard of it before.

I’ve not seen the schematic for the Mercia unit, but I think the capacitors may be acting as surge devices to allow the relays to be operated at reduced coil power.  Most DC relays will pull at 80 percent of nominal coil voltage, but will maintain state down to around 10 percent.  So it is possible to operate the relay through a series resistor that is the same resistance as the coil resistance, with a fairly large capacitor in parallel with the resistor.

On voltage application, the (discharged) capacitor momentarily “shorts out” the resistor, applying full voltage to the coil.  As the capacitor charges, the coil voltage decays, but stays in the range that will maintain the relay.  Continuous coil power is reduced to about 25 percent of what it would be at full voltage.

The one disadvantage of this arrangement is the maximum cycle rate of the relay is significantly reduced, since voltage must be removed long enough for the capacitor’s charge to dissipate through the resistor.  If voltage is reapplied too soon, the capacitor’s shunting effect will be insufficient and the relay may not pull.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 1:30 pm 

JimBoyd wrote:

What about core memory?

Core memory is still available and the Mercia design docs say he considered it. But the circuitry requirements were too complicated.

As I understand it, core memory has a destructive read, so a write back after read is required. The process of reading and writing is also difficult because it is essentially a form of magnetic media.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 8:47 pm 

Although it's a form of magnetic media, there are no moving parts such as a spinning disk or rotating drum; therefore, there is no seek time.