6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:51 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:00 am 

Our forum user kc5tja has published this article on how to use SPI as a kind of GPIB replacement:
https://falvotech.com/tmp-blog/20240207.html

I found it actually really nice, but noticed he hasn't posted it here, so I'll do it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:05 am 

I'll also re-post my comments I made on mastodon here as documentation:

---
very well thought out!
I suggest an error bit in the length field so that the device can signal unrecoverable problems during read and the need to end the tx and read the error chan for details.
And maybe a note that deselecting the device from the controller cuts any transactions short, and the device should just assume data transferred so far, and on next listen/talk continue with the next bytes
---
I believe the error bit would handle the case where e.g. a drive reacts with read timeout.
Sorry if I have missed how you handle this situation
---
I know there are several devices that use a status return like you propose to throttle transfers. How do you imagine this being implemented?
If a device is really slow, a processor would probably not be able to do that reliability. Do you imagine some hardware support?
---
Another thing. Do you want to mandate a specific SPI mode? Working with different modes can be a pain depending on your hardware support. I'd suggest mode 3, which is the one the VIA shift register and the 74LS164 do out-of-the-box.
---

André

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:15 pm 

The article is mostly related to what information is transferred.  But for the hardware, remember we have our 65SIB (6502.org Serial Interface Bus), which is intended to be used as an external bus like GPIB but accommodating SPI, Microwire, dumb shift registers, and similar interfaces, very flexible, hobbyist-friendly, allowing (but not requiring) plenty of intelligence and autoconfiguration if desired.  Samuel Falvo was going to do a similar thing for fewer wires, which would require more address decoding logic or intelligence; but I don't think he ever did it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:46 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
The article is mostly related to what information is transferred.  But for the hardware, remember we have our 65SIB (6502.org Serial Interface Bus), which is intended to be used as an external bus like GPIB but accommodating SPI, Microwire, dumb shift registers, and similar interfaces, very flexible, hobbyist-friendly, allowing (but not requiring) plenty of intelligence and autoconfiguration if desired.  Samuel Falvo was going to do a similar thing for fewer wires, which would require more address decoding logic or intelligence; but I don't think he ever did it.

Note that the 65SIB has an /IRQ line, so that a protocol could specify using that to alert the host that there is some device that has a critical error.

Also note that some SPI devices report error conditions by the value returns on a host byte out cycle, such as giving a function token or a segment address, where a 0 back on all bits is all clear, and a 1 back on any bit is an error condition. Typically that is an error state, so if the error happens before sending bit 5, the MISO byte is %00000111, but in any event, if the SPI_TRX return accepts the MOSI byte in A and returns the MISO byte in A, and loading the MISO byte is the last action before RTS, then the Z flag returning from those actions will indicate whether there has been an error return, and if the Z flag is considered too easily over-written, returning an error state in the C flag would only add 4-5 clocks to SPI_TRX.